Written Up for the First Time

slayer

So, I was working on the bulk line today and someone got pulled in the break room and they were written up for something earlier in the week. A supervisor told us that they are writing up people for infractions in the past two weeks. I began to worry because..

I have a FT sup who is EXTREMELY lenient. Like, I have taken a day off every week for the past few weeks and sometimes show up a few minutes late every day. I am not a bad employee as I work my ass off there and usually the last person to leave, but since he is so lenient, most other people on my dock do the same thing. So, I never felt too threatened. But I am worrying because I have never been written up before in the 3 years I have been there but in the last two weeks I have come in late and called Off twice.

I am an extremely good employee. I feel like I have to reiterate that because I dont know if that will reflect on my write up. I feel like I am going to go from no write ups in 3 years, to being fired just because of the last few weeks. I work at the Hodgkins location and I am freaking out. I feel like I dont understand all these infraction rules. I know all my supervisors will stick up for me due to how much I help them. I just want to know if I should be worried???

I do have a past of calling off here and there, but no one has ever brought it up to me. I have never done a no call no show and always call in. What do I do?

upschuck

You'll be fine, maybe a warning letter at most, anything else is not proper, and would result in back pay. Don't worry and have a good weekend.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

They're not going to fire you right from the write up. But if you are so concerned you should probably try to be on time and not call out. I'm pretty lenient with my guys, but there reaches a point where it really becomes a problem, even once a week. Everybody then wants a day off. We generally try to staff as close to the perfect amount we can (obviously accounting for vacations) so consistently calling out makes life tougher for us and your coworkers.

UPSGUY72

Hold on a minute your NOT a extremely good employee. You yourself say you can't show up to work on time everyday and been calling in once a week for the past couple of weeks.

"Extremely" good employees show up to work everyday on time and don't take advantage of there extremely lenient SUP lack of enforcing the rules know that if they break the rules nothing going to happen....

Also "extremely" good employees don't ask should they be worried...

Just show up to work everyday and on time and you won't have anything to worry about....

Rain Shield

So you should get different treatment because you are an "Extremely Good Employee"?

This is the exact reason why our current part-time work force is awful. Management is not doing their job.

Hey, I understand where they can mess around with stuff that is of opinion, but attendance an issue that has no opinion.

People wonder why that guy who calls in, has missort issues, not dependable keeps his job.

In will tell you why. They finally get tired of it and try to fire him for attendance, but it turns out he has better attendance than the so called " Extremely Good Employee ".

I have never seen it this bad in all of my years. Heck, you can count on 1 hand how many times I was late or had an unexcused absence in my first 5 years. Am I special, heck no, that was the way it used to be.

By the way, you old timers who were part time and loaded or unloaded trailers or in Feeder, know I have been here a minute by my name.

I have not seen a rainshield in over 25 years.

clean hairy

An extremely good employee doesn't show up for work at a time which is convenient for them, they show up at the assigned start time. An extremely good employee works a full 5 day workweek, just like the rest of the employees, NOT a 4 day workweek which they decide is more suitable to them.

box_beeyotch

So many UPSers are so afraid of discipline like we're still in elementary school and their going to call your parents. A warning letter doesn't mean jack ish, let's be honest. With that being said, show up to work on time. It's not a hard concept.

slayer

I appreciate all the responses. And yes, I am an extremely good employee. I don't come into work 30-45 minutes after start time. It may be 1-2 minutes a few times per week. Doesn't mean I come in whenever I feel like it, but I agree I should leave a bit earlier.

I'm not asking for special treatment here. I'm not asking NOT to get written up, I'm asking if I should be worried about my past two weeks. That's great that you have been there for that many years without any call offs, but I work with a number of people who have been there for over 20 years, and one that has been there for over 35 years and they do the same thing sometimes. Hell, I'm pretty sure they call off more than I do. My FT is pretty lenient.

Point is, I am a good employee. Maybe I am not there at 4:45 on a Monday, but I'll be damn sure to be there at 4:46 or 4:47 and stay there until the work is done. I will start leaving earlier, but that was never my question. My question was should I be worried and some of you kind people have answered. Thank you very much!

barnyard

KTM rider
Good employees are not 'just a little late a couple days a week.'

You need to luck up the definition of 'good employee.' I am betting you will not find your photo there.

Maybe check into average or slightly below average. Probably find a better match there.

TheScratchKid

I appreciate all the responses. And yes, I am an extremely good employee. I don't come into work 30-45 minutes after start time. It may be 1-2 minutes a few times per week. Doesn't mean I come in whenever I feel like it, but I agree I should leave a bit earlier.
Early is on time, on time is late, and late is unacceptable.

clean hairy

How times have changed.
As recent as 20 yrs ago if not longer, part time would show up even 1 minute late and would be sent home on the basis "If you cannot show up on time, we don't need you, we already adjusted our staffing since it appeared you would not be here"
And, that was the beginning of the end for that person. The next time late, they got a write up, then, warning letter, then they were gone as quick as 2 weeks.
The record was 4 days, and the Union could do nothing because the person did not care to show up on time.
Of course, back then you almost had to know someone to get on, they were not taking just anyone who had a pulse like they do now.

Shep92

Anyone ever noticed higher seniority people never get disciplined while lower seniority people are always targeted? Seen it too many times at my hub.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Contract states we are to report to work with enough time to be ready to go at start time.

The look on my center manager's face when a driver walks in during the PCM is priceless.

If I walk in at 8:30 for an 8:30 start time, I'm on time :D If before I punch out it rolls to 8:31, then I'm late. If it doesn't, though, then I'm 100% on time