X-mas Eve?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do you guys think we will have to work on Christmas eve? I know we have in the past but since its on a Saturday this year will we?

I asked my PDS the same question the other day. His response was it depends upon the weather up to that day and how much volume is left in the system. We have been very fortunate (for the most part) with the weather thus far and this upcoming week looks to be about the same. He did say that Christmas Eve would be treated like any other Saturday with the exception of any "Christmas looking" packages and that they do expect to add drivers to get it all delivered. It will also depend upon which drivers have hours available. I am planning on working that day--my son will be with his Mom and my daughter and son in law will be coming up the day after Christmas so I may as well work--it will be easy money. I imagine if they don't get enough volunteers that they will force from the bottom up keeping in mind the DOT hours available.

brownelf

That all depends on your position and seniority date, if you're an air driver I'd have to say yes. If you're a package car driver on the lower part of the senority list maybe. But all that can change in an instant due to many factors this time of year as we all know.

Last edited by a moderator:

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
There may be work available, but I wont have any DOT hours left so it will be a moot point.

I'm in the same boat as you. Have bumped into Maximum DOT hours for the past month already!
Our local rider also states that we can refuse "Sixth Day Worked" also when called. There are not alot of certainties in life but I can guarantee you That I will NOT be working Christmas Eve this year!

Johney

Was told we will be working Christmas eve, the only problem I can't get an answer to is, are we running just air or ground too? Anybody know?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Logistics ready to fail again. I have a feeling that our peak day is going to be Friday and as usual they are going to be ill prepared for it.

opie

Any ground delivered by any air driver gives them the ground rate I believe. Or can the company claim it's an "exception" or emergency and not pay ground rate?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I asked yesterday, anybody with hours will work, and just air,
all ground will be delivered friday, so we finish early on saturday

If they are going to force people to work on Saturday then they have to do it in reverse order of seniority, the same as the day after Thanksgiving. And anyone who is forced to work is entitled to their 8 hr gurantee, even if they dont have 8 DOT hours left.