X-mas Eve?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
First of all x-mas is a plot of an atheist. Jesus is the reason for the season. CHRISTMAS is the real.

exactly..........are we celebrating the birth of Christ (Christmas),.not the birth of X........perhaps if it were a Cross, maybe I could understand, after-all, who died for our sins..so that we could live
It's really not an atheist plot: click
Jesus ain't the reason I'm working 12 hour days right now either, he stopped being the reason for the season about the time that Santa showed up.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I have already said that I have very little in common with most of my co-workers and rarely if ever socialize with them after work. I have a life outside of UPS which does not involve my co-workers. If they said they were going out for drinks after work I would join them for a beer or two but would leave before it got too stupid, which it inevitably would.

The "Mobil station coffee club" is a group of between 3 and 7 drivers who meet for "lunch" after they have all finished their respective routes at the Mobil station, which is about a mile from the center. The first generally arrives around 5:30 or so and the last one leaves shortly after 7. It is not uncommon to see 5 or 6 of them there at the same time. I have joined them a few times on my way home after punching out but they generally just sit there and talk shop and at that point I just want to go home and unwind.

My question to W was why does he think it OK to question when I take my lunch when he doesn't say a word to the MSCC. I have already said that I don't take my lunch when the contract says I should but I do take a full lunch and break. From my count there are at least 6 or 7 other drivers who do not take their lunch when they are supposed yet nothing is said to them.

As for working off the clock--this is my preloaders first Peak and, yes, I do help him close out the package car.

It's always sad/funny to watch somebody that tries to justify their actions by referencing the wrong doings of others.
You have already posted that, in the State of New York, a window is mandated in which you are supposed to take your lunch and breaks.
Do you really feel that your management team, yourself, and the fore mentioned co-workers at the Mobile station have the authority to circumvent these rules on the guise "that it is the best way for me"?
Do us and yourself a favor Dave, don't try and bring yourself up by bringing somebody else down.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
exactly..........are we celebrating the birth of Christ (Christmas),.not the birth of X........perhaps if it were a Cross, maybe I could understand, after-all, who died for our sins..so that we could live

You just inspired an idea. those of us that do celebrate the birth of Jesus should use †mas as our symbol instead of xmas.

Represent our faith and make a statement using instead of x.

To make a cross appear hold the alt key while typing 0134 and a cross symbol will appear for a text.

Kewl isn't it.

I celebrate †mas.

Jesus, full of glory, mercy and grace. Piece on earth. piece with GOD. Key to life.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I tried that. I held down the alt key and typed 0134 and all it did was beep at me 4 times........and there was nothing in print.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have already said that I have very little in common with most of my co-workers and rarely if ever socialize with them after work. I have a life outside of UPS which does not involve my co-workers. If they said they were going out for drinks after work I would join them for a beer or two but would leave before it got too stupid, which it inevitably would.

The "Mobil station coffee club" is a group of between 3 and 7 drivers who meet for "lunch" after they have all finished their respective routes at the Mobil station, which is about a mile from the center. The first generally arrives around 5:30 or so and the last one leaves shortly after 7. It is not uncommon to see 5 or 6 of them there at the same time. I have joined them a few times on my way home after punching out but they generally just sit there and talk shop and at that point I just want to go home and unwind.

My question to W was why does he think it OK to question when I take my lunch when he doesn't say a word to the MSCC. I have already said that I don't take my lunch when the contract says I should but I do take a full lunch and break. From my count there are at least 6 or 7 other drivers who do not take their lunch when they are supposed yet nothing is said to them.

As for working off the clock--this is my preloaders first Peak and, yes, I do help him close out the package car.
Dave, I also DO NOT socialize with my co-workers outside of work hours and there are very few that I would socialize with during work hours. For the most part I don't like them. They are co-workers and not my friends, but there are a (very) few exceptions. IMO - if one cannot call out the group for what the whole does then one should keep their opinions to themselves. Targeting a single person from something a whole group does is discrimination as far as I'm concerned.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I do the same thing...only I adjust my scheduled start time in the DIAD to reflect the actual time that I begin work. I do this almost every day. I think starting early to help wrap up and get out of the building earlier is a great idea....as long as you are on the clock.

As far as taking lunch at the end of the day... it is not a practice that I agree with, although I have done it myself on occasion in order to be able to watch my child's soccer game or school play "on route" during my lunch hour. I think that the intent of the language that specifies the time of day that lunch is to be taken is to prevent the company from loading up 10 hours worth of business stops and pickups on to a route. In my case, I have always been done with my business deliveries by noon, so when I take my lunch has no effect on service or what time I will wind up getting done. I'm not saying that it was the "right" thing to do...but I did it anyway on the handful of occasions when I could not get the day off in order to attend a game or school function that I would otherwise miss.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I do the same thing...only I adjust my scheduled start time in the DIAD to reflect the actual time that I begin work. I do this almost every day. I think starting early to help wrap up and get out of the building earlier is a great idea....as long as you are on the clock.

As far as taking lunch at the end of the day... it is not a practice that I agree with, although I have done it myself on occasion in order to be able to watch my child's soccer game or school play "on route" during my lunch hour. I think that the intent of the language that specifies the time of day that lunch is to be taken is to prevent the company from loading up 10 hours worth of business stops and pickups on to a route. In my case, I have always been done with my business deliveries by noon, so when I take my lunch has no effect on service or what time I will wind up getting done. I'm not saying that it was the "right" thing to do...but I did it anyway on the handful of occasions when I could not get the day off in order to attend a game or school function that I would otherwise miss.
I rarely ever take my lunch at the end of the day, mostly when I am forced to. And that was a huge hooooha this past week. I will, however, not take my breaks on light days if I know I am going to be done prior to 8 hrs. I have been on rtes where the business is so heavy that it is all but impossible to get done prior to 5 including a lunch break. Our management, like many others, does not care when we take lunch and breaks and long as deliveries are done according to methods and as long as lunches are put in the diad. We have many drivers that do not take a lunch at all. This is extremely frustrating to me because if I end up on one of their rtes I end up having to juggle things to get lunch. That will change, very shortly. :madashell:

old levi's

blank space
I rarely ever take my lunch at the end of the day, mostly when I am forced to. And that was a huge hooooha this past week. I will, however, not take my breaks on light days if I know I am going to be done prior to 8 hrs. I have been on rtes where the business is so heavy that it is all but impossible to get done prior to 5 including a lunch break. Our management, like many others, does not care when we take lunch and breaks and long as deliveries are done according to methods and as long as lunches are put in the diad. We have many drivers that do not take a lunch at all. This is extremely frustrating to me because if I end up on one of their rtes I end up having to juggle things to get lunch. That will change, very shortly. :madashell:
My center will actually send out this message: Be sure to enter your lunch.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Not having a contract in front of me at the moment, doesn't the contract say that lunch SHOULD be taken between the 4th and 6th hour? Saying it SHOULD be taken then is different than saying it MUST be taken during that window. I will often take my lunch at the end of the day on my way back from my route to the center. There is a rather large mall and typically any drivers in the area will wrap up their days there so we all kind of hang out and shoot the breeze. When I choose to take my lunch is not dictated by the union, it is dictated by A.) My desire to eat and get a break during the day or B.) me having shopping to do before heading home.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Not having a contract in front of me at the moment, doesn't the contract say that lunch SHOULD be taken between the 4th and 6th hour? Saying it SHOULD be taken then is different than saying it MUST be taken during that window. I will often take my lunch at the end of the day on my way back from my route to the center. There is a rather large mall and typically any drivers in the area will wrap up their days there so we all kind of hang out and shoot the breeze. When I choose to take my lunch is not dictated by the union, it is dictated by A.) My desire to eat and get a break during the day or B.) me having shopping to do before heading home.
Taking my lunch is generally dictated by whatever rte I am on on any given day. The factors involved in that dictation include, but are not limited to, air, # of business stops, rural or in town, etc. One day I may take lunch at 12 and the next I may not take lunch until 3. I HATE taking my lunch any later than that. I tend to lose focus and need time to restore energy and focus. I am, at this point in time, unclear as to if the contract says 'should' or 'will'. Personally, I don't care because past practice tells me that management doesn't care when it is taken or even if it IS taken. They just want it entered.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
At least in the Atlantic Area, the language reads that lunch SHALL be taken between the 4th and 6th hour.

soberups

My center will actually send out this message: Be sure to enter your lunch.

Translation; "you will enter a lunch so that we can deduct that amount from your pay even though we have intentionally dispatched your route in such a manner as to make taking that lunch impossible."

soberups

...I have been on rtes where the business is so heavy that it is all but impossible to get done prior to 5 including a lunch break. Our management, like many others, does not care when we take lunch and breaks and long as deliveries are done according to methods and as long as lunches are put in the diad. We have many drivers that do not take a lunch at all. This is extremely frustrating to me because if I end up on one of their rtes I end up having to juggle things to get lunch. That will change, very shortly. :madashell:

That happened to me when I was an unassigned driver, and the solution was (and still is) brutally simple and effective. Pull the car over at noon and take your lunch and break. When your lunch and break is over, call the center and inform them that they have a problem and that they need to send you some help if they want the businesses to get delivered and picked up that day. They can choose to send help, or they can choose not to and you will simply record the packages and/or pickups as "missed" and try again tomorrow. By taking your lunch before calling, you eliminate all of the bitching and whining and negotiating; you are simply informing them of their problem and letting them decide how they choose to deal with it. My experience has been that within a day or two they will make the necessary adjustments to the dispatch in order to prevent the problem from occuring again.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That happened to me when I was an unassigned driver, and the solution was (and still is) brutally simple and effective. Pull the car over at noon and take your lunch and break. When your lunch and break is over, call the center and inform them that they have a problem and that they need to send you some help if they want the businesses to get delivered and picked up that day. They can choose to send help, or they can choose not to and you will simply record the packages and/or pickups as "missed" and try again tomorrow. By taking your lunch before calling, you eliminate all of the bitching and whining and negotiating; you are simply informing them of their problem and letting them decide how they choose to deal with it. My experience has been that within a day or two they will make the necessary adjustments to the dispatch in order to prevent the problem from occuring again.
Yep, I couldn't agree more. :winnersmiley:

menotyou

bella amicizia
Well, here I go. I just pulled out the contract that Upstate and I work under. Article 59, pg 190 clearly states no employee shall go to lunch before the 3.5 hr mark, nor after the 5.5 hr mark. The 'Upstate/West New York Supplements'.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I tried that. I held down the alt key and typed 0134 and all it did was beep at me 4 times........and there was nothing in print.

​I tried it to, I got nothing. Not even a beep.

Hold ALT key and hit 0134 on the number key pad on right side of keyboard, not numbers across top of keyboard.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that.

Merry mas

I make it bold and bring up the font cause it's small if not, normal font is small like this: †