Xmas & New Years

nystripe96

Short & sweet. Both Eve's fall on a Saturday. Can seniority drivers still be forced in? How about those Monday's, are they considered holidays or regular work days?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have been that both CE and NYE will be "air only" days with minimal staffing. This could change for CE if weather becomes an issue.

NYE will be an extra day's pay while both C and NYD will be observed with a paid day off on Monday.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
They can ask me to work on Christmas eve and I can politely tell them to "Go to Hell".
I am still pissed about working Black Friday as there were numerous drivers off with less seniority. Have my grievance form filled out and ready to present on Tuesday morning.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Unionized nurses, firefighters, police officers, etc., all have to work both of those days. Who should they thank?

My ex is an RN and would have to choose either Thanksgiving or Christmas.

JL 0513

Unionized nurses, firefighters, police officers, etc., all have to work both of those days. Who should they thank?

I was being sarcastic because of course we have those 2 days off in our non-essential type of work. Not sure what Analbumcover was talking about.

JL 0513

Last year, my center had a fairly easy Christmas eve and it fell on Friday (it was much worse the prior year). So I imagine it being on Saturday has to be light this year. I have to imagine a lot of guys getting the day off with most non-retail businesses being closed.

Ghost in the Darkness

I will say that atleast employees in those fields know that prior to employment. Working holidays has always been that way and from most of the people I have talked to you hear doubletime and tripletime used when working these holidays.
Working Christmas day has only become an issue for us recently. When I started driving we had air service on BF and NYE. Working Christmas day wasn't heard of and nowadays the threat of it is a slap in the face to all employees who work all the extra hours during the holiday season so people can get their crap. Now they run shifts on Saturdays and Sundays and try to force employees in. Should it be that because you work for UPS, Fedex, or USPS you should be entitled to the threat of little to no time to spend with family during the holiday season?

Cementups

Box Monkey
I am still :censored2: about working Black Friday as there were numerous drivers off with less seniority. Have my grievance form filled out and ready to present on Tuesday morning.

I wasn't the happiest about working Black Friday but when I calculated all my earnings for this week and came to over $2800 before taxes, I won't complain too loudly.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I wasn't the happiest about working Black Friday but when I calculated all my earnings for this week and came to over $2800 before taxes, I won't complain too loudly.
My daughter flew in from Denver and my son was home from UW-Madison for Thanksgiving. Time off to spend with them was much more important to me than the extra money. I will hold this grudge for a long time!

Back first

My daughter flew in from Denver and my son was home from UW-Madison for Thanksgiving. Time off to spend with them was much more important to me than the extra money. I will hold this grudge for a long time!
Same here. They gave drivers the day off who are still in progression. I will be grieving also and I might take a day off near xmas when it is busy as hell. Sometime we just have to play the game.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was upset too, can't get that time back! Hate to sound nieve but if we grieve as I would like to what do we grieve? The holiday?

You would grieve being forced to work while others with less seniority stayed home. They may counter with "area knowledge".

You can't file for monetary loss so I don't know what you can expect to gain from filing.