y do i feel like im being used as a drivers helper?

dcdude

who can i talk to about feeling used as a drivers helper. at times i feel like im the driver and the driver is my helper with all the stops and deliveries i do while they just sit and watch and hand off packages while i scan them on my board and deliver. i know its suppose to be 30-40 stops on the board but i wind up with 80+ stops on mines and i know thats not suppose to be that way. i also did drivers helper last year and never felt this way we both worked as a team

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

From what you have stated it certainly sounds as though your driver is taking advantage of you. You should be working as a team---your driver should not be sitting there while you make the majority of the deliveries. My helper and I work very well as a team and I do not sit there while he plays go-fer.

That being said, your options are limited. You can certainly say something to your driver or you could even start slowing down but beyond that there really isn't much that you can do.

worldwide

who can i talk to about feeling used as a drivers helper. at times i feel like im the driver and the driver is my helper with all the stops and deliveries i do while they just sit and watch and hand off packages while i scan them on my board and deliver. i know its suppose to be 30-40 stops on the board but i wind up with 80+ stops on mines and i know thats not suppose to be that way. i also did drivers helper last year and never felt this way we both worked as a team

I'm assuming you were hired as a Driver Helper. If so, here's the job description from jobs-ups.com:

"This is a physical, fast-paced, outdoor position that involves continual lifting, lowering and carrying packages that typically weigh 25 - 35 lbs. and may weigh up to 70 lbs. It requires excellent customer contact skills and a lot of walking. As a Driver Helper you will not drive the delivery vehicle but assist the driver in the delivery of packages. Driver Helpers usually meet the UPS driver at a mutually agreed upon time and location each weekday (Monday through Friday) and typically do not work on weekends or selected holidays. Hours vary but usually begin after 8:00 a.m. and end before 8:00 p.m. Driver Helpers must comply with UPS appearance guidelines."

I don't see any description indicating how many stops are supposed to be in the DIAD. You assist the driver in the delivery of packages. Every driver is different and they have their own way of managing the work on their truck.

If you feel like you are being used as a driver helper, that's because that is the job you accepted.

UPSGUY72

I suppose you want to be able to sit around and have the driver deliver the packages. It doesn't work that way. If you feel your being used call up the HR person that hired you and tell them that the drivers making you deliver to my packages and he isn't doing anything and see what happens...

Different driver use the helper in different ways.

MY helpers don't touch the DIAD I Put the first 30 stops of the day in the helper board and it goes in the back of the car most days that's before I pick up my helper. Then when I meet the helper they are the runner when they are delivering I sort the back of the car and get the next packages ready to be delivered. Before the helper returns to the car I get back into my seat have my seat belt on ready to go when the helper gets back in the car and get there seat belt.

The only reason I get out of my car is if there are two stops close to together and they do one and I do the other or the delivery is High value, COD, or Sig required. I do over 200 stops a day during peak and my helper delivers the package to over 80 percent of the stops.

Ms.PacMan

I don't even know what to say.

The driver is in charge of the entire mess and the entire day and you. He's driving, trying to figure out what his next stops are and where the packages are in the truck and has to put some arbitrary number of stops in HIS helper board to please mgmt. You my friend, are walking to a stop with pkgs. that have been handed to you. I guarantee you have the easier job.

I would never use you as a helper again if you came to me with that b.s..

UPSGUY72

Careers :: McDonalds.com

JakeD

lol.. few different whiney posts about being a driver helper. I just did my 2nd day and it was a decent size.. 140-160ish stops i forget. I did the majority of the hauling, driver organized and did all of the DIAD work except a few signatures i got. We had a few where we both got out or he'd drop me off and come get me after getting one down the street. he did get me lunch today so that was cool. will probably be with him again Monday.

Paycheck

The reason you feel the way you do is because you are actually working....This isn't McDonalds or Walmart. To break it to you gently helpers are cheap labor, if you don't want the extra hours turn them doiwn.

Justaname

Sounds like you're just doing the job right. It's extra hours so if you don't like it don't do it. If its a day where they don't need me to drive, and need me to help instead I pretty much do everything but drive. Whatever makes the drivers day easier. remember you're their helper.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Am I the only one who agrees with the OP that his driver is taking advantage of him?

Depends on the route. Mine is stand alone businesses in the morning and rural residentials in the afternoon. I told my helper we dont have too many stops next to each other where we can both work so you are essentially my runner.

laffter

Some drivers will use their helpers to ease the workload on themselves, rather than get done in a reasonable amount of time.

Both parties should be doing something 99% of the time. It is inefficient for one person to be sitting or standing around while the other is working.

wayfair

swollen member
Funny thing is that many of them whine all the time about how management takes advantage of them but when they have to "manage" it's a different story.

Just human nature I guess.

management has instructed drivers to use helpers as much as possible...

if they tell you to use helper x amount of hours, that's what you do

if you think you're being taken advantage of, working in the building is 10 times more work, unless you work in small sort, feeding the bullfrog... lol