y do i feel like im being used as a drivers helper?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
so being taking advantage of or putting money in your pocket... in other words, giving you HOURS...

There are helpers here needing hours

How's it giving the helper hours given that helpers may only work a finite, pre-determined number of hours to begin with?

wayfair

swollen member
with one driver... that helper maybe used with a combination of drivers

also, the office will ask if driver needs helper longer to call center, therefore giving helper more hours...

I had a helper that was allotted 2.99 hours and I needed helper 4 hours... then again I was given a helper that had 2.5 hours allotted for me and only needed him 1 hour, so we found someone else he could help...

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
with one driver... that helper maybe used with a combination of drivers

also, the office will ask if driver needs helper longer to call center, therefore giving helper more hours...

I had a helper that was allotted 2.99 hours and I needed helper 4 hours... then again I was given a helper that had 2.5 hours allotted for me and only needed him 1 hour, so we found someone else he could help...

When I work, drivers have to use their helpers for the duration of their allotted time (many drivers don't like this -- they'd rather have the OT, earn bonus, etc. but obviously the Company would like to prevent that). And keeping your helper beyond the allotted time will typically result in you running over, so it's rarely requested (reserved for poor loads/dispatch). As the union here has insisted that if helpers meet-up with more than one driver, they are clocked-in continuously from the first pick-up time until they are dropped off for the evening, it rarely happens.

So I stand by my original posting.

wayfair

swollen member
And keeping your helper beyond the allotted time will typically result in you running over,

what's that mean??

so what is your view on using the helper for an hour when suppose to use them 2.5 hours??

Does a driver save 2.5 hours of work for helper??( the driver is then accused of taking advantage of helper)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

what's that mean??

He is referring to the over/under on the operations report; unfortunately, his assumption is false. I have kept my helper past the allotted time every day that I have had him and have run at least 1/2 hour under; in fact, we ran 1.5 hours under on Thursday. If I were to have kept him for only the allotted hours our peformance would have suffered.

wayfair

swollen member
He is referring to the over/under on the operations report; unfortunately, his assumption is false. I have kept my helper past the allotted time every day that I have had him and have run at least 1/2 hour under; in fact, we ran 1.5 hours under on Thursday. If I were to have kept him for only the allotted hours our peformance would have suffered.

I know what he meant about the WOR... there ya go chasing that number..

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
what's that mean??

so what is your view on using the helper for an hour when suppose to use them 2.5 hours??

Does a driver save 2.5 hours of work for helper??( the driver is then accused of taking advantage of helper)

I just answered you. It doesn't happen here -- it may happen elsewhere, but it doesn't happen here. The sheet they give the driver has the route's dispatched value, and the allotted time for the helper that's calculated into the dispatch (and it's always an odd number--4.81, 6.82, etc.--that's suppose to be rounded to the nearest half-hour). Drivers must keep their helper for the allotted time. The guy I worked with yesterday (not my normal driver) @$%@ and moaned the entire time that he had to keep me for 4 hours... apparently they wanted everybody in with less than 9.5, he wanted the OT (Christmas for his daughter) but he wasn't willing to take on a late UPS Store pick-up... they've been doing this for a couple years now.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter. Giving your helper, say four house stops to carry at the same time while you sit on the truck and text IS taking advantage of your helper (it would not be if you were sorting / setting up your next deliveries). I'm sure most of us milk the clock at some point or another :) but it really isn't a justification.

The technology they're using here is better than where you are at it appears.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm pretty sure we all use the same technology.

On the Thursday I spoke of I was only supposed to use my helper for 3.5 hours---I used him for 6.5. Our SPORH was higher and my RTB time was earlier than the projections.

wayfair

swollen member
I just answered you. It doesn't happen here -- it may happen elsewhere, but it doesn't happen here. The sheet they give the driver has the route's dispatched value, and the allotted time for the helper that's calculated into the dispatch (and it's always an odd number--4.81, 6.82, etc.--that's suppose to be rounded to the nearest half-hour). Drivers must keep their helper for the allotted time.

that's the problem.. everyday isn't the same.. computer computations can't figure real time conditions. If I rolled out with a PC full of smalls compared to a PC full of dolly stops,(hope you get the picture) what do you think?

and no you didn't answer my question.

gostillerz

I don't understand why management is freaking about helper hours so much now. Every other year, we'd get a message in the board to keep them for 3 hours or so but the sups would say keep them as long as we wanted. UPS makes a killing this time of year. They worry about people making $9.00, but don't care about paying $45.00 for drivers. Jumping over a dollar to pick up a dime.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
so, when both are done and still have 1.5 hours allotted to helper... uh, are you in management/I.E.???

Really?

Sitting idle in the truck (e.g. not sorting, setting-up the next stops, etc.) playing with your phone/etc. while you send your helper with multiple stops that could've assisted with is taking advantage of your helper. Insisting that you're really playing the role of Robin Hood doesn't change that. Even if it does increase your helper's hours (and I would refute this, but I digress), it's still taking advantage of the helper / having a helper. No, I'm not in Mangement/IE. I actually have common sense.

I don't understand why management is freaking about helper hours so much now. Every other year, we'd get a message in the board to keep them for 3 hours or so but the sups would say keep them as long as we wanted. UPS makes a killing this time of year. They worry about people making $9.00, but don't care about paying $45.00 for drivers. Jumping over a dollar to pick up a dime.

They're doing the opposite here: adding helper hours (vs. previous years) in attempt to limit OT/bonus paid out to drivers. As I was leaving Friday, the monitors leading into the building informed the drivers that they were expected in the building within 9.5, unless they had a late pick-up.

browned_out

Okay, I had to start laughing when I read this. Your not real clear as to why you feel this way, other than to reveal that you actually had to work for your money. I pick up my helper at 5:30pm, I generally have between 75/95 stops left, guess what my helper does all deliveries. I sort the truck and constantly move packages forward, always having the next three stops ready. Lets not forget that I started work at 9:00am and have already delivered over 350 pkgs/100 stops, did 28 pick up stops and loaded over 200 pkgs back into my truck. I then drive back to the bldg to offload overnight pkgs, because we will be out after 7:30pm my management team wants me to unload my pick up pieces before we head out. So I get to help with that process also. Excuse me if you actually have to WORK!!! GROW A SET! GET ANOTHER JOB! Just don't whine to people who work ther asses off all year long.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Helpers who never drove have no idea how easy their job is compared to the driver's job. The driver has to plan the whole day out, when to break off to make NDA commits and on call airs, the best way to run the housecall loop, when to break off to make scheduled pickups, and continually making updates and adjustments to the initial plan as unexpected delays crop up. The driver is also accountable for everything that happens on route, if something goes wrong no one is going to blame the helper. I'm not saying that helpers don't work hard because it's UPS and everyone works hard, but whenever I've teamed up with another driver I always volunteer to jump and let the other guy drive because running off stops is a piece of cake compared to what I usually do.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Helpers who never drove have no idea how easy their job is compared to the driver's job. The driver has to plan the whole day out, when to break off to make NDA commits and on call airs, the best way to run the housecall loop, when to break off to make scheduled pickups, and continually making updates and adjustments to the initial plan as unexpected delays crop up. The driver is also accountable for everything that happens on route, if something goes wrong no one is going to blame the helper. I'm not saying that helpers don't work hard because it's UPS and everyone works hard, but whenever I've teamed up with another driver I always volunteer to jump and let the other guy drive because running off stops is a piece of cake compared to what I usually do.

<sigh> So some helpers have expressed frustration that they're tired & sore but their driver is continually handing them multiple stops to deliver while he sits on the truck and texts (NOT sorting, setting-up future deliveries). And drivers have justified it by saying a) they're giving the helpers work and b) they work dang hard everyday.

-- NOBODY'S arguing that neither the driver nor helper work hard everyday. EVERYBODY works hard at UPS.
-- Most everyone -- even those in the best of shape -- experience aches & pains when doing these types of jobs - the body just isn't use to this type of "workout." And helpers have to adjust more quickly -- many routes in high-density subdivisions can deliver close to 50 SPH. That means in less than 2 hours, they've made MORE deliveries than many drivers did in 8+ hours in the early reigns of their career. Sure, much of the equipment today is superior to those of yesteryear... but my building had many 30-year-old trucks with no power steering, high-steps, etc.
-- No, you don't do this work everyday. If you did, you wouldn't have a helper. I route I'm helping on goes out with 280 stops (more on peak days) -- I actually delivered it an entire summer, and it averaged 120-140 & covered a much larger area. The portions that have been removed are the slower-moving stuff.
-- You're banking $32/hour but your helper is reaping $8-$9.50 (or $12.88 in Central States). Everybody has their price, and aches and pains can become much more tolerable. As the starting wages haven't moved in nearly 30-years, when you began this work you were making significantly more (adjusting for inflation). While I have the attitude "deal with it," I don't blame somebody making $8 for quitting after being at it for a week.
-- Many buildings -- and this sounds like the OP's case -- are asking drivers to drop helpers off with carts full of packages and deliver them on their own. They're enforcing it here but only for a handful of drivers.

The OVERWHELMING majority of drivers (and the number's over 50) I've worked with have been wonderful -- when they're not sorting/setting up the route, and there's multiple stops, they WILL take one. When they realize I'm getting tired (I work Preload for 6-9 hours before helping) they'll offer to run off a stop. Many will offer to buy me a soda or something to eat, but I will always decline. It's only a select few that sit on the truck with the cell phone glued to their ear, that merely set-up the stops and expect me to find the package in the back and run it off while they sit there and talk+text, that I have a problem with.

wayfair

swollen member
<sigh> So some helpers have expressed frustration that they're tired & sore but their driver is continually handing them multiple stops to deliver while he sits on the truck and texts (NOT sorting, setting-up future deliveries). And drivers have justified it by saying a) they're giving the helpers work and b) they work dang hard everyday.

-- NOBODY'S arguing that neither the driver nor helper work hard everyday. EVERYBODY works hard at UPS.
-- Most everyone -- even those in the best of shape -- experience aches & pains when doing these types of jobs - the body just isn't use to this type of "workout." And helpers have to adjust more quickly -- many routes in high-density subdivisions can deliver close to 50 SPH. That means in less than 2 hours, they've made MORE deliveries than many drivers did in 8+ hours in the early reigns of their career. Sure, much of the equipment today is superior to those of yesteryear... but my building had many 30-year-old trucks with no power steering, high-steps, etc.
-- No, you don't do this work everyday. If you did, you wouldn't have a helper. I route I'm helping on goes out with 280 stops (more on peak days) -- I actually delivered it an entire summer, and it averaged 120-140 & covered a much larger area. The portions that have been removed are the slower-moving stuff.
-- You're banking $32/hour but your helper is reaping $8-$9.50 (or $12.88 in Central States). Everybody has their price, and aches and pains can become much more tolerable. As the starting wages haven't moved in nearly 30-years, when you began this work you were making significantly more (adjusting for inflation). While I have the attitude "deal with it," I don't blame somebody making $8 for quitting after being at it for a week.
-- Many buildings -- and this sounds like the OP's case -- are asking drivers to drop helpers off with carts full of packages and deliver them on their own. They're enforcing it here but only for a handful of drivers.

The OVERWHELMING majority of drivers (and the number's over 50) I've worked with have been wonderful -- when they're not sorting/setting up the route, and there's multiple stops, they WILL take one. When they realize I'm getting tired (I work Preload for 6-9 hours before helping) they'll offer to run off a stop. Many will offer to buy me a soda or something to eat, but I will always decline. It's only a select few that sit on the truck with the cell phone glued to their ear, that merely set-up the stops and expect me to find the package in the back and run it off while they sit there and talk+text, that I have a problem with.

broken record man... call your coordinator...get a different driver...