Yay, I graduated...

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
from my 10' U-Haul to a friggin Ford budget rental 12'!

Me: ugh why a Ford? The rear step height bumper is higher than a GMC one

BA: because it's rated at 10,050 lbs...

Me: so what does that have to do with GMC vs Ford; give the Ford to a taller driver!

BA: no can do, GMCs are under the 10,000 lb limit...

Me: wtf, so u gimme an extra 2 feet of space but it's worse on my knees?

images.jpg

Ooh, mebbe if I dew reaaaaallly well this peak, they will reward me with a proper vehicle , a step can with sliding pocket doors, folding parcel shelves, a bulkhead pass thru door, and a rearview camera in 2017! Yay me!!!!

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
from my 10' U-Haul to a friggin Ford budget rental 12'!

Me: ugh why a Ford? The rear step height bumper is higher than a GMC one

BA: because it's rated at 10,050 lbs...

Me: so what does that have to do with GMC vs Ford; give the Ford to a taller driver!

BA: no can do, GMCs are under the 10,000 lb limit...

Me: wtf, so u gimme an extra 2 feet of space but it's worse on my knees?

View attachment 106060

Ooh, mebbe if I dew reaaaaallly well this peak, they will reward me with a proper vehicle , a step can with sliding pocket doors, folding parcel shelves, a bulkhead pass thru door, and a rearview camera in 2017! Yay me!!!!
You should buy out an ISP and run things the way you want to?

OrioN

If they still support single owner operators,but no more...

Plus I don't want to be part of the scam.

Good for u that u have found a crew that's willing to work for peanuts. I don't want that headache of answering to management s bickering of every little detail of your"independent operations"

They should get rid of the "i" and just go with a "c" to avoid further litigation

Now I know why he placed me in a budget; the gvwr of this Ford is just above the 10k limit, so he doesn't need to compute OVERTIME PAY.

time to ask for a raise or look at another contractor that is paying by the hour

Last edited:

McFeely

Huge Member
time to ask for a raise or look at another contractor that is paying by the hour

Have you looked at UPS or Express? I mean, sheesh, there's a lot of complaining on all sides about this work and its pay but you appear to be one who's decent at this job and actually enjoys it. Might as well work for Express/Brown and at least get overtime and a vehicle that gets maintained. It certainly ain't perfect but you deserve better and the Ground/HD business owners aren't offering it.

bacha29

If they still support single owner operators,but no more...

Plus I don't want to be part of the scam.

Good for u that u have found a crew that's willing to work for peanuts. I don't want that headache of answering to management s bickering of every little detail of your"independent operations"

They should get rid of the "i" and just go with a "c" to avoid further litigation

Now I know why he placed me in a budget; the gvwr of this Ford is just above the 10k limit, so he doesn't need to compute OVERTIME PAY.

I had numerous opportunities to be a multi route contractor but by the time you gave that guy what he would have earned for himself and that was a family sustaining wage, a basic employer paid health care plan something in the way of a pension along with something better than a piece of smelter bait in the way of a truck then you might as well just give him the route which I did because there wasn't enough in it to bother with it. I suppose that it might be all right if you had say 30 of them in a prosperous metro area but the area where I operated was the complete opposite. And 30 routes? Even after 24 years the terminal as a whole has barely half that number

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had numerous opportunities to be a multi route contractor but by the time you gave that guy what he would have earned for himself and that was a family sustaining wage, a basic employer paid health care plan something in the way of a pension along with something better than a piece of smelter bait in the way of a truck then you might as well just give him the route which I did because there wasn't enough in it to bother with it. I suppose that it might be all right if you had say 30 of them in a prosperous metro area but the area where I operated was the complete opposite. And 30 routes? Even after 24 years the terminal as a whole has barely half that number

Why do you feel that it is your responsibility to provide a family sustaining wage, health care and a pension?

Pay what the market will bear-----you will have more than enough "qualified" applicants.

bacha29

Why do you feel that it is your responsibility to provide a family sustaining wage, health care and a pension?

Pay what the market will bear-----you will have more than enough "qualified" applicants.
You handle seems to indicate that you work for UPS. if so you wouldn't work for what the average contractor pays. As for qualified applicants, that's not the case in every market. In fact the barn I hauled out of called and wanted me to postpone a second hip joint replacement in order to help out during peak. If you're looking for further evidence look at the other thread. A contractor from Minnesota is offering a guy on the West Coast over market money to come out and help him during peak. For the guys in a populous area the mind set is that there is always going to be somebody else to take over might suffice Not always the case in a rural area. Likewise the battle is to get enough money out of X to meet the labor market threshold. In fact the people who are working during peak at my terminal are all working for the temp agency because it pays better than what the contractors pay. The question is when the use of staffing agency temps end how many if any will take what the contractor is offering.

bacha29

Nice story.

Why do you feel that you have to pay a family sustaining wage, provide healthcare and a pension?
Again if you want somebody to stay on the job for more than a few weeks you have to give them an incentive to do so. Time and time again I bore witness to multi route drivers coming in at the end of the day having seen the imbalance between what was offered and what was demanded leave and never come back and call the contractor the next morning telling him that he quit with nobody to succeed him. The result being I and the other single routes having to do more stops in response to the situation as if we didn't already have enough to do. If you want to pay low wages fine but far more often than not you will get the low wage results.

bbsam

Staff member
Again if you want somebody to stay on the job for more than a few weeks you have to give them an incentive to do so. Time and time again I bore witness to multi route drivers coming in at the end of the day having seen the imbalance between what was offered and what was demanded leave and never come back and call the contractor the next morning telling him that he quit with nobody to succeed him. The result being I and the other single routes having to do more stops in response to the situation as if we didn't already have enough to do. If you want to pay low wages fine but far more often than not you will get the low wage results.
Actually X has gotten amazing value for what they spend.

OrioN

But you don't mind taking the screwing you're getting now?????

I'm paid a bit higher than my neighboring drivers to take the reaming... Now, he's not going to use Vaseline anymore and try to dry hump me? Noooo waiiiiii

But when I come to find that the BA BC BO or whatchamacallit is getting lazy to do math to gimme OT, it's time to contact the investor group/ absentee contractor and talk about a raise.

Either that or he wants to keep all the bonus to himself... Hmm

OrioN

Wait, there are no "qualified" drivers around here... I was supposed to leave this hub on labor day.

Guess what? One guy tried my route for a week and quit!

Others are failing the background checks.

They'll have to step up their compensation to remain competitive when it come to driving around in the dark and on dirt roads and on narrow driveways with dogs waiting to get a chunk of you. Vs. working at a local Walmart or fast food joint for $15 an hour...

dmac1

Have you looked at UPS or Express? I mean, sheesh, there's a lot of complaining on all sides about this work and its pay but you appear to be one who's decent at this job and actually enjoys it. Might as well work for Express/Brown and at least get overtime and a vehicle that gets maintained. It certainly ain't perfect but you deserve better and the Ground/HD business owners aren't offering it.

I never read about UPS drivers whining about pay. Number of hours, maybe

Sparky

Word at the toolbox is we might be replacing most of our fleet of shorty Freightliners with pug fully promoters. I'll miss being able to get out of a dead end street in one swift move.