Yea... hour break got waived today..late freight

Sniper

The mandatory hour break got "waived" today at our station due to late freight, 45 mins +. I took the full hour because that is what will be expected next week. That is what we have had to do since they started the new policy and directive.

Sometimes they can't see the forest for the trees. Had several lates but many other couriers had had 01's. I service my customers and was the last one back....again.

It is what it is.

DontThrowPackages

Two ways to look at it. first off, taking the full hour limits your production. By you, and others, taking hour lunches, more staff is needed to service customers. Maybe one is of the mind of,"screw the company. Let them suffer for causing us to take extended lunches all year round. Second school of thought, maybe its a good time to get all the OT possible because come January a FT'er will be lucky to get 37Hrs per week. Either way this has been a beyond busy week and the company is making money hand over fist for sure.

SmithBarney

HAH, just the opposite here, our managers have been skirting by and telling folks it's ok for 30 or 40minutes... WHAM big ol message on the PPAD, 1hr breaks MANDATORY, from the MD or someone who thinks they are important.

CJinx

HAH, just the opposite here, our managers have been skirting by and telling folks it's ok for 30 or 40minutes... WHAM big ol message on the PPAD, 1hr breaks MANDATORY, from the MD or someone who thinks they are important.
Somebody knows that the Dept of Labor is watching...

!Retired!

I've been taking 30 minutes for the past 2 weeks. Say what you want, but friend I could get away with no break, I would. It has nothing to do with productivity, I just don't like stopping. I'd rather go home that 1/2 hour earlier.

MAKAVELI

The mandatory hour break got "waived" today at our station due to late freight, 45 mins +. I took the full hour because that is what will be expected next week. That is what we have had to do since they started the new policy and directive.

Sometimes they can't see the forest for the trees. Had several lates but many other couriers had had 01's. I service my customers and was the last one back....again.

It is what it is.
Just so you know it's not policy. Ask them for it in writing if it's policy. And if it's policy why are they having most of us breaking that policy?

fedupforsure

A bunch of us did open doors on the hour break and we all got a prestamped form reply back from DD. It probably wont even go to MTlll where it should go. I informed my mgr 3 weeks ago that I will never again take an hr break, I havnt, and havnt heard a word about it. I wont after Christmas either, write me up all you want(12 months to retirement):cool-little:

Artee

Just so you know it's not policy. Ask them for it in writing if it's policy. And if it's policy why are they having most of us breaking that policy?

Last time I looked for the break policy in the people manual it refers the managers to the legal resource library to check their states regulations and laws. Like mentioned in Ca you don't have to take the second 1/2 hour until you hit 12 hours. Obviously there is no blanket break policy anymore. Its up to the state you reside in.

That being said FDX still has a directive that you must take an hour if you work over 8 hours. A month ago a courier worked over 8 with a 30 minute break and that was not "authorized" by mgmt. They wanted her to sign something. She told them no....show me the policy. Its been 3 weeks and they have not been able to produce the "policy".

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

It is a directive, not policy. This translates into you always need to take an hour break, except when it's better for the company that you take a shorter break, like now during Peak. As usual, always on their terms. Anyone who has been written-up for not taking full breaks should keep this in mind when they confront management.

Me? I take the hour, because it limits my productivity in-line with WAD.

MAKAVELI

It is a directive, not policy. This translates into you always need to take an hour break, except when it's better for the company that you take a shorter break, like now during Peak. As usual, always on their terms. Anyone who has been written-up for not taking full breaks should keep this in mind when they confront management.

Me? I take the hour, because it limits my productivity in-line with WAD.
I hear you on the WAD but I'm going to milk all the ot out of this mother until the wheels fall off.

Sent from device_name using BrownCafe App

FUFred

About 5-6 years ago I remember a Mgr telling me I was slower on Mondays and Tuesday with on calls between 1530-1630 and that I should be taking a 4-5 mins break, five times with in that hour. He explained to me why it made sense, it didn't. This was before the minimum 20 min break which got changed to 30 min break. My point is they always change the break times when it works for them. I always like the hurry up and get off the clock 10 mins early but be safe out there team.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Does it irritate the hell out of anyone else out there as much as it does me to be addressed as "team"?... I ceased being a team player a long time ago.

YES!! I think the next time a manager calls us a "team", I'll be forced to strangle them with my bare hands. Justifiable homicide.

DontThrowPackages

About 5-6 years ago I remember a Mgr telling me I was slower on Mondays and Tuesday with on calls between 1530-1630 and that I should be taking a 4-5 mins break, five times with in that hour. He explained to me why it made sense, it didn't. This was before the minimum 20 min break which got changed to 30 min break. My point is they always change the break times when it works for them. I always like the hurry up and get off the clock 10 mins early but be safe out there team.[/quote
Does it irritate the hell out of anyone else out there as much as it does me to be addressed as "team"?... I ceased being a team player a long time ago.
Its corporate English, just like "Cost effected" means Cheaper. "Teams" means You people. LOL.