Yeah, this is gonna fly!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The first sign of a serious learning disability is accepting a part-time supervisor position

Tears isn't even a part time supervisor, he's an OMS clerk.
I didn't pick up on this till last week in a thread.
It's laughable, kind of like when someone tells a marine he is in the military.
The look on the marines face when he learns that the guy is in the coast guard reserve is similar to my reaction when I learned he was an OMS.
We have a guy just like Tears in our OMS office who actually thinks he is a supervisor.
A couple of drivers and myself chipped in and got him a small vase full of flowers last year for secretaries day.

Nimnim

The Nim
I was recently asked to go over a safety observation that was performed on me, 5 months ago. Do they really expect me to remember that an observation was performed much less that the person doing it went over things with me? My responses were "Probably and I don't recall" for everything except the DOK questions they asked me along with it.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
for all the grief and headaches i caused my management when i was an hourly, i always made sure to remember my DOK perfectly. even the dumbest person can get it down within a year or two, guys who have been around for decades and don't know it either have a serious learning disability, or just want to be confrontational *******s about it

i can be a huge pain in the ass over things i disagree on, but the DOK? really?
Those of us around for decades didn't have to recite todays safety drivel. You must be too young to remember "A planned day makes a safe day" and "Look sharp, don't get cut" etc. Then came HABITS.
I can remember the safety crap from years ago and most of todays DOK but probably can't recite it verbatim and have no desire to learn to do so.
I run a satellite route an hour from my center and will never have to participate in a Keter audit so my management team doesn't give a rats behind whether I can recite the stuff anyways.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The first sign of a serious learning disability is accepting a part-time supervisor position
I did this once, therefore, thank you for giving me my brutally true excuse next time.
"No I didnt stay in a holiday Inn last night, but I did at one time accept a part time supervisors job"
Get away from me, LOL

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We havent been asked to regurgitate the DOK for quite awhile in our building. I was beginning to think the DOK had gone the way of the HABITS acronym, and that the company was inventing some new word game to replace it. Now I find out that drivers in other areas are getting warning letters for failing to get 100% on it, thats logisitcs.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Those of us around for decades didn't have to recite todays safety drivel. You must be too young to remember "A planned day makes a safe day" and "Look sharp, don't get cut" etc. Then came HABITS.
I can remember the safety crap from years ago and most of todays DOK but probably can't recite it verbatim and have no desire to learn to do so.
I run a satellite route an hour from my center and will never have to participate in a Keter audit so my management team doesn't give a rats behind whether I can recite the stuff anyways.
Thanks for the trip in the Way Back Machine Mr. Peabody !! LOL

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
If the EMPIRE really cared about safety,, They sand and salt the property better, they would put lights in the yard that don't go off every 5 minutes, they would have air bags on all tractiors,they would make sure none of the p/cars or tractors didn't have exhaust leaks, they would get modern shifters, they wouldn't stack stuff by doors, they wouldn't keep pkg car drivers out till 10 pm......after this is done I would memorize the DOK ,The Gettysburg Address and the Act Of Contrition backwards for them...THE BOTTOM LINE IS they just don't care !!!! Liberty Mutual is running the show !!!

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I'd say to go even farther and not signing anything about safety as well as discipline. The DOK only reason for being a reality is those workers who do get hurt in the first place. UPS will be willing to prevent anyone disability on the mear fact they did or didnt pass a DOK. Claiming that these employee shouldve known better, didnt bend their knees when lifting and got injured. Thus we cant be held accountable.

DOK are only used to hold your feet to the fire when yourself or someone else does get hurt. UPS pays a huge amount each and every day in disability. And they tend to stop it with whatever tactic available. Again, sign nothing again within building or out on road about saftey or discipline. Your safety should be your own responsibility. Work safe day in and out and keep earning money, that should be the mind set.

hopspur

As long as you are making a "genuine" effort they shouldn't give discipline. You need to go to mgt with steward and ask that u b placed on the clock for remedial training.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Where I work, they have posted names that have to show up and recite the DOK. My supe has never done this to me, and while I can't recite the DOK verbatim, I do demostrate using the the DOK while driving. So I guess I get a pass.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
You people are going about all of this the wrong way. Used to be, they would ask me if I knew all of this stuff. Over the years it just stuck in my head. So when I went into feeders, they would ask me if I knew the questions. I would act sheepish and stare at my feet and say, "Yeah....I think so...maybe...I'll try, I guess." And then we would go into the office, and I would, S.L.O.W.L.Y. recite everything. Oh I did a royal job of acting like I wasn't sure...staring at the ceiling, searching and searching for the right answers. And after 45 minutes or so, I would get them all right. I would say, "WHEW!! I didn't know if I had it in me."

I got away with this about 4 or 5 times, before they finally just quit asking me. I miss that kind of overtime....

You people are going about all of this the wrong way. Used to be, they would ask me if I knew all of this stuff. Over the years it just stuck in my head. So when I went into feeders, they would ask me if I knew the questions. I would act sheepish and stare at my feet and say, "Yeah....I think so...maybe...I'll try, I guess." And then we would go into the office, and I would, S.L.O.W.L.Y. recite everything. Oh I did a royal job of acting like I wasn't sure...staring at the ceiling, searching and searching for the right answers. And after 45 minutes or so, I would get them all right. I would say, "WHEW!! I didn't know if I had it in me."

I got away with this about 4 or 5 times, before they finally just quit asking me. I miss that kind of overtime....

Another fun game is to get the theorys correct but use different terminology..

Look far down the road
Take the large photograph
See everything you can
Keep plenty of room around you
Be sure people pay attention to you

Extra points if a member of management asks if you think you're a comedian.

Re-Raise

Extra points if a member of management asks if you think you're a comedian.

I can't even guess how many points I would have. For example at the pcm the other morning they told us to be careful on painted porches because they would be especially slick.

I raised my hand and when they reluctantly asked me what my question was, I asked them if it made a difference what color the porch was painted ?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I agree with this; however, Steve has to work in this center, so it might be a good idea for Steve to learn the material.

I was thinking more along the lines of... "Steve has to work in this center, so it might be a good idea for Steve to stand up to that arrogant little prick of a Center Manager and let him know that Steve wont tolerate this sort of harassment."

I guess we're not graded like kids are in school, these days. When I was in school, 65 was a passing grade.
Scan1.jpg
What the friend is wrong with these people??!! You dont need to say it...You need to do it!!By the way I NEVER EVER seen anything in the contract saying we needed to be perfect! Or that we had to recite this ****!!

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Tears isn't even a part time supervisor, he's an OMS clerk.

sorry to let you know, an OMS is a PT supervisor, and you can be terminated for failing to respect their authoritah, as long as the center manager agrees with their actions

I didn't pick up on this till last week in a thread.
It's laughable, kind of like when someone tells a marine he is in the military.
The look on the marines face when he learns that the guy is in the coast guard reserve is similar to my reaction when I learned he was an OMS.

huh? i dont recall anyone who thought poorly of the Coast Guard. despite their "non-military" duties, they were highly trained and very respected, even among Marines. Marines who talk **** about other services/MOS are just blowhards, or more likely boots so fresh you can smell the aqua velva on them

We have a guy just like Tears in our OMS office who actually thinks he is a supervisor.
A couple of drivers and myself chipped in and got him a small vase full of flowers last year for secretaries day.

the only supervisor that really qualifies as a secretary is a PT PDS supe. they literally do nothing but staple and highlight reports all night. also, i WISH my drivers would get me flowers, i keep my office pretty bare so they'd look nice. i get lots of food and booze instead, my fitness is going to ****