Yeah, this is gonna fly!

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
"apparently you can't read. I never claimed I would be the one, but if you're a driver, and an OMS gives you an instruction, and your center manager gives his OMS wide discretion to do so, you can be disciplined for failing to follow his instructions"

So......there his directions not yours. So your basically a parrot that in turn will hide behind his skirt when a driver tells you to pound sand

my center manager rolls out by 3pm, he hasn't given me a "direction" in maybe a year. If a driver tells me to pound sand (maybe once a month, always on a friday) it goes to my center manager and the driver usually gets a few days off.

"you don't have to tap-dance, and you can pat my head, as long as you work as instructed

or else.."

"work as instructed" Something little tough guys like you learn the hard way is saying that to someone who really knows how to use those words against you. You'll let your ego get the best of you and you'll puff up your chest and make the mistake of "instructing" me in front of my coworkers or as I like to call them, witnesses. Then, even though I know every mistake you're making as you say it, I'll do what you say. To the letter. And when this shiz hits the fan and Division goes to the center manager wanting answers and he comes to me I'm going to shrug and point to you and say "worked as instructed. And under threat of disciplinary action too"

when i pull out the "instruction" card, it's to avert a disaster caused by management in the AM. If it's not protecting a prime directive, like DOT cutoff, a missed pickup, or the possibility of a large number of missed pieces, i couldn't give two ****s what drivers do.
So basically, if i give a driver an instruction, i'm doing HIM a favor so HE doesn't get the DM or center manager up his ass the next morning.

if you're really lucky you'll only get one of those ass chewings of myth that you and the other pt sups talk about at the bar when you say "did you hear about how he friend'd up..........."

If you're not so lucky the next time we bump into each other I'll be asking you if you have the "authoritah" to accept a coupon to supersize my kids happy meal.

dude, i haven't been on the bad side of anyone since i was an hourly, so i dunno what you're talking about lol

1344727405214.jpg
1344727405214.jpg

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
That said, we have four OMS clerks in our center. They ask me if I will do something, and if I am able to (or in a good enough mood), I will do it.

99% of proper management is never having to tell someone to do anything.

the whole idea behind instructing anyone is that by the time you've dropped that word, there is really no hope of that employee actually doing their job, you're simply building a grammatically rock-solid case for their termination

Griff

I agree with this; however, Steve has to work in this center, so it might be a good idea for Steve to learn the material.

I totally agree. On the clock.

The managers should be allowing him to come in early or stay late to study these crucial questions, training is paid time.

Still there is no guarantee he will be able to verbally recite the DOK to their liking and considering it's not a condition of employment, they cannot discipline him.

End of story.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
99% of proper management is never having to tell someone to do anything.

Whoa, so you just expect a driver to do what he wants, how he wants, when he wants? You expect them to just "make it happen" I suppose under impossible situations? You feel as though proper management isn't explaining what to do, only to expect them to know what you want? Yeah, you sound like UPS management for sure.
the whole idea behind instructing anyone is that by the time you've dropped that word, there is really no hope of that employee actually doing their job, you're simply building a grammatically rock-solid case for their termination

No, you're simply relaying what you want done so the driver can achieve the desired outcome you are looking for. One management wants pickup compliance, the other needs two OCA's done on opposite sides of town, the other needs him to run his misloads. Make sure you do these without sheeting closed between 12-1 and after 5, getting business savers off before 3 in the split that was piled on 5 mins after start time, and get the truck back before 9pm.

Requesting instruction on the DIAD isn't to build a case to terminate the employee, it's to build a case of management incompetence. The DIAD tells me what to do, you're the one that types it in, you're the one to make the decision, and you're the one responsible when it all implodes. I collect my check on Friday and you collect ulcers, sounds good to me.