Yearly ride along observation with sup

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You're lucky. Most times they would just say that ride didn't count and leave you with a horse s--t time allowance.
Had that happen years later. New time studies came in and center manager did not like my 2 hours over. He sent a sup with me the next day.

I was 3 hours over and the sup told the center manager that I gave them a pretty good day. This was before he saw the numbers.

When the center manager saw the numbers, he said that the sup did not know what he was doing on my OJS ride.

I told the center manager that he can brown up anytime he wants and come along. He never said another word about my 2 hours over everyday.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
That's the key. As long as they maintain the same OA during an OJS and management can't find too much wrong, they are fine.

The problem arises when a driver consistently runs 2 hours OA and is close to scratch during an OJS.

This is where discipline comes in. Not for production numbers, but for not being able to do the job supervised as unsupervised.

A 1 day OJS will not invoke discipline, but you can bet that UPS will follow up with multiple rides on different days to get a base point.

If the driver cannot come close to this base point unsupervised, discipline will be coming.

Most drivers in this situation pick it up a little and come close to the base for the next 6 months and then start taking longer and longer.

Then the whole process starts all over again.

Most drivers also get sick of the rides and keep it close to ride numbers.
how do we as drivers know if mgt is messing with the numbers when they ride with us to make it look like we are planning better...then change them back after the ride. I always wondered if when they put their initials into the diad if it changes anything...seems wierd they would have to do that anyway into the board..

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
At least you didn't get a ride with two of them..One new sup in the jump seat and the old crusty mgr standing in the cab holding on for dear life...I've heard stories about that happening...lol

I had that happen at PEAK once. My sup wanted to ride in the cab with me and my helper, on a rt with a lot of rural homes mixed with metro. They couldn't figure out why using a helper delivering to farmhouses was unproductive. Anyway, about the third pothole filled driveway that I hit at 30 mph, my radio hit the ceiling then smashed on the floor, narrowly missing him. He asked what the hell I was doing, and I said I was just trying to find all that lost production. That was the final 3 in the cab ride of my career.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
how do we as drivers know if mgt is messing with the numbers when they ride with us to make it look like we are planning better...then change them back after the ride. I always wondered if when they put their initials into the diad if it changes anything...seems wierd they would have to do that anyway into the board..
You really don't if they're just trying to light a fire under your arse. But if they are contemplating discipline, all the time study numbers are available to the union.

A quick check can see if numbers were altered.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you perform better on your ride along, sure as :censored2:, they're gonna bring it up. "Hey when I was with you, your were 50 clicks better" et al. Follow the methods, work safely, and remember. You're human. YOU ARE GONNA MAKE MISTAKES.

WITH ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL it would be hard for the driver to justify running 19.0 w/company and 16.0 by himself.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When you have your ride your on-car will change the code in your DIAD which will change the allowances for that area for that day.

rod

Retired 22 years
They have a knack for knowing which days to ride with you. For some reason it most always ends up to be a beautiful day when you have a light load with hardly any CODs and low miles-----and your load was carefully gone over before you started. They never ride with you on a crappy day whens its 10 below and your blown out.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
WITH ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL it would be hard for the driver to justify running 19.0 w/company and 16.0 by himself.
Not hard at all to justify: ORION, Area Changes(add cuts) Misloads, Bulk,Weather, etc. can all seriously impact the paid day. I will say that if the driver works safely,by the methods,drives the speed limit and walks driveways on a daily basis the margin of difference will be very slight with a supervisor on board.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
True but it's been stated on here before that they have harassed driver that was 1/2 a stop difference on a ride vs. By themselves...do you think that is ok...it's unacceptable imo.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Not hard at all to justify: ORION, Area Changes(add cuts) Misloads, Bulk,Weather, etc. can all seriously impact the paid day. I will say that if the driver works safely,by the methods,drives the speed limit and walks driveways on a daily basis the margin of difference will be very slight with a supervisor on board.
Routes can change 3 sporh a day even if they aren't out with you so when they are it could also change 3 sporh....This isn't an assembly line job....too many variables through out the day even when the day goes smoothly. I just find it hard to believe that they think every driver in every different delivery situation will be getting the package out in 5.8 seconds or how ever milliseconds we get for selection..along with all the other aspects of this job..

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
They have a knack for knowing which days to ride with you. For some reason it most always ends up to be a beautiful day when you have a light load with hardly any CODs and low miles-----and your load was carefully gone over before you started. They never ride with you on a crappy day whens its 10 below and your blown out.
A few years back, I had my annual OJS on a beautiful sunny June day. The load was perfect and the dispatch very light. I soon discovered why....the sup had gotten himself a 5:30 tee time at a golf course on my route, with a friend meeting him there who would take him back to his car when they were done playing. He very politely asked if there was "anything he could do" to help us get done in time...which meant I got to make him run his ass off all day while I barely ever even got out of the drivers seat. It was probably the easiest 9 hours I have ever had at UPS. I don't remember what he wound up filling out on the OJS paperwork, and since it went into a filing cabinet never to be seen again I don't really care.

rod

Retired 22 years
A few years back, I had my annual OJS on a beautiful sunny June day. The load was perfect and the dispatch very light. I soon discovered why....the sup had gotten himself a 5:30 tee time at a golf course on my route, with a friend meeting him there who would take him back to his car when they were done playing. He very politely asked if there was "anything he could do" to help us get done in time...which meant I got to make him run his ass off all day while I barely ever even got out of the drivers seat. It was probably the easiest 9 hours I have ever had at UPS. I don't remember what he wound up filling out on the OJS paperwork, and since it went into a filing cabinet never to be seen again I don't really care.

Its amazing how they can juggle things around when they want to. Now if you would have said you needed off early years ago they would automatically give you 10 or 20 more stops. I person learned real quick not to let them know.

JackStraw

Kinda hard to defend that in the office. SHAME on the driver who does that. That's almost 30 more stops in a regular day. If your out there screwing them they'll know.