Yes or NO on NEW CONTRACT?

Will u vote yes or no on the new contract?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Part-Time Starting Rate Frozen at $8.50

Healthcare Givebacks for New Part-Timers
Details on the proposed economic package for part-timers are beginning to emerge, and they are not pretty.

The tentative agreement would freeze the starting pay rate for part-timers at $8.50 until August 2013. It would provide for an increase to $10.50 after 90 days on the job.

In a major concession, the proposed early deal reportedly denies health coverage to part-timers for the first year of employment, and family coverage for the first 18 months.

This is the “Very Best Agreement” that Hoffa promised?

The starting rate for part-timers at UPS will soon fall below the legal minimum wage in many states. In California, for example, the minimum wage will be $8.00 by the end of this year. By the time this contract takes effect (Aug. 1, 2008), it may be $8.50.

What will the minimum wage be in 2013 in California or in your state? Almost certainly more than $8.50, and perhaps over $10.50.

Should the largest and strongest Teamster contract—at the richest Teamster employer—provide for starting wages that are less than the minimum wage? Less than what Wal-Mart pays?

Under the proposed deal, it will take longer for part-time Teamsters to go full-time because the tentative deal will NOT create 10,000 new full-time jobs like the 1997 and 2002 contracts did. Instead it creates fewer jobs.

In a positive step, the tentative agreement increases the penalty for supervisors working from time-and-a-half to double time. That’s an improvement, where the union enforces this language.

UPS made more than $4 billion in profits last year. Is this really the best they could deliver to the part-timers who make up the majority of their workforce?
:crying::ohmy::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::crying::blush:

PreRec251

either way...i'm voting YES! and almost everyone else will too. you'll see. no way this contract gets turned down. anything to avoid a strike....

Vote no and you cant kiss your pension as you know it good bye. The pension reform act rules are simply.BE FUNDED OVER 80% or we will cut your benefit. Dont like it , then write your congressman or senator. They are the ones who changed the rules of the game.Giving up some minor things to get a five dollar increase for health and welfare , four in your pocket and no change in health care looks pretty good to me. Dont drink the kool aid that the unrealistic folks are offering you.The pension was goal number one. This contract will fix that concern!!:w00t:

YES

Philly...

1 - Where'd you get this information? I will believe it when I see something from the local.

2- I don't think that asking somebody to wait 90 days before they get a $2 an hour raise is unreasonable. If you can't last 90 days, you had no intention of staying very long to begin with, so it's kind of a moot point.

3- I agree that making the part timers wait a year for individual coverage and 18 months for family coverage sucks if that part is true. However, the part you're failing to comprehend here is that it is a part time job. Name another company that provides part timers with these kinds of benefits after any amount of time with the company. The people this hurts are the ones that are only in it for the short term and don't intend to go full time at any point or make UPS a career. It weeds them out before the company has to make a significant investment in them. Again, I agree this seems a little too long, but if they aren't planning to stick with UPS, why should we be overly concerned with them?

Ms.PacMan

When is a contract a contract? After the handshake or after it's ratified by the members? Does anybody know this?

Will the voting be completed and tabulated before 1/08 or was that handshake good enough to come in under the new pension law deadline.

I can't help but wonder if they (UPS and/or Teamsters) have a Plan B just in case the contract is voted down.

Leftinbuilding

People keep throwing out comparisons between UPS, Walmart and McDonalds. How long do you have to work at Walmart or McD before you make almost $30.00 an hour? How many people support a family on McDonalds wages? How many 40 year olds do you see at McDs? What is their turnover rate? How many people work their career and retire from either of these? To compare them to UPS is patently ridiculous. On the other hand, if they look that appealing to you.........

W

westsideworma

The tentative agreement would freeze the starting pay rate for part-timers at $8.50 until August 2013. It would provide for an increase to $10.50 after 90 days on the job.

In a major concession, the proposed early deal reportedly denies health coverage to part-timers for the first year of employment, and family coverage for the first 18 months.

If this turns out to be true and thats a big IF, this is a mixed bag for the PTimers. While the Jump to 10.50 (am I to believe preloader/sorter rates would be 11.50?) is a nice touch, the no benefits for a year thing is not. I don't know if that will fly in MA with our new healthcare laws (not sure, its a big mess honestly). Still I believe the 8.50 thing will not attract any more workers because while the raise is nice, its just raising it to what it really should have been for a while now and now they have to wait a year for benes. Most newhires quit the first or second week anyway so that raise won't help all that much (some might stick it out).

I don't really want to get into this contract because as Red said it doesn't affect management employees (directly anyway), but the PTimers seem to be getting the short end of the stick again. I find that disheartening because even if the shifts are shorter, they work (most of them) just as hard while they're on the clock and are just as responsible for this company's success as the FTimers. Laugh at that if you want its the truth. I busted my ass for my drivers while I was a loader (2.5+ years) and they were always appreciative and while many were disappointed that I "sold out" they understood my reasoning for doing so (and no it wasn't all because of money, but that did play a part). Staffing for our shift is atrocious and I don't see it getting better if this rumored information turns out to be true.

pkg-king

I would encourage everyone to wait until you see everything. Just some food for thought, the 6.1 billion to buy out of the CS mess is one years profit to this company. If these raises are in fact true, consider yourselves lucky. I was truly expecting to see wages and or time off concession . 6.1 billion doesn't grow on trees.

I still can't understand why anybody cares what the starting rate of pay is. If your already an employee, it doesn't affect you. People continue to forget that all those benefits cost UPS AN ADDITIONAL $14.00 PER HOUR. You can't have it both ways. If you all wanted the hourly pay rate to increase then maybe you should have asked the union to give the employees the option of no benefits and a higher wage.

If what I hear is true, then given the situation, this ain't that bad.

Remember the big fish always eats the little ones!

Well said and I agree:thumbup1:

W

westsideworma

People keep throwing out comparisons between UPS, Walmart and McDonalds. How long do you have to work at Walmart or McD before you make almost $30.00 an hour? How many people support a family on McDonalds wages? How many 40 year olds do you see at McDs? What is their turnover rate? How many people work their career and retire from either of these? To compare them to UPS is patently ridiculous. On the other hand, if they look that appealing to you.........

they compare it because thats the age bracket of people that UPS wants...so yes it is a fair comparison. They want enough people who are just coming here for the college assistance and then will be gone, chew and screw if you will. Those people are going to places that pay more and UPS gets whatever is left when theres no space left there. For every 4 we hire it seems 2 leave and 1 doesn't even show and the 4th just hangs on and does just enough to get by until someone works him over (about misloads and/or production) and then he sees he's making 8.50 and paying for benefits he isn't using and says see ya. Then we're back in the hole again.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Im not gonna comment too much on the contract until more details are released...I do like the 60 day probation period solely for the fact that you can weed out the slackers and no call no show people quickly....they should address over time maybe an 8 hour day for friend/t pc drivers then that could create p/t pc driver jobs:thumbup1:

satellitedriver

they compare it because thats the age bracket of people that UPS wants...so yes it is a fair comparison. They want enough people who are just coming here for the college assistance and then will be gone, chew and screw if you will. Those people are going to places that pay more and UPS gets whatever is left when theres no space left there. For every 4 we hire it seems 2 leave and 1 doesn't even show and the 4th just hangs on and does just enough to get by until someone works him over (about misloads and/or production) and then he sees he's making 8.50 and paying dues for benefits he isn't using and says see ya. Then we're back in the hole again.
West,
You stuck with it. You have moved up in your postion through your personal dedication.
So can the future hires, if the have a long view and a strong work ethic.
Starting pay should be higher, but what seems to be lacking is the strong work ethic in the new hires.
My sup tells me that he tries to put on new drivers and they quit after the first week because the job is too hard. The money is there, the benefits are there, the willingness to do the work is not.
PAX

W

westsideworma

West,
You stuck with it. You have moved up in your postion through your personal dedication.
So can the future hires, if the have a long view and a strong work ethic.
Starting pay should be higher, but what seems to be lacking is the strong work ethic in the new hires.
My sup tells me that he tries to put on new drivers and they quit after the first week because the job is too hard. The money is there, the benefits are there, the willingness to do the work is not.
PAX

that doesn't mean there weren't times I was like "why am I doing this?" lol. You're right I stuck it out but originally I had no plans whatsoever of moving up either management or FT driver. I won't argue with you there on work ethic. When I got here thats all I had was a strong work ethic and an unwillingness to quit. I wanted to prove them wrong and I did. I have a good new hire, he's going to make it, he wants to make it and I'm trying to give him the best training I can (when hes not taken away from me to help another area....grrr but thats another story). A new hire like him is in the minority though. Most people view this job like many on here do, its JUST a part time job and therefore don't care about it. Many people we hire don't want to be drivers or CEOs, they just want some extra money.

I wish they would over two plans for PTimers, a rate for those using the benefits and a rate for those who don't. I think it might help. However who knows, the way we run some of the newbies ragged it probably wouldn't make a difference.

trickpony1

25 and out at $2500... if that's true....SEE YA:lol::lol:

Think that's alot of money?

$2500 times 12 = $30,000
$30,000 times .70 (what you might take home after tax) = $21,000
$21,000 divided by 52 weeks in a year = $403.85 per week take home.

This doesn't include any insurance premiums you may be required to pay.
I would think our company could do better than this.

parecasa

UPS caring about drivers pensions and retirement lol. The only UPS cares about is money. To the question of the starting wage, UPS is running out of people to hire in my town of 400,000 people. They all tell me that they could make the same money at mcdonalds without the stress of having to be perfect all the time. Lets look out for the future UPSers and stop saying it doesn't affect us what they make. UPS is spending pennies on this new contract. If I voted right now it would be nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

satellitedriver

UPS caring about drivers pensions and retirement lol. The only UPS cares about is money. To the question of the starting wage, UPS is running out of people to hire in my town of 400,000 people. They all tell me that they could make the same money at mcdonalds without the stress of having to be perfect all the time. Lets look out for the future UPSers and stop saying it doesn't affect us what they make. UPS is spending pennies on this new contract. If I voted right now it would be nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Anybody who has ever eaten at a McDonalds knows you are correct about the employees not being stressed to be perfect.

Details on the proposed economic package for part-timers are beginning to emerge, and they are not pretty.

The starting rate for part-timers at UPS will soon fall below the legal minimum wage in many states. In California, for example, the minimum wage will be $8.00 by the end of this year. By the time this contract takes effect (Aug. 1, 2008), it may be $8.50.

What will the minimum wage be in 2013 in California or in your state? Almost certainly more than $8.50, and perhaps over $10.50.

Should the largest and strongest Teamster contract—at the richest Teamster employer—provide for starting wages that are less than the minimum wage? Less than what Wal-Mart pays?

Under the proposed deal, it will take longer for part-time Teamsters to go full-time because the tentative deal will NOT create 10,000 new full-time jobs like the 1997 and 2002 contracts did. Instead it creates fewer jobs.

In a positive step, the tentative agreement increases the penalty for supervisors working from time-and-a-half to double time. That’s an improvement, where the union enforces this language.

UPS made more than $4 billion in profits last year. Is this really the best they could deliver to the part-timers who make up the majority of their workforce?
:sad::confused:1:sad::ohmy::ohmy:

kingOFchester

UPS made more than $4 billion in profits last year. Is this really the best they could deliver to the part-timers who make up the majority of their workforce? :sad::confused:1:sad::ohmy::ohmy:

What affect will this have on us new hires? I have just made my first month. By March 08 I should have the health for me and the family. Will I be "grand fathered" in? I can't see them taking them away in Aug. but not sure. UPS......scratch that....the teamsters "Hoffa" are really putting the big friend'u to its workers. I can't see how UPS will atract any hard workers as Part timers when they will pay crap and give no benefits for a year to 18 months. I know a lot of the guys in my shift have other businesses...window installlers...painters...contractors....al there for health bennies. I can't see any new guys coming in and having to wait that long to get the bennies.