yesterday

McGee

I prefer that you snake the entire load (boxes side by side) with the SPAs out until you start running out of room. When that happens Start dropping the big (the really big ones should already be down there) boxes to the floor to free up space. If you run out of space again then that's where you'd decide to put the smalls somewhere. I prefer in front (closer to the lip of the shelf) because it's easier to find.

And we REALLY hate it when you guys put 50 lbs+ boxes on the top shelves!
FWIW, I NEVER do that, why the hell would I want to lift that heavy az.z thing that high to possibly hurt you ? I don't roll that way. BUT I do know what you mean...I know people that do it and I try to tell them...

McGee

That is why I try and listen to the drivers about the way they want their trucks loaded. Then some upper mangement guy comes down and tells you your doing things wrong way. In my 15 years of being at ups I have been told numerous things by 20 different people. The list ranges from lip loading, not lip loading, putting smalls behind the packages to now putting them side by side, hazmat labels, writing numbers on packages, stacking out to not stacking out. The thing that really gets me is this new system puts bulk stops on the shelves. If your a new loader your going to do that even though you should drop it. Then I have the trucks that post office so two or 3 bags take up the space needed for them which I then have to put them in an open spot. Then besides all this all the xtra stuff you got to put because ups decides to pull a car out and slam out one car. Of course I been there 15 years and I know better and should expect this. Just if their going to change stuff they need to communicate the stuff better.

eh screw that, those post office bags go on last ( I'm NOT using valuable space for that)

Overpaid Union Thug

FWIW, I NEVER do that, why the hell would I want to lift that heavy az.z thing that high to possibly hurt you ? I don't roll that way. BUT I do know what you mean...I know people that do it and I try to tell them...

Exactly!

What's heavy?

I have no problems with anything under 90 lbs being on the top shelf. I'm pretty tall though also.

It is idiotic to put a 90 lb box on the top shelf. Plain and simple. Not everyone is a 6' 2" He-Man. And even if they are.....they could get injured just as easily as anyone else.

Last edited:

8 Hour Day

Slipped my preloader a 20 yesterday... Since being hired, she's been occasionally asking for one thing at a time she could do better. I tell her, and she addresses it. This week, it was labels up/out on floor pkgs and irregs.

I figure she's given me at least two extra hours with my wife and kids each week. That's worth at least a 20 to me.

Brown_Star

Methods Man
So I found out the other day after 15 years of being at ups and loading trucks for 13 years that you are no longer suppose to put smalls behind boxes on the shelfs blocking them in. The new method is to put a bigger boxes in the back and put the smaller ones in the front. Which seems to be a lack of communication on the part of ups. Just wonder what way the drivers prefer.
No difference to me as long as you don't miss load or load offroutes like my Stevie wonder loader!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 145

35years

Gravy route
If you want to load well...

1. Minimize packages on the floor.
- Fill the shelves before the floor.
- Drop 1 large box to the floor instead of 3 mediums.
- Center and front (bulkhead) of floor are last choice for filling
- The 3 feet behind the bulkhead door (center) should be uncluttered at all cost.
- Ideally you should be able to walk down the middle unless shelves and space under them are completely filled.
- Bulky pkgs under shelves or on floor should have pals visible (up and/or out).
- Keep floor stops as sequential as possible. Lower sequence #s on top of lower if you must stack different stops.

2. Shelves lip loaded with pals visible
-Snake load if possible (pkgs side by side, sequential, all pals visible up/out)
-Load larger boxes behind smaller ones with labels up on middle shelves, and out on top shelf. The goal is to be able to see the pals without moving them.
-If long roll type boxes are on back of shelf behind others, pal should be on the front end of roll slightly ahead of regular sequence position.
-Utilize shelf space before the floor. If section 8 is cut out, move a box (or five) out of the center of the floor and communicate it to the driver.

3. Sequence order is key.
-On the floor or on shelves, lower sequence numbers should be encountered by the driver first, as he makes his way from front (bulkhead) to back
-On shelves or on floor, lower sequence #s boxes on top of higher #s
-Sequence #s (on pal or marked on pkg) should be visible, and in sequence.