Yet another pension collapse under H. This one at local 707.

image.jpeg

542thruNthru

Processing internationals. Work in the "cage" (international holds) for the first 4 hours and on the "tower" (international sort) for the rest of the shift.

I hope you like it. It's going to be exactly like you said. From 90 mph to a crawl. The 3 guys I know that moved from driving to inside hate how boring it is. They all did it because of aches and pains. Now they want to retire even more because of it.

Still hope you enjoy it. It's kind of funny. You did the reverse of most people. Instead of inside to driving, you went driving to inside. ;)

MojaveJim

Some of the drivers i work with enjoy their jobs and would never retire at 62. It's great money and they say the "work out" keeps them younger.

Some feeder drivers and clerks work into their mid to late sixties because the work is easier.

For some.,.morbid as it is ;... it's their social life.

If the drivers in your center can work well past 62, then they must have bones of lead. It's not the case in our center. Several drivers will be retiring well before 60 and a few in their early 50's. I was willing to take a big pay cut for a combo job, but was still outbid, do to the language in the contract. Outbid by someone with half the seniority I have, makes perfect sense right! If you love your job and UPS is your social life, then I can see why some hang around longer. We've set ourselves up well with two 401k's and no mortgage in two years. Plus we have many interests outside our workplaces. I work to live, not live to work!

10 point

The drivers that retired with 35 to 40 years of service we're not Metro drivers. They all had country routes and retired in great physical condition. Many of the drivers we have that are close to 50 years old could work a long time yet.

They were hired when the Metro routes only had 100 stops to be 8 and a half to 9 hour day dispatch. Now they say that's only six and a half hours on paper.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I start my new 22.3 job on Tuesday. My plan is still to retire at my eligibility date (7/1/18) but if I enjoy what I am doing and do not have any immediate plans to relocate I very well may stay past that date.
Your gonna be bored out of your mind, but getting out of PC will save your body

10 point

Your gonna be bored out of your mind, but getting out of PC will save your body
And your mind.
The new guys will never .make it 30 yrs, then again, our pension probably won't either
Today I talked to someone I've known for many years and he told me he was retiring after 47(!) years working at a local factory that was known to pay a really good wage for many years. He told me his pension was going to pay him $400/mo. I thought...what the heck.

Another one of my friends said he just got his first raise in thirty years at the same (nonunion) plant and it was 19¢ per hour.
That's a wake up call.
Pathetic.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
And your mind.

Today I talked to someone I've known for many years and he told me he was retiring after 47(!) years working at a local factory that was known to pay a really good wage for many years. He told me his pension was going to pay him $400/mo. I thought...what the heck.

Another one of my friends said he just got his first raise in thirty years at the same (nonunion) plant and it was 19¢ per hour.
That's a wake up call.
Pathetic.
do they have a defined monetary allotment? we see what percentage of our hourly pay goes to funding benefits relative to actual take home pay...does this LOCAL FACTORY ...lol really? do this?

10 point

do they have a defined monetary allotment? we see what percentage of our hourly pay goes to funding benefits relative to actual take home pay...does this LOCAL FACTORY ...lol really? do this?
Good point.
Idk. I didn't have the wherewithal to ask him to clarify how, why, and where. Honestly, I just listened to what he said ("my pension pays $400/mo") and wished him the best.

After 47 years of working at this factory I was amazed that his SS and "pension" was only $2500/mo. I felt fortunate.

Then again, he doesn't have to replace both of his knees and he's 64.

10 point

Good point.
Idk. I didn't have the wherewithal to ask him to clarify how, why, and where. Honestly, I just listened to what he said ("my pension pays $400/mo") and wished him the best.

After 47 years of working at this factory I was amazed that his SS and "pension" was only $2500/mo. I felt fortunate.

Then again, he doesn't have to replace both of his knees and he's 64.
And being really, really honest....
the guy talks your leg off and I had two yards to mow.
I said "nice to see you, I've gotta run" about 3-4 times (to no avail) and the rest turned into white noise.:surrender