You can't make this stuff up

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAKAVELI

It's real easy to talk about staying out of driveways but depending on where you are that would be the equivalent of staying on the main road and walking off every side road.

You shouldn't be getting in driveway accidents though. There's no traffic so you should be able to safely navigate.

What do you do if they aren't served by the post office or if the mailboxes for their street are all out on the main road?
It's also real easy to make excuses. Now if this accident involved a child, I doubt anyone would be be making excuses for this person. The point I'm trying to make is, if you know a driveway is sketchy, don't go down it. Either walk it down, tag it, or if it's a secure location, leave it at the beginning of the driveway. In other words, CYA. This person is learning that the hard way.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
That's a bit drastic, but two points:

1. It's pretty hard to have an accident in a driveway. You back into it just enough to get off the road, maybe a little more if it's a long drive. Maybe nose-in if you know that you have adequate room to turn around.

2. Knowing the consequences, why not eliminate some of the risk?
Real world situations, not what you see on Fedex training videos, are why. Get out and walk up a long driveway. Hope you can outrun the dogs that lie in wait at most of these locations. SPH take a real nosedive when you can't even see the house you're walking to.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Maybe that person should not drive down driveways.

That's a bit drastic, but two points:

1. It's pretty hard to have an accident in a driveway. You back into it just enough to get off the road, maybe a little more if it's a long drive. Maybe nose-in if you know that you have adequate room to turn around.

2. Knowing the consequences, why not eliminate some of the risk?

Do you guys work up around Plattsburgh?

MAKAVELI

Real world situations, not what you see on Fedex training videos, are why. Get out and walk up a long driveway. Hope you can outrun the dogs that lie in wait at most of these locations. SPH take a real nosedive when you can't even see the house you're walking to.
That's why I stated you have other options. And like I said, would anyone be making excuses if the accident involved a child?

dex 84

It's also real easy to make excuses. Now if this accident involved a child, I doubt anyone would be be making excuses for this person. The point I'm trying to make is, if you know a driveway is sketchy, don't go down it. Either walk it down, tag it, or if it's a secure location, leave it at the beginning of the driveway. In other words, CYA. This person is learning that the hard way.

It's not a bad point. There are definitely situations you shouldn't be getting yourself into and you could include some driveways into that.

The problem I have with this sort of situation is that the fact that he's in a driveway automatically means he's going to be hit hard for the accident. What if it was a private road? What if there is only one house on that private road? Where do we draw the line and why are we drawing a line?

Best practices would be to never go into a driveway which is unrealistic in the real world, especially if you consider leaving the package in the street or at the mailbox if there is one is not what we're supposed to be doing. So as soon as you break the plane of the driveway you're entering an accident free zone where if something happens you are guaranteed to get slammed for it.

dezguy

Never heard of a letter for getting stuck. An olcc maybe, but never a letter.
If there is anything about this company we should all know it's that there is absolutely no uniformity as to how operations are run from location to location. What might be a verbal at one station is a full blown investigation at another.

5yearsleft

And the snow is 2 feet deep!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

So routes are now populated entirely by residential stops with insanely long driveways and most patrolled by aggressive dogs that are waiting to attack couriers. I missed that memo.

59 Dano

If there is anything about this company we should all know it's that there is absolutely no uniformity as to how operations are run from location to location. What might be a verbal at one station is a full blown investigation at another.

Don't hit something in a driveway and it won't be an issue. I don't think there's anything at any station for that.

dex 84

So routes are now populated entirely by residential stops with insanely long driveways and most patrolled by aggressive dogs that are waiting to attack couriers. I missed that memo.

There's a lot of different routes across the country. You might have trouble imagining what sort of challenges might be commonplace to someone else.

59 Dano

There's a lot of different routes across the country.

I'm well aware that routes are different. I know that the insanely long driveway with mean dogs that are lying in wait for couriers are the exception, not the rule. And you know that as well as I do.

Regardless...

You might have trouble imagining what sort of challenges might be commonplace to someone else.

If it's a challenge for a person to keep from having an accident in a driveway, then he's a loser and has no business being a courier. None.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Wow! It's nice to know there are so many perfect drivers in the world. Maybe I should move where y'all are. Traffic sucks where I am.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It's not a bad point. There are definitely situations you shouldn't be getting yourself into and you could include some driveways into that.

The problem I have with this sort of situation is that the fact that he's in a driveway automatically means he's going to be hit hard for the accident. What if it was a private road? What if there is only one house on that private road? Where do we draw the line and why are we drawing a line?

Best practices would be to never go into a driveway which is unrealistic in the real world, especially if you consider leaving the package in the street or at the mailbox if there is one is not what we're supposed to be doing. So as soon as you break the plane of the driveway you're entering an accident free zone where if something happens you are guaranteed to get slammed for it.

Thank you! Someone gets my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.