You can't make this stuff up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
So routes are now populated entirely by residential stops with insanely long driveways and most patrolled by aggressive dogs that are waiting to attack couriers. I missed that memo.
So routes are now populated entirely by residential stops with insanely long driveways and most patrolled by aggressive dogs that are waiting to attack couriers. I missed that memo.
Recognize yourself?....
Basic methods of a workplace bully
Although a workplace bully has many ways of controlling others and gaining power, five basic methods form the foundation of his powerful strategy for personal success. The most effective bullies employ these in a skillful blend of charm and aggression that carries them to the top of their profession.

Basic bully methods:

1. Manipulates through seduction
  2. Intimidates through verbal aggression
  3. Uses political gamesmanship
  4. Plays mind games
  5. Disguises true intentions and emotions
A bully encourages others to obey him by offering to meet their emotional and financial needs. He promises friendship, respect, career advancement and financial rewards, hoping you will strive for the success and acceptance that can come through him. However, he only delivers on his promises when it benefits him.

A bully is verbally aggressive in order to intimidate others into compliance. He uses angry outbursts as a weapon. He threatens failure, or uses guilt and shame to appeal to your sense of duty. If you resist, he argues vehemently. And if he feels you need to be taught a lesson, he embarrasses you in front of others.

A bully is constantly building his power base. He builds alliances within the company and undermines anyone who won’t support him. He gathers damaging information on his opponents, or blames them for any failures. He uses subtle, negative phrasing to demean his opponents and weaken them. He also seeks to control more company resources, which means fewer resources are available for his rivals.

4. Plays mind games to distort the thinking of others
A bully creates an alternative reality in the minds of those around him. He keeps people off-balance through half-truths, hearsay and misstatements. His distorted version of events is intended to obscure and confuse. or he intentionally misleads you so that you arrive at an incorrect conclusion, and then exposes your mistaken opinion as proof of your ignorance or unreliability.

5. Disguises his true intentions and emotions
A bully puts on a good act to gain your trust and respect. he never reveals his true intentions, which are self-serving and at times harmful to others. He conceals his innermost attitudes and emotions, which are self-absorbed and disrespectful of others. He maintains an image of strength, vision and leadership, and thus avoids exposing his underhanded, manipulative nature. A skilled bully can achieve a lifetime of success through his deceptions, not just in a typical workplace, but in entertainment, media and politics.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Yeah you missed that and every other memo because they don't issue them to shills.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Real world situations, not what you see on Fedex training videos, are why. Get out and walk up a long driveway. Hope you can outrun the dogs that lie in wait at most of these locations. SPH take a real nosedive when you can't even see the house you're walking to.

I've been on the roof of my truck several times during my career, after heading up some rural driveway and discovering that the mean dog(s) don't like someone there when their master isn't home. I head straight for the hood and then the roof. If I can't out-run them, I carry a 9 iron that has come in handy more than once.

And if you do get bit and/or injured? Get an attorney. You will win.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I've been on the roof of my truck several times during my career, after heading up some rural driveway and discovering that the mean dog(s) don't like someone there when their master isn't home. I head straight for the hood and then the roof. If I can't out-run them, I carry a 9 iron that has come in handy more than once.

And if you do get bit and/or injured? Get an attorney. You will win.

A lob wedge is more effective. More loft, less bounce and a little more weight.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Basic bully methods:

I'm seductive? Well OOH LA LA! Thanks for the compliment!

Own your actions and take responsibility for the choices you make, just like ol' Dano does.

If you feel bullied by that, sorry.

59 Dano

It's all good, Cactus. You've never had a positive response to the concept of taking responsibility for yourself and I surely didn't expect you to have one tonight.

59 Dano

Basic bully methods:

4. Plays mind games
  5. Disguises true intentions and emotions
A bully encourages others to obey him by offering to meet their emotional and financial needs. He promises friendship, respect, career advancement and financial rewards, hoping you will strive for the success and acceptance that can come through him. However, he only delivers on his promises when it benefits him.

I couldn't keep a straight face making such crazy promises. And even if I could, it would only take a couple of those broken promises to kill the whole strategy.

A bully is verbally aggressive in order to intimidate others into compliance. He uses angry outbursts as a weapon. He threatens failure, or uses guilt and shame to appeal to your sense of duty. If you resist, he argues vehemently. And if he feels you need to be taught a lesson, he embarrasses you in front of others.

Angry outbursts? Looks bad. Threats or guilt trips? I'd never have anyone dumb enough to fall for that cheap stuff. Lastly, I would never embarrass someone in front of others when people are champing at the bit to embarrass themselves.

A bully is constantly building his power base. He builds alliances within the company and undermines anyone who won’t support him. He gathers damaging information on his opponents, or blames them for any failures. He uses subtle, negative phrasing to demean his opponents and weaken them. He also seeks to control more company resources, which means fewer resources are available for his rivals.

Or just outperform them instead.

4. Plays mind games to distort the thinking of others
A bully creates an alternative reality in the minds of those around him. He keeps people off-balance through half-truths, hearsay and misstatements.

Why would I want to work with, for, or in charge of confused ignorant people???

5. Disguises his true intentions and emotions
A bully puts on a good act to gain your trust and respect. he never reveals his true intentions, which are self-serving and at times harmful to others. He conceals his innermost attitudes and emotions, which are self-absorbed and disrespectful of others. He maintains an image of strength, vision and leadership, and thus avoids exposing his underhanded, manipulative nature. A skilled bully can achieve a lifetime of success through his deceptions, not just in a typical workplace, but in entertainment, media and politics.

Alternatively, you can be straight with people and have twice the success with half the effort.

Really, you should call this list "How To Make Simple Things Complicated." I don't know where you got this list, but whoever wrote it is a fool. These things in this list require way more work than they should. I'd be ashamed to work with people that would fall for any of this stuff.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I couldn't keep a straight face making such crazy promises. And even if I could, it would only take a couple of those broken promises to kill the whole strategy.

Angry outbursts? Looks bad. Threats or guilt trips? I'd never have anyone dumb enough to fall for that cheap stuff. Lastly, I would never embarrass someone in front of others when people are champing at the bit to embarrass themselves.

Or just outperform them instead.

Why would I want to work with, for, or in charge of confused ignorant people???

Alternatively, you can be straight with people and have twice the success with half the effort.

Really, you should call this list "How To Make Simple Things Complicated." I don't know where you got this list, but whoever wrote it is a fool. These things in this list require way more work than they should. I'd be ashamed to work with people that would fall for any of this stuff.
You have quite the habit of exaggerating and distorting what people say on here in order to ridicule, and therefore discredit what is said, with a typically superior and condescending attitude. I don't doubt your intellect, and will defend your right to speak your opinion, but your methods are quite definitely one of a bully.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I've been very heavy on P-1 the last few Mondays having lates. Managements solution to fix it? Start me ten minutes later. If they think I'm going to move faster to make up for it they've got another think coming.

Cactus

I've been very heavy on P-1 the last few Mondays having lates. Managements solution to fix it? Start me ten minutes later. If they think I'm going to move faster to make up for it they've got another think coming.
They're not interested in good service. Starting you ten minutes late looks good to your district on paper because most likely cutting hours/costs is the current hot topic.

59 Dano

You have quite the habit of exaggerating and distorting what people say on here in order to ridicule, and therefore discredit what is said, with a typically superior and condescending attitude. I don't doubt your intellect, and will defend your right to speak your opinion, but your methods are quite definitely one of a bully.

As long as you're giving sermons for message board decorum, maybe you should start with the person(s) who respond with both barrels blazing with vitriolic personal attacks whenever someone doesn't profess to hate the company at a rate that they deem acceptable.

Maybe the other participants (all of them well-mannered saints) will rub off on me with nice, polite, mature, and well-thought out posts. Until then, if something is said that I know for a fact to be wrong, I'm going to point it out. Or, as you call it, engage in bullying.

59 Dano

They're not interested in good service. Starting you ten minutes late looks good to your district on paper because most likely cutting hours/costs is the current hot topic.

The district doesn't care about service. That's a good one!

Cactus

The district doesn't care about service. That's a good one!
If they did give a rat's ass about service they wouldn't keep insisting on start times being cut back all the time along with couriers leaving the building over capacity.

Knucklehead.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
As long as you're giving sermons for message board decorum, maybe you should start with the person(s) who respond with both barrels blazing with vitriolic personal attacks whenever someone doesn't profess to hate the company at a rate that they deem acceptable.

Maybe the other participants (all of them well-mannered saints) will rub off on me with nice, polite, mature, and well-thought out posts. Until then, if something is said that I know for a fact to be wrong, I'm going to point it out. Or, as you call it, engage in bullying.

An OLCC for you, because you don't hate the company enough. In fact, you get a warning letter.

SmithBarney

If there is anything about this company we should all know it's that there is absolutely no uniformity as to how operations are run from location to location. What might be a verbal at one station is a full blown investigation at another.

Exactly, we had a brand new Isuzu, driver got into no less than 4 incidents/accidents. Heavy damage on 4 different locations of a brand new vehicle not a single OLCC, in fact driver just was awarded their "safe" driving award (plenty of snickers to be heard from the crowd)

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Exactly, we had a brand new Isuzu, driver got into no less than 4 incidents/accidents. Heavy damage on 4 different locations of a brand new vehicle not a single OLCC, in fact driver just was awarded their "safe" driving award (plenty of snickers to be heard from the crowd)
He wasn't management?
I never filled out an accident form once I went into management
Just wrote it up for touch-up

Status
Not open for further replies.