You can't make this stuff up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
In theory, no one wants to stay out that extra 30 minutes. OK, that theory is true. The other side of the theory is that you'd hustle up to offset having to stay out longer. That part is crap except for those who are on the borderline of having an 8 hour day. Not that there's really any penalty if you go over 8 with only a 30 anyway.
They try to make everyone believe there IS a penalty at my station. I'm sure OLCC's are forthcoming. We were just reminded in a meeting this morning that hour breaks were mandatory over 8. In reality, it all depends on the manager. Just like there was a person in my station who got fired for three warning letters for habitually being late. There is another person, different manager, who is just as bad. That person has not been documented whatsoever for being late. Crazy.

McFeely

Huge Member
Maybe I'm dense, but for the life of me I can't figure out or understand when it's explained to me, how it makes us more productive. :(

It can also make a courier not sit around with his thumb up his ass waiting on his pickup route, if he has one.

On one of my routes about a year ago I had to have a phone call with my manager to explain to him that I'd have 2 or 3 late 4:30 P1 packages if I took another 30 min, or I could make them on time but I'd be back-tracking to get all the other stuff I drove by on the county roads...therefore not making my productivity numbers.

SmithBarney

In theory, no one wants to stay out that extra 30 minutes. OK, that theory is true. The other side of the theory is that you'd hustle up to offset having to stay out longer. That part is crap except for those who are on the borderline of having an 8 hour day. Not that there's really any penalty if you go over 8 with only a 30 anyway.

I think it has nothing to do with how late you stay out.
Its actually easier for many to be more productive by working straight through.
I find my break actually disrupts the day and flow trying to find a proper time/place to break screws with my day. That being said I find a shady maple in the park, and sleep under it for an hour... ;) before my commute back to STA

Actually the theory use to work before the 8pm commit times.
Basically before when you had the earlier commit, if you took a 30, it was assumed you were coasting the afternoon, if you took a full 60, you'd have to hustle to finish by commit. Now with virtually no commit(cept business), nobody cares

Also the elimination of DEL/PUP routes in many areas also causes numbers to drop.
If you are a pure DEL route with no push to make PUPS there is a tendency to slide or not hustle(in MGR eyes)

Last edited:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
They try to make everyone believe there IS a penalty at my station. I'm sure OLCC's are forthcoming. We were just reminded in a meeting this morning that hour breaks were mandatory over 8. In reality, it all depends on the manager. Just like there was a person in my station who got fired for three warning letters for habitually being late. There is another person, different manager, who is just as bad. That person has not been documented whatsoever for being late. Crazy.

Or does more of it depend on the courier?

59 Dano

Are you saying because management might be afraid of messing with one of the couriers?

I'm saying that some late couriers are more valuable to keep around than others. NOT saying that one guy should get the hammer and another guy should be allowed to come in whenever the hell he wants, but a person's higher-ups are more likely to cut slack to those who are more valuable.

Then again, it could be that one person is dealing with some extenuating circumstances and the other is just late all the time.

If a manager is afraid of one of the couriers, they both need to be sent packing.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I'm saying that some late couriers are more valuable to keep around than others. NOT saying that one guy should get the hammer and another guy should be allowed to come in whenever the hell he wants, but a person's higher-ups are more likely to cut slack to those who are more valuable.

Then again, it could be that one person is dealing with some extenuating circumstances and the other is just late all the time.

If a manager is afraid of one of the couriers, they both need to be sent packing.
In this case they both have the same value and they both just arrive when they feel like it. The difference is management is afraid to mess with one.

Artee

Just like there was a person in my station who got fired for three warning letters for habitually being late. There is another person, different manager, who is just as bad. That person has not been documented whatsoever for being late. Crazy.

Whats a late? I have not had one in years. Can't you just call your manager and let them know the traffic is bad and you will probably not make it on time? Manager can then adjust your start time when you get in thereby saving you a late?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Whats a late? I have not had one in years. Can't you just call your manager and let them know the traffic is bad and you will probably not make it on time? Manager can then adjust your start time when you get in thereby saving you a late?
Depends on the manager.

59 Dano

In this case they both have the same value and they both just arrive when they feel like it. The difference is management is afraid to mess with one.

Out of curiosity, why are they afraid of the one? The ones I've had the displeasure of dealing with are the types who make a federal case of EVERYTHING, no matter how trivial or inconsequential, and refuse to ever let anything go because they prefer to argue about it for nine eternities... all for the sake of being "right." Management isn't scared of them so much as they just don't want to put up with that crap.

Those couriers and the managers who allow that should all get booted.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Out of curiosity, why are they afraid of the one? The ones I've had the displeasure of dealing with are the types who make a federal case of EVERYTHING, no matter how trivial or inconsequential, and refuse to ever let anything go because they prefer to argue about it for nine eternities... all for the sake of being "right." Management isn't scared of them so much as they just don't want to put up with that crap.

Those couriers and the managers who allow that should all get booted.
Yes. That person is like that, plus they are much more knowledgeable about P & P. Also, having a handicap and FedEx not being accommodating as a result, helps their case as well. Major squeaky wheel.

dex 84

I think it has nothing to do with how late you stay out.
Its actually easier for many to be more productive by working straight through.
I find my break actually disrupts the day and flow trying to find a proper time/place to break screws with my day. That being said I find a shady maple in the park, and sleep under it for an hour... ;) before my commute back to STA

Actually the theory use to work before the 8pm commit times.
Basically before when you had the earlier commit, if you took a 30, it was assumed you were coasting the afternoon, if you took a full 60, you'd have to hustle to finish by commit. Now with virtually no commit(cept business), nobody cares

Also the elimination of DEL/PUP routes in many areas also causes numbers to drop.
If you are a pure DEL route with no push to make PUPS there is a tendency to slide or not hustle(in MGR eyes)

It can work the other way too. If I don't have pickups I'll hurry up and get my dels done and go home. If I have to stay out for the pups there's no incentive to get the dels done that fast so I have time for a longer break.

The other problem with the hour break is that you have to break off to get your business SOS done where if you talk a half you might be able to just get everything done by 3 without driving past residential neighborhoods you have p2 in only to come back later.

Purplepackage

It can work the other way too. If I don't have pickups I'll hurry up and get my dels done and go home. If I have to stay out for the pups there's no incentive to get the dels done that fast so I have time for a longer break.

The other problem with the hour break is that you have to break off to get your business SOS done where if you talk a half you might be able to just get everything done by 3 without driving past residential neighborhoods you have p2 in only to come back later.

I run a route where the commit time for the entire day is 4:30, ive had lates more than once out there. some days with pups you can do 90 stops and 250 miles with a driving half hour break

dex 84

I run a route where the commit time for the entire day is 4:30, ive had lates more than once out there. some days with pups you can do 90 stops and 250 miles with a driving half hour break

You drive during your break if you don't have time for it?

They're probably okay with that but if you ever have a light day I'm sure they're all over you about taking a full hour. That's why I won't take the hour when it's slow. I squeeze in too many halfs that don't really fit when it's busy.

SmithBarney

How does this work? unless you DEL only businesses in a PM area, or is the only service available PO? resi SO, E2, SAVER are 8PM across the board...
I know we have some wacky areas too.

Star B

White Lightening
We have an area with only a PO commit of 16:30, other than 8PM. It's an extremely rural area.

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Next chapter...... Today we got a broadcast telling us that when we do a Dex 3/incorrect address, and get to the screen where it asks if we need research or NRN, we can't choose NRN. If we know the address, we're just supposed to deliver it and not do any scans before hand. So, because it's a "focus item", they are basically leaving free money on the table if we don't do address corrections. WAD.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
This person got their job back...won the second level of the GFT.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Next chapter...... Today we got a broadcast telling us that when we do a Dex 3/incorrect address, and get to the screen where it asks if we need research or NRN, we can't choose NRN. If we know the address, we're just supposed to deliver it and not do any scans before hand. So, because it's a "focus item", they are basically leaving free money on the table if we don't do address corrections. WAD.
Somebody in Memphis or the district office doesn't have a whole lot to do besides hold up the wall while sucking down coffee in the breakroom 8 hours a day so they think up crap like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.