You can't make this stuff up

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That is correct. All hours worked during the week are calculated toward your minimum. The 6th day is always OT regardless of how many or how few hours you've worked.

Suppose you only have 32 hours going in to Saturday. You then work 6 hours on Saturday. Are you saying that they add the 3 hours to your 35 and pay you 1.5X for the 6 hours?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How so? All hours of work throughout the 7 day week are applied to your minimum. Any hours worked on the 6th day of are paid as OT hours regardless of how many total hours you've worked that week.

For instance, I work 6 hours a day Mon - Fri. I get 30 hours of pay plus the extra 5 to meet my guarantee.

Let's say I do the same thing the following week, plus I work 5 hours on Sat. I'd get 30 hours of pay plus 5 hours of OT and nothing else since I met my minimum guarantee of 35 hours.

There is a belief among some that the Saturday work in the latter scenario is excluded from the calculation of guaranteed hours. That would lead to getting paid an additional 5 hours of guarantee pay.

That's where my confusion is coming in as there are those who think that if they go in to Saturday with 30 and then work 5 that they will get 5 hours of OT and 5 hours of guarantee pay.

Thanks for the clarification.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
No he didn't. There's two things in play here. One is the policy that a full time employee is guaranteed 35 hours of pay whether or not they are provided with 35 hours of work. The other is that when you work your day off you are on overtime from punch to punch.

Not quite. PT'ers whose regular schedules are 3 or 4 days/week don't get OT on that respective 4th or 5th day.

59 Dano

Suppose you only have 32 hours going in to Saturday. You then work 6 hours on Saturday. Are you saying that they add the 3 hours to your 35 and pay you 1.5X for the 6 hours?

No. The 6 hours are added to the 32 for 38, and you've met your minimum. That's what I was getting at when I said that all hours worked during the week are used in meeting your guaranteed of hours.

You still get 1.5X for the 6 hours.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No. The 6 hours are added to the 32 for 38, and you've met your minimum. That's what I was getting at when I said that all hours worked during the week are used in meeting your guaranteed of hours.

You still get 1.5X for the 6 hours.

But the 32 would be straight time----right?

59 Dano

there are those who think that if they go in to Saturday with 30 and then work 5 that they will get 5 hours of OT and 5 hours of guarantee pay.

It's a very popular belief among the workgroup lawyers at stations across the country.

32 * 10 = 320

3 * 10 = 30

320 + 30 = 350

6 * 15 = 90

320 + 90 = 410

So it would make more sense to not get your guarantee during the week and work on Saturday.

Weird.

That's why no one should listen to station lawyers.

Last edited:

vantexan

When I got rehired in '98 I was given the choice of a pt pup rt or morning del rt. Mgr really pushed the evening pup rt, saying I'd be the one PTer getting extra hours because he'd call me in early a lot of days. In two months I got asked to come in early once while morning PTers got plenty extra helping FTers. So I got a job working at local newspaper overnight. Respectfully told mgr that I was no longer available in the mornings, thought it was no big deal since he never used me. He got about six inches from my face, beet red in the face, and literally screamed at me that I was ungrateful for him rehiring me. I was shocked, and found out he had failed his DOT physical 3 times due to hypertension. I told our most senior courier, who made up the schedule for our mgr, that I was considering filing a GFT. He told the mgr who then called me in and apologized and said of course I had the right to get another job if needed.

What's the point of this? For several months he kept asking me if I still worked at newspaper and what would it take to get me to leave it. I kept saying make me fulltime. Finally he posted a FT swing in-station and I was the only one to apply. When it closed he took me into the office and told me that it was my job. However, he said, you know how slow we are in the summer. I can't give you a full 35 hrs now but when the summer is over you'll get plenty of hours. But if I didn't agree to that he had to give job to courier coming off disability in a month who used to be a swing. He assured me that I definitely would get more hours later so I agreed. Came in next day and he had offer letter ready for me. I asked where was the waiver of hours for me to sign, and he said no waiver, just a little agreement between him and me. I knew right then this wasn't legitimate. Over the next 4 months I only worked over 35 hrs M-friend a couple of weeks. Most weeks I worked Saturdays to get about 36-37 hrs so I was working 6 days a week, except a couple of weeks where I got 33 and 28 hrs. He had head CSA enter I had waived my guarantee those weeks. I asked him when I would start working regular hours in September and he just snorted and walked away. I called HR after telling him I was filing a GFT and he and senior mgr had just called her. She started talking about station needs but when she saw I was going forward with GFT she said she'd get me 40 hrs a week if I dropped matter. Needless to say he treated me like crap until I transferred.

After transferring I went to company. I felt all those weeks I didn't get at least 35 hrs M-friend they owed me the difference on my guarantee. I was told by regional V.P. Dave Diamond that a week is 7 days, not 5, and plenty of employees get their guarantee on more than 5 days. That because I had volunteered to work Saturdays they could count that towards my guarantee. And that he could see no evidence of abuse other than my own opinion. Which he surmised after talking to my mgr over the phone. They did pay me guarantee for the two weeks I didn't work Saturday but of course didn't address how that happened. Mgr was eventually told to take mgr buyout or get fired, his choice.

At that next location they started putting pkgs in U.S. Mail to keep me from getting overtime. After how my pay issue was handled I wasn't about to go to company about how mgrs at new station were defrauding customers. Hindsight being 20/20 wished I had, loved it out there, and would have saved me a lot of crap working with A-hole mgrs and jackass oldfarts in the future.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
That's not the point. The company knows If they drop the guarantee employees will be leaving in droves.
I asked a PM manager if handlers were included in the October raise, he said no. Then he followed it by telling me that they only work 10 hours but are getting paid for 17.5 every week. Free money! Lol. And they wonder why they don't want to come to work.

MAKAVELI

I asked a PM manager if handlers were included in the October raise, he said no. Then he followed it by telling me that they only work 10 hours but are getting paid for 17.5 every week. Free money! Lol. And they wonder why they don't want to come to work.
They did get a raise. 3% but no step system.

Status
Not open for further replies.