you dont know what you've got till its gone

DS

Fenderbender
Other than you people in here,I don't have many close friends.Other than my wife, reggie was my best friend.
My wife works afternoons so I've been greeted home for the last 6 years by Reggie,our cat.Deb took him to the vet today and had him put to sleep.His liver was messed.He would'nt eat or drink for the last 3 weeks.
He would be on the fridge and grab on ang hug me and rub my cheek and purr.I have to admit I didn't know I could still cry like this.
I guess my real point is that you have to appreciate what you have now,because things can change before you get a chance to show how much you care.
I have been through a lot.My dad mom and sister are all gone,but for some reason Reggies demise has hurt me deeply.In about a month and a half he went from 17 pounds to 7 pounds.
Sorry to be such a wuss,but this is my venting ground,and I needed it bad.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Other than you people in here,I don't have many close friends.Other than my wife, reggie was my best friend.
My wife works afternoons so I've been greeted home for the last 6 years by Reggie,our cat.Deb took him to the vet today and had him put to sleep.His liver was messed.He would'nt eat or drink for the last 3 weeks.
He would be on the fridge and grab on ang hug me and rub my cheek and purr.I have to admit I didn't know I could still cry like this.
I guess my real point is that you have to appreciate what you have now,because things can change before you get a chance to show how much you care.
I have been through a lot.My dad mom and sister are all gone,but for some reason Reggies demise has hurt me deeply.In about a month and a half he went from 17 pounds to 7 pounds.
Sorry to be such a wuss,but this is my venting ground,and I needed it bad.

Feel your pain DS.
Lost my cat Gracie about 4 years ago. She was my baby and still miss her now.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
DS, I'm so sorry. I do understand how you feel. My animals mean as much to me as my hubby does. :crying::crying::crying: I would give you a hug if I could. :flowers:Couldn't find a hug smilie. Hope this will suffice.

trickpony1

DS-
I lost a 13 year old cat to hepatic lipidosis recently. I know how you feel.
That cat loved me dearly. At the cremation I cried and grieved more than when my mother passed.
I am so sorry. It is truly hard to lose a pet.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I so share your pain.
The reason you take it so hard is you get used to not seeing Mom dad Sis every day. Your life is now your mate and your pets or kids.
And now they are gone.
I lost Buster 3 wks before Christmas one year, he was a 13 yr old collie. Cried like a baby for weeks, didnt decorate for Christmas, I am crying right now as I remember the pain. But as with all deaths, the good memories come back and give me comfort. But it takes time God does it take time. So I said I would never, ever get another.....................
Then a year later, this big old doby literally walked in the house behind me, and planted herself in front of the fireplace. Scared the crap outta me as I had just recently been attacked, and when I turned around and saw her, I about died. She spent 7 yrs here, she was 14 and we had to put her down because of inoperable tumors. Cry, mourn, sleepless nights, days I dont remeber slugging through. I said, thats it, screw this I will never EVER GET ANOTHER PET UNTIL I WILL OUTLIVE IT. And I cried and still do,.
Then a month later I was on petfinder.com. Found another one. But she needed me. :surprised:She was a rescue, the best mannered dog, a doby, I could ever wish for.
Did you ever listen to Paul Harvey? RIP. Being there at the end, is true love. At least I think it was Paul.
So I guess what I am trying to tell you Guy is it hurts to love and lose, but the time was great together, the grief is real, and anyone who would not feel the same is an ass, not a woos.
And now I have 2 dobies, just got the baby, as I always get the older ones from the rescue and they never live long enough. Why I dont know. Other than no love is so pure as that of a pet. Cry, feel, mourn, it is just like losing a family member, sometimes worse. They were/are your family.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
DS-
I lost a 13 year old cat to hepatic lipidosis recently. I know how you feel.
That cat loved me dearly. At the cremation I cried and grieved more than when my mother passed.
I am so sorry. It is truly hard to lose a pet.
Exactly, I feel guilty sometimes as I think I mourned more. But although it doesnt have the history we do with our parents, it is more constant as when we were a child, now we have that bond with a pet.

Sammie

DS, I'm very sorry for your loss. Being allergic to cats and having only dogs, we put two down because of illness and old age.
They were our family and friends as much as anyone could be
and a huge part of our life story, as are the ones we now have.
Their pix will stay in my wallet. We shared our lives together.

Their love is unconditional and your happiness seems to be their goal, despite whatever hell mood you might be in or if you decide to spend a weekend with your hair on end and frumped up in your skivvies. Nothing can take their place.

I know you were a good "Daddy" to your baby. The love you shared will always be there. Try to take comfort in the good times.

moreluck

golden ticket member
OH DS, so sorry to hear about Reggie. It's amazing how attached we become to our pets. It's never easy to lose them. We've put down a couple dogs (old age) and it's awful!!

Take care and remember the good Reggie times!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I raised 2 rott puppies (brother/ sister). Had them from 6 wks old. Lost both of them within about 6 months of each other at about age 7. My little girl went first and then her brother. I think he was just lonely. It was really hard and I cried forever, seems like.

PS Thank you for sharing with us DS. I know it was hard for you to do it.

over9five

Staff member
2005 we lost our 14 year old Lab mix. I got her at the dump when she was a puppy (Yes, the dump!). Best dog ever, have no urge to replace her, she can't be replaced.

RIP Pongo

Tater's Dad

It is always hard to lose a family member. I remember my first cat (Sinbad) and think about him often. I was 9 when I got him and 26 when I lost him - over 6 years ago. I always think about the goodtimes we had together... but life moves on and we make new friends and they too will become family (I adopted brother and sister cats 4 years ago) - and I will put myself through the same pain as I did 6 years ago when it is their time to go.

As my mother always says (she is a nurse) we always treat our animals better then our family. If the animal is sick and dying, we make the heart wrenching decision to move them on... meanwhile, we try to save our family and have them suffer for years (had this happen with my Grandfather) watched him dying in a hospital for over a year - in pain everyday and nothing we could do.

Well enough of that - now that I am in tears.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It is always hard to lose a family member. I remember my first cat (Sinbad) and think about him often. I was 9 when I got him and 26 when I lost him - over 6 years ago. I always think about the goodtimes we had together... but life moves on and we make new friends and they too will become family (I adopted brother and sister cats 4 years ago) - and I will put myself through the same pain as I did 6 years ago when it is their time to go.

As my mother always says (she is a nurse) we always treat our animals better then our family. If the animal is sick and dying, we make the heart wrenching decision to move them on... meanwhile, we try to save our family and have them suffer for years (had this happen with my Grandfather) watched him dying in a hospital for over a year - in pain everyday and nothing we could do.

Well enough of that - now that I am in tears.

That's true and touching...now go give Tater a hug and a kiss.

trickpony1

DS-
I found two verses that helped me with the loss of my cat. They may help you too.

("A Pet's Prayer")(applies to cats too).
(The Rainbow Bridge).

Your cat loved you dearly. You were the center of it's existence. Your cat would want you to love another animal just as much as you loved him.

You will be reunited someday.

I have to stop now.

rod

Retired 22 years
My heart goes out to you DS. I used to be Mr. Toughguy but as I have gone through the deaths of both sets of Grandparents, my Mom and Dad, my father-in law, and my only Son I just continue to get more emotional every time a death happens. We inherited my Sons 2 cats and they are now approching 14 years old. They don't do much but lay around but I know I will be a basket case when their time comes. Our grief councelor told us after my Son passed away that after awhile " it won't hurt any less- but it will hurt less often". I cringe everytime I hear a well meaning person tell someone " they are in a better place now" because they aren't- they belong with you so you can hold them and hug them and tell them how much you love them. Piece be with you Friend.

fethrs

Ds I am very very sorry for your loss. I have 4 cats a dog and another stray cat that I feed and brush when he lets me. The things that scare me moet in my life right now aren't losing my job, or financial worries, they are losing my parents and my pets. I dont' have kids, my pets are my kids and I like them more than I like a lot of people. You will always have the memories, don't ever let them go. Best of luck with moving on, it's hard but you can do it..

rocket man

1205 am phone rang police your dog cut his leash ran down road got hit died. I went and picked him up put him in pickup. he was a mess. I slept with him in bed of truck all night. ill alwAYS miss BUSTER BEAR .I was more broke up then when dad passed. my dog was out in front i went out to get him in for the night he was gone. [ he loved to run] I creamated him hes with us for ever.

Big Babooba

DS, I know what you're feeling. This July, it will be 2 years since we lost our cat Sasha to a liver ailment. He was the most lovable cat we ever had. This past September we lost Oliver. He was blind from birth but what he lacked for vision, he made up with faithfulness. It's tough saying goodbye to a pet. I had a tough time doing it. I kinda felt like I had somehow let them down. Now I only have photos and memories. The photos may fade away, but never will the memories. Cheer up my friend.