You dont see UPS doing this!

stoni24

That would b such a slap in the face if I worked there. Oh wait, if I were an "independent contractor" there.

SmithBarney

It's all about the $$, nothing more nothing less. If you can write off a million dollar(or whatever amount) aircraft as a donation
Fred Will.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
If UPS could do it, it would. The 727 is a popular training aircraft. Passenger 727 were widely flown until the mid-2000s, and the plane is still popular among freight carriers. Meanwhile, UPS is paying storage fees on aircraft it retired during the downturn -- DC-8 and classic 747. Passenger DC-8 flights pretty much ended in the 1980s (and nearly all remaining freighters were retired with fuel stored) -- because of this, it's seen as an old aircraft and nobody wants them. And the 747 is just too huge to be a training aircraft most places.

Leftinbuilding

If UPS could do it, it would. The 727 is a popular training aircraft. Passenger 727 were widely flown until the mid-2000s, and the plane is still popular among freight carriers. Meanwhile, UPS is paying storage fees on aircraft it retired during the downturn -- DC-8 and classic 747. Passenger DC-8 flights pretty much ended in the 1980s (and nearly all remaining freighters were retired with fuel stored) -- because of this, it's seen as an old aircraft and nobody wants them. And the 747 is just too huge to be a training aircraft most places.

Do you know where they are mothballed?

bbsam

Staff member

bbsam

Staff member
Hard to believe Fred would leave himself open to any liability, why wouldn't UPS take the same precautions?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
That's called a "win-win" in my book and I do wonder why UPS wouldn't do the same thing.

The value of a 727, DC-8 or classic 747 is less than that of a typical suburban house. Given the storage fees UPS is paying on its retired aircraft, I'd imagine it'd donate the aircraft if it could. I suspect the biggest problem is that nobody wants them. The DC-8 is truly a vintage jet (mostly out of passenger service by the 1980s) and the stretch versions that UPS operated aren't exactly small, either -- comparable in size to the 757-300, which United and Delta operate on their highest capacity routes. Hard to give something away when nobody wants them, especially with many classic 737 up for grabs.