You guys in Springfield Mass okay? Tornado!

BrownArmy

Fine here in the greater Boston area...a little rain, a little lightning, a little humid.

The dispatch sucked though...

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Looks ugly from Lowell area to SPringfield, we up here are not ready for torandos. Hope UPS bought all the drivers in fast when this started coming in.

klein

Für Meno :)
The only warning we have gotten once was thru the Diad ! It said Tornedo Warning, keep eyes at the sky.

UPSGUY72

When I left the sprinfield building at 8:15 there where driver still out on the road I the positive side there wasn't any talk about anyone getting hurt but that could change when I show up to work tomorrow which should be a fun day. I got lucky the area I covered today only got rain but some of the areas that I'm always on got hammered or should I say destroyed.

Hopefully all my brother and sisters are safe at home now.

Big Babooba

I was about 5 miles away from the tornado. It sounded like a freight train even from that distance. So far only one fatality has been reported. The pale yellow sky at 8:20 at night was a bit eerie though.

Re-Raise

Watching the weather channel about 20 minutes ago and they showed a picture that a viewer sent in of a package car off the road with what looked like a tree on it.

I hope the driver is okay.

Big Babooba

This video was taken by a remote control traffic camera. The Connecticut River's natural flow is from the right of the screen (north) to the left (south) towards Long Island Sound. The river is over 1100 feet wide at the railroad bridge.
[video=youtube;W5plBdPBNj8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5plBdPBNj8&feature=related[/video]

iowa boy

This video was taken by a remote control traffic camera. The Connecticut River's natural flow is from the right of the screen (north) to the left (south) towards Long Island Sound. The river is over 1100 feet wide at the railroad bridge.
[video=youtube;W5plBdPBNj8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5plBdPBNj8&feature=related[/video]

I don't like seeing tornadoes in any way shape or form, but what it did on the river with the water was awesome!!!! Even my wife thinks so.

paidover95

I was about 5 miles away from the tornado. It sounded like a freight train even from that distance. So far only one fatality has been reported. The pale yellow sky at 8:20 at night was a bit eerie though.

Yes that color sky was creepy!!!I have never seen that in my life!!!

Big Babooba

Yes that color sky was creepy!!!I have never seen that in my life!!!
I was out delivering one hot, humid summer day when an afternoon thunderstorm moved in. The sky turned green and I knew that we were in for some dangerous weather. There was nowhere to take cover because I was at an airport.

iowa boy

I wonder how many flying fish there were!

I wonder where they all ended up? Wouldn't that be a sight, walking out to your car to go home from work and see a fish floppin around on your car?

On a more serious note Babs, were you guys even warned about the tornado, or were you just told to "expect the unexpected?"

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Last week Wednesday/Thursday, I told many people (my wife included) that NE would see at least two signficiant tornados yesterday and quite a bit of damage, it was almost a no-brainer. The pattern was almost textbook perfect for many many days in all of the modeling available and nearly a slam-dunk. I was shocked and a little concerned that the TV and wx stations in the area downplayed the threat both Tuesday and yesterday, as well.

I had the opportunity to chase the SW NH tornado yesterday and did so successfully. However, I only saw the wall-cloud and did not see the actual funnel ( in too hilly/mountainous terrain to really "chase" in this area, anyway) I did not drive down to Springfield/Sturbridge/Monson, MA. Very rare to see such impressive storms in this area.

Unfortunately, we (the U.S.) will probably see at least one or two more significant outbreaks this Spring/Summer.

Godspeed to those families and friends affected. Thankfully, the tornados yesterday did not match those from 1989 (The Great Northeastern Outbreak) or 1953 , which was the grandaddy of them all. That would have been a truly grave situation.

Last edited: