You guys in Springfield Mass okay? Tornado!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
And a side note: yesterday was the most severe round of thunderstorms for this immediate area since....May 31, 1998 Memorial Day Outbreak.

And the last aside:

The title is Springfield , MA, which is by far the most notable tornado yesterday, however not the strongest.

This supercell struck Maine around 2:00-2:30pm and was the most intense and well formed structure of the day! Sickening.
post-13-0-62368200-1306955572.png

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son and I went to Fenway yesterday and drove back on the Mass Pike through some of the heaviest rain I have ever experienced. We could not see any of the damage from the highway but saw troopers and emergency personnel rushing to Springfield.

On a side note, how do you guys in Boston deal with the traffic, both vehicular and foot? We parked at BU Central ($20, thank you) and had the pleasure of fighting rush hour traffic on the T and then on Storrow Drive. It took us an hour to get only to the 495 exit. I felt bad for the two feeders that I saw driving in to Boston as they weren't going anywhere anytime soon. People do this every day?! Thanks, but no thanks.

Big Babooba

My son and I went to Fenway yesterday and drove back on the Mass Pike through some of the heaviest rain I have ever experienced. We could not see any of the damage from the highway but saw troopers and emergency personnel rushing to Springfield.

On a side note, how do you guys in Boston deal with the traffic, both vehicular and foot? We parked at BU Central ($20, thank you) and had the pleasure of fighting rush hour traffic on the T and then on Storrow Drive. It took us an hour to get only to the 495 exit. I felt bad for the two feeders that I saw driving in to Boston as they weren't going anywhere anytime soon. People do this every day?! Thanks, but no thanks.
Pahk the cah at Rivahside. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverside_%28MBTA_station%29 Take the T (Green Line) to Fenway station. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenway_(MBTA_station) The walk from the station is only a few blocks but the best paht is that the return trip is free! Don't forget to visit the dwarf planet Pluto while you ah thayah!:happy2:
Big Babooba promises not to steal your hubcaps while you ah thayah!!!(for a small donation of course!)

That must have been a traumatizing thing to witness.

The White Sox sweeping Boston, again, not the storm.

UPSGUY72

We had one guy I my side of the building get hurt yesterday. He was very lucky only a sprained shoulder a tree fell on his package car and he had to dive toward passenger side door. From what a mechanic and PT Sup saw when they went last night to recover the packages still in the car he is very lucky to be alive.

Re-Raise

Last week Wednesday/Thursday, I told many people (my wife included) that NE would see at least two signficiant tornados yesterday and quite a bit of damage, it was almost a no-brainer. The pattern was almost textbook perfect for many many days in all of the modeling available and nearly a slam-dunk. I was shocked and a little concerned that the TV and wx stations in the area downplayed the threat both Tuesday and yesterday, as well.

There aren't too many things you aren't an expert on are there?

You have any amazing grasp on the workings of the human mind and meteorology , but yet you can't deliver to Hispanics in a bad neighborhood.

Last week Wednesday/Thursday, I told many people (my wife included) that NE would see at least two signficiant tornados yesterday and quite a bit of damage, it was almost a no-brainer. The pattern was almost textbook perfect for many many days in all of the modeling available and nearly a slam-dunk. I was shocked and a little concerned that the TV and wx stations in the area downplayed the threat both Tuesday and yesterday, as well.

I had the opportunity to chase the SW NH tornado yesterday and did so successfully. However, I only saw the wall-cloud and did not see the actual funnel ( in too hilly/mountainous terrain to really "chase" in this area, anyway) I did not drive down to Springfield/Sturbridge/Monson, MA. Very rare to see such impressive storms in this area.

Unfortunately, we (the U.S.) will probably see at least one or two more significant outbreaks this Spring/Summer.

Godspeed to those families and friends affected. Thankfully, the tornados yesterday did not match those from 1989 (The Great Northeastern Outbreak) or 1953 , which was the grandaddy of them all. That would have been a truly grave situation.
Go get em Nostradamus.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Go get em Nostradamus.

25 credits shy of a B.S. in Meteorology, I dropped out in 1998. funny though. The thread I made on another forum site was one of the top 5 for hits and responses. So yes, I was definitely the first to officially "sound the alarm" on this. Not to brag, just 'sayin, one of my best heads-up in forecasting yet.

2,352 Replies

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:40 PM

"We've seen it in the models for quite some time now and if anything, they have converged a bit more. Possible "outbreak"?

Looks like a strong ML punch, favorable lapse rates- should be at least modest instability. There will probably still be issues, however it is almost a slam-dunk for some decent storms, timing and location aside - and possibly something even more interesting than "decent". "

25 credits shy of a B.S. in Meteorology, I dropped out in 1998. funny though. The thread I made on another forum site was one of the top 5 for hits and responses. So yes, I was definitely the first to officially "sound the alarm" on this. Not to brag, just 'sayin, one of my best heads-up in forecasting yet.

2,352 Replies

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:40 PM

"We've seen it in the models for quite some time now and if anything, they have converged a bit more. Possible "outbreak"?

Looks like a strong ML punch, favorable lapse rates- should be at least modest instability. There will probably still be issues, however it is almost a slam-dunk for some decent storms, timing and location aside - and possibly something even more interesting than "decent". "
I knew there was something about you. You seem a to be a little to smart to be a truck driver.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Anyway really bad damage across at least 10 or 15 miles of the tornados 40 mile long path, worse than I thought. Worse tornado than the 1989 Hampden CT tornado!

Hamden_tornado.jpg

now that surveys are being done by the NWS and other teams, it appears to be borderline EF-4 damage, which is remarkable for New England.

Look out next week Thursday-Saturday, major storm outbreak possible again!

Re-Raise

I knew there was something about you. You seem a to be a little to smart to be a truck driver.

Because he dropped out of school?

Saying there is a potential for a storm is no reason to pat yourself on the back. If he predicts a tornado for a particular area next week and it happens then I will be impressed. Telling us what he supposedly knew after the fact just makes him sound like a know it all.

He is close to being a driver.. sort of like he was close to being a meteorologist..

Saying there is a potential for a storm is no reason to pat yourself on the back. If he predicts a tornado for a particular area next week and it happens then I will be impressed. Telling us what he supposedly knew after the fact just makes him sound like a know it all.

He is close to being a driver.. sort of like he was close to being a meteorologist..
I was bustin his balls couldn't you tell when I called him Nostradamus?

Re-Raise

I was bustin his balls couldn't you tell when I called him Nostradamus?

He seems to hear what he wants to hear, and with his ego I am sure he took it as a compliment.

I never paid much attention to him until about a week ago , but after reading more of his posts he seems to be quite fond of himself.

UPSGUY72

He will never be a driver he already had a chance and declined supposedly because he was going to have to do his thirty days on a route that is in a bad area. It probably better for the driver in his building that he stays working on the inside otherwise he might end up being one of those drivers that just cause problem for themselves and other drivers all the time.