You should be ashamed of yourself!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Heck the POTUS only received the support of ~30% of eligible voters, why should we think voting for this contract would be any different?

People can't be bothered to vote in elections that directly impact them but most can't wait to vote for the next American Idol or to vote the next contestant off the island on Survivor.

Billy Boxtosser

How hard can it be to have voting directly at your building and not have the "I didn't get my ballot" and "my return address is wrong" BS that we hear about from all over the nation. When you get your check/stub vote and put it in a sealed box and then it can be shipped to tally place.

rpoz11

Finally decided I should share one story...

FT'er in my building, with 3 years to go, thought everything was ok; after hearing Andy M and our BA speak at the local meeting.

This FT'er nearly repeated what the BA stated; which was everything towards voting YES.
Asked what was said and how this person felt and was totally misinformed.

I then began to discuss why a YES or NO vote mattered.
After listening to me point out reasons why, this individual decided maybe their vote needed to be sent in.
This was June 19'th.

Too late.
This person thought that a postal dated envelope with a June 20'th date would be accepted.
This very same FT'er thought voting wasn't necessary as was being told by the BA that everything will be ok and that the proposal will pass.

I am appalled at our Union and the company playing on the ignorances of individuals.
The Union should've held responsible for misinforming or not informing its members!

texan

People can't be bothered to vote in elections that directly impact them but most can't wait to vote for the next American Idol or to vote the next contestant off the island on Survivor.
You speak truth in many facets.

That is how our current Senate, and President was elected.

So sad.............. May my children, and grandchildren survive and do well in the upcoming
mayhem and failure of all of this, and have Grace to discern the many voices of those
that are totally decieved, and NOT follow the voice of, and thoughts of stupidty.

Harry Reed, Nancy Pelosi, the current administration, The Rinos, John McCain, the main steam media....

So sad....

bbsam

Staff member
Lol. Texan, you're a decent guy, but this "Debbie Downer" kick you've been on is a little much. You may yet find yourself swimming in a bitter pool of "Jonah's Justice".

texan

Lol. Texan, you're a decent guy, but this "Debbie Downer" kick you've been on is a little much. You may yet find yourself swimming in a bitter pool of "Jonah's Justice".
I try and remain positive, but I am wearing down.

I need to go to the mountains, with my Bible alone and seek HIM.

bbsam

Staff member
Jonah's Justice. I don't even know if that is a real term. I made it up...i think. Just don't despair when the Creator decides to continue to show mercy rather than the retribution we deserve. Rejoice in His mercy, and dance in His Grace for no generation has ever been worthy.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Finally decided I should share one story...

FT'er in my building, with 3 years to go, thought everything was ok; after hearing Andy M and our BA speak at the local meeting.

This FT'er nearly repeated what the BA stated; which was everything towards voting YES.
Asked what was said and how this person felt and was totally misinformed.

I then began to discuss why a YES or NO vote mattered.
After listening to me point out reasons why, this individual decided maybe their vote needed to be sent in.
This was June 19'th.

Too late.
This person thought that a postal dated envelope with a June 20'th date would be accepted.
This very same FT'er thought voting wasn't necessary as was being told by the BA that everything will be ok and that the proposal will pass.

I am appalled at our Union and the company playing on the ignorances of individuals.
The Union should've held responsible for misinforming or not informing its members!

I'm not an employee of UPS, I am not a Teamster member ... I knew the ballot had to be in on the 20th.
Can't fix stupid!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
People profile for a reason. I'm also PT, and I spoke with hundreds of PTers within my facility encouraging them to vote, but it was obvious most were more interested in LeBron James. If the number I'm hearing for my local is indeed accurate, if every PTer within my Preload voted, it would constitute 60% of my locals votes (and would also mean many voted YES, which is unlikely). The actual vote return was probably less than 5%. Absolutely pathetic.

And it's hard to convince me our union isn't strong when the average FT, performing menial work, will be earning $94,000/year with no-cost health & welfare benefits. That's beyond the average income of somebody with an M.B.A., and is absolutely baffling. What happened is that the PTers choose once again to not get involved, so the union was forced to design a contract the incumbent FTers would pass - using PTers to subsidize the FT wage yet again.

This post has bothered me all day so I have some criticisms

1) When a Part Timer profiles that a Full Time package driver's work is menial, I will take offense. We don't exactly deliver pizzas brother. Since the arrival of PAS/EDD, GPS, and Telematics, I can honestly say that not one driver would consider that 10 hour shift "MENIAL".
Before the digital depositories and public traded UPS stock, there were plenty of easy days and getting out early for drivers. Those days have gone the way of beepers, 1800 Collect commercials, and a MTV channel that still showed music videos.

2) Your mind has been poisoned by all the contract BS on this website. Full time UPSERS didn't subsidize part timers for a penny !!!! All full timers and part timers GOT THE SAME RAISE, ON THE SAME DAY, FOR THE SAME AMOUNT OF YEARS.
Current full timers didn't get more than every one else. PERIOD
Progression grew by a year but now no more outside hires, just more fellow Teamsters delivering which is a good thing

3) When you leave high school and walk into the real world, you have 3 choices A) go to school 4 years plus with student loans to get a degree then try to find a high paying job B) find a trade (electrician, carpenter, UPS), join the Union and get hands-on experience and a career or C) Join the School of Hard Knocks and hope to make it
My benefit package is fantastic but I know a lot of tradesman that make pretty close to my Top Rate. Nothing baffling about it !!!

Last edited:

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Kinda hard to make that argument when most of the "battleground" states had record voter turnout of 70% or more. :). We may not have liked who they voted for, but at least they voted. Given the significantly fewer votes vs. 2007, it's likely the turnout was less than the 39% IBT predicted. I may not agree with the reason people voted yes, and I may not agree with the reasons other people voted no... but if they voted, I would've respected their votes. But to have 1-in-3 Teamsters vote is outright pathetic.

You speak truth in many facets.

That is how our current Senate, and President was elected.<snip>

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
This post has bothered me all day so I have some criticisms 1) When a Part Timer profiles that a Full Time package driver's work is menial, I will take offense. We don't exactly deliver pizzas brother. Since the arrival of PAS/EDD, GPS, and Telematics, I can honestly say that not one driver would consider that 10 hour shift "MENIAL". Before the digital depositories and public traded UPS stock, there were plenty of easy days and getting out early for drivers. Those days have gone the way of beepers, 1800 Collect commercials, and a MTV channel that still showed music videos.

By definition, your job is menial; hence why tens of thousands of off-the-street seasonal hires are able to perform the same job as you (after a learning curve). ANY job is going to require some level of skill. At UPS, I'd argue that it's the corporate culture - not the job itself - that causes most people to fail. Not to mention that most Americans, even though capable of manual labor, prefer not to do it... why is why we hire people to mow out lawns and clean our homes. What separates me from the average driver is that I know that if I were to leave UPS today, I would not find another job paying anything close to $21/hour + no-cost health & welfare benefits for my current skill set. OTOH, many drivers are convinced that they could walk away from UPS and earn $32+ with no-cost health & welfare benefits. What's FedEx Ground hiring at again...?

2) Your mind has been poisoned by all the contract BS on this website. Full time UPSERS didn't subsidize part timers for a penny !!!! All full timers and part timers GOT THE SAME RAISE, ON THE SAME DAY, FOR THE SAME AMOUNT OF YEARS. Current full timers didn't get more than every one else. PERIOD Progression grew by a year but now no more outside hires, just more fellow Teamsters delivering which is a good thing

In a union shop that pays FT employees $32/hour, PT employees are starting below minimum wage in many areas. The new contract moves the bar just enough so that isn't so. The reality is that UPS isn't an endless pot of money -- there's only so much to go around, and the FTers continue to take more than their share (PTers can blame themselves for not voting). Hall has acknowledged that he felt PTers deserved a bigger piece of the pie, but made it clear that he needed to present a contract that would pass. PT wages are kept low, casual/temporary/seasonal/cover wages are kept low (and statement - you make the same regardless of how many years you've performed the work), the number of casual/temporary/seasonal/cover drivers has increased, the "free period" has increased, the wage progression has increased, etc. to keep FTers earning record wages. IN other words, these employee groups are subsidizing your wages.

3) When you leave high school and walk into the real world, you have 3 choices A) go to school 4 years plus with student loans to get a degree then try to find a high paying job B) find a trade (electrician, carpenter, UPS), join the Union and get hands-on experience and a career or C) Join the School of Hard Knocks and hope to make it My benefit package is fantastic but I know a lot of tradesman that make pretty close to my Top Rate. Nothing baffling about it !!!

I don't disagree with you at all here. But UPS is not a trade. A trade is a marketable skill (e.g. not menial work). If I were a plumber or electrician, I could work independently or shop my skills to the highest employer. But a delivery driver? Who else is paying $32+/hour with no-cost benefits? The average wage for a FT delivery driver, per the BLS, is in the $30K range -- about a third of what the average UPS driver will earn at the end of the new contract, and that doesn't even take into consideration benefits.

Nonetheless, I agree that after high-school, you have the option of attending college, acquiring a tradesman skill, joining the School of Hard Knocks or seeking a union job. But I'll also point out that it takes about 10 years in much of the country to go FT at UPS. Yes, I'm aware many incumbent FTers had to wait 5-10 years. And I'm aware they were earning $9/hour as well. But not in 2013. They were earning $8/hour when $1 bought a gallon of gas, not $4 as it is today. Not to mention that the average number of hours PTer work has plummeted, especially over the past 5 years. The reality is that in 2013, if you're a PTer hoping to go FT, you have to start young, make even more scarifies than the previous generation, and delay your future (e.g. wait starting a family, etc.) Of course, it'll pay off. But it shouldn't be this way, and it doesn't have to be.

hyena

This post has bothered me all day so I have some criticisms

1) When a Part Timer profiles that a Full Time package driver's work is menial, I will take offense. We don't exactly deliver pizzas brother. Since the arrival of PAS/EDD, GPS, and Telematics, I can honestly say that not one driver would consider that 10 hour shift "MENIAL".
Before the digital depositories and public traded UPS stock, there were plenty of easy days and getting out early for drivers. Those days have gone the way of beepers, 1800 Collect commercials, and a MTV channel that still showed music videos.

2) Your mind has been poisoned by all the contract BS on this website. Full time UPSERS didn't subsidize part timers for a penny !!!! All full timers and part timers GOT THE SAME RAISE, ON THE SAME DAY, FOR THE SAME AMOUNT OF YEARS.
Current full timers didn't get more than every one else. PERIOD
Progression grew by a year but now no more outside hires, just more fellow Teamsters delivering which is a good thing

3) When you leave high school and walk into the real world, you have 3 choices A) go to school 4 years plus with student loans to get a degree then try to find a high paying job B) find a trade (electrician, carpenter, UPS), join the Union and get hands-on experience and a career or C) Join the School of Hard Knocks and hope to make it
My benefit package is fantastic but I know a lot of tradesman that make pretty close to my Top Rate. Nothing baffling about it !!!
No more outside hires? I mustve missed this.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Kinda hard to make that argument when most of the "battleground" states had record voter turnout of 70% or more. :). We may not have liked who they voted for, but at least they voted. Given the significantly fewer votes vs. 2007, it's likely the turnout was less than the 39% IBT predicted. I may not agree with the reason people voted yes, and I may not agree with the reasons other people voted no... but if they voted, I would've respected their votes. But to have 1-in-3 Teamsters vote is outright pathetic.

I think TOS and Hoffa Sux turned many people off and many didn't vote because of their bullying.

Actually it was both sides ... from what I have observed at UPS and on Brown Cafe, there is no discussion, just in-your-face demands to vote someone's way.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
You didn't miss it as it wasn't there. I don't know where Heff got this.

I was under the assumption that seasonal cover driving was to be rostered by only current part time employees.

I thought that was in the master contract discussion.

Just reread that area, it was in the New England Supplement and yes casual drivers can still work
Temporary cover drivers (current part timers) will be used BEFORE any casual driver is utilized
TCD's are paid by the driver progression scale and all time accrued counts toward the top rate scale

I apologize for the misinformation !!
Sorry UPSTATE and HYENA , thank you for helping me clarify :eggonface:

Last edited: