You smell…

All UPS employees should remember that "we have to do things 100% correctly 100% of the time AND not waste a single second." Anything short of this may well result in being fired. And, no, I am not being sarcastic or exagerrating.
In your case, just shower immediately prior to work, wear antiperspirant and wear clean clothes. I sweat like a pig at my driving job.
If you want to keep your job, never call in sick unless you have a doctor's note, never be late unless you have a tow receipt or copy of your accident report, spend all day every day working precisely as the methods dictated and take all breaks at the right time. Drive legally, park legally, etc.
Oh, and don't use illegal drugs on the weekend! We had two veterans fired today for testing positive for marijuana. I had specifically advised the one driver to only use alcohol if he must inebriate himself. Personally, I feel that the workplace is now safer with the resulting decrease in drugs.
Today, I was threatened to be fired for taking my lunch late in order to make service on several Next Day Airs (I had started the day as a full time AM clerk and I got sent out to do half of our steward's route while he witnessed the drug testing).
What I should have done is taken my lunch at the correct time and called in with the NDA crisis. Live and learn...

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
All UPS employees should remember that "we have to do things 100% correctly 100% of the time AND not waste a single second." Anything short of this may well result in being fired. And, no, I am not being sarcastic or exagerrating.
In your case, just shower immediately prior to work, wear antiperspirant and wear clean clothes. I sweat like a pig at my driving job.
If you want to keep your job, never call in sick unless you have a doctor's note, never be late unless you have a tow receipt or copy of your accident report, spend all day every day working precisely as the methods dictated and take all breaks at the right time. Drive legally, park legally, etc.
Oh, and don't use illegal drugs on the weekend! We had two veterans fired today for testing positive for marijuana. I had specifically advised the one driver to only use alcohol if he must inebriate himself. Personally, I feel that the workplace is now safer with the resulting decrease in drugs.
Today, I was threatened to be fired for taking my lunch late in order to make service on several Next Day Airs (I had started the day as a full time AM clerk and I got sent out to do half of our steward's route while he witnessed the drug testing).
What I should have done is taken my lunch at the correct time and called in with the NDA crisis. Live and learn...

Welcome to the Brown Cafe.
That was a stretch including this in this thread ... perhaps being new to BC you do not know how to start a new thread. (It is not very evident.)
This is how:
Click on the Forum tab
Then click on the Forum you want to post in (such as UPS Discussions)
You will see the forum with all the threads in it and you will also see a button titled "Post New Thread" up close to the top - click on that.
From there it is self-explanatory.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Orly, talk to your steward. After you get done working. Get a second opinion.
You can really get to your sup, eat garlic.

No Offense.

1. Clothing: Do not wear the same clothes you worked with on the previous day.

2. Gloves: Wash Gloves with Laundry at least once a week.

3.Bathe thoroughly prior to going to work everyday.

4. Deodorant! The cheap kind will always hurt you. Try DEGREE SPORT!

5. Carry your deodorant with you. Use every hour.

6. More than likely. Your fellow workers complained about your bodily odor. It's the only reason why a manager/supervisor was called upon to bring it to your attention.

7. Hygiene. Hygiene. Hygiene.

8. Just being honest and real regardless of your excuse. Ever hailed a cab in NYC and wondered why it smelled bad? Hygiene Hygiene Hygiene.:sick:

Big Babooba

You may not have a personal hygiene issue. Some people have a body odor as a result of a medical condition. I would see a doctor.

22.34life

look if your manager is talking to you about this you must have a problem,yea we have a dirty nasty job but there is no reason a grown person should stink like some of the people i work with.they dont smell like sweat,they smell like a three day old dead dog.i wish my managers would talk to some of the stink bugs in my building.take a shower and that means everday,use a wash rag and lots of soap,use a good deoderant,wear clean cloths and this means everday.this is stuff that mommy should have taught you.

22.34life

start a new thread and stop highjacking sombody elses.

Nimnim

The Nim
[video=youtube;jSJQEl5vcAo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSJQEl5vcAo[/video]

Yeah, pretty much all the advice was already given.

dillweed

Orly, ask your family, friends and friendly co-workers about this. Be sincere and let them know this isn't about hurting your feelings, rather a personal request that could help you out in many ways. If no one else seems to notice, to hell with the super snout at work.

If someone does say that there's an odor, take Babooba's great advice of seeing your doctor. There are just folks who have a chemical reaction in their bodies that make this occur.

Years ago I had some intestine removed and ended up with the stinkiest gas imaginable. I just couldn't control it for months, until the intestines gathered themselves together again to work properly. My sister, a pharmacist, suggested chlorophyll tablets. Chlorophyll is a natural substance in plants and can cleanse the system of impurities. These are found in a drug store and are not expensive. They sure helped me survive the stinkies. But see, I had a medical condition which caused the entire problem. That's why you need to cough up the $10 copay and have your doctor help you find out if you have a medical condition that needs to be addressed. I'm rooting for ya, Orly. You're going through an embarrasing situation that probably has a simple fix.

NHDRVR

No Offense.

1. Clothing: Do not wear the same clothes you worked with on the previous day.

2. Gloves: Wash Gloves with Laundry at least once a week.

3.Bathe thoroughly prior to going to work everyday.

4. Deodorant! The cheap kind will always hurt you. Try DEGREE SPORT!

5. Carry your deodorant with you. Use every hour.

6. More than likely. Your fellow workers complained about your bodily odor. It's the only reason why a manager/supervisor was called upon to bring it to your attention.

7. Hygiene. Hygiene. Hygiene.

8. Just being honest and real regardless of your excuse. Ever hailed a cab in NYC and wondered why it smelled bad? Hygiene Hygiene Hygiene.:sick:

Degree Sport is the best... I always tell my wife to grab about 4 cans of the stuff when she hits the store since they usually have about 6 on the shelf at any one time. I don't know why that particular brand works so well but it works/lasts better than any other spray I have used. That, along with Gold Bond, makes for an easier summer day.

start a new thread and stop highjacking sombody elses.

The point I was trying to make is that the original poster could keep his job "by doing everything 100% correctly..." I elaborated as briefly as possible on why I say that.

I included the drug discharge info because I thought that would be of general interest or a warning to UPS employees who might try to risk it. Yes, that it unrelated to perspiration. I apologize.

Thanks for showing me how to post a thread. I might do so someday. Even if I knew how, though, I would have given my advice above in his thread so that our insulted coworker above could keep his job. Everybody smells at least a little.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Orly, Im glad your Mom and girlfriend are fine, and thats number one.
Any metabollic disorders can cause your perspiration to be very strong. My grandson has PKU, and his urine and sweat smell very strong, its not a laughing matter.
I also put Baking soda in with my laundry, it is much easier to take than Pine sol, and wont burn your skin. And it is very cheap.
If you have well water, sometimes when your clothes get wet, they just reak, and its from the minerals in the water you used to wash your clothes.
I also use baby powder or cornstarch, on my whole torso, especially when its hot to absorb odors, and keep my comfy. Hang in there.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Thanks Dillweed. You are the only other one that has suggested a second opinion outside of getting medical advice. Everyone is assuming that it is Orly that has a problem.

Start with the easy stuff Orly. Tooner is right, use baking soda. Ask friends and family for an honest opinion. Go from there.

Dark_Team_135

As a steward I have had to deal with this issue a few times. The cases I have had it is usually true that the person smells really bad when they first GET to work and it is all downhill from there. It seems like they haven't taken a shower in days and it literally makes you sick when you get into a trailer with them. There is a big difference between coming to work clean and sweating for 4 hours and this horrible smell...

One case was so bad that a B.A. had to talk with them and ask them to make sure they showered each day before they came to work. The company ended up having to put him in a job that was away from everyone because of the employees complaining. Another problem is that many part-timers come straight to work from another job were they may have already been sweating for 8 hours and have no time to shower. Even then, they don't smell like the "1 shower a week guys".

You smell??? that is little ridiculous to me....she should be more concerned with your overall safety picture and if you know or don't know your DOK question, yard control ...etc. etc... as well as your job performance of course. As long as u are working safely and ur attendance is good as as well as ur performance (misloads, mislaps, load quality, etc....) than I wouldn't be too concerned.