Young courier blows up vets numbers while on vacation....

DontThrowPackages

A vet courier came back from a two week vacations to find out his route ran over -1hr Friday. Turns out, the young floater decided not to drop to the next rte once he hit his max. Hypothetically, the floater would code his lunch everyday and proceed to take pictures, with his iphone, of the bar codes and addresses of 15-20 packages. Allegedly, the float then proceeded to deliver packages while on lunch and soon as lunch was over, he pulled over and minute by minuted POD the packages by scanning the pictures of the barcodes from his iphone with is scanner. We Allegedly found out of his practices through the grapevine. Vet courier got in face of young floater and now is waiting to see if his stops per hr go up and if they do, he's squealing like a hungry pig. Safe to say, young floater won't look so super in the future.
The new system can tell if a courier is doing minute by minute stops, I believe those stops will show up red on the screen? Man, crazy day.

vantexan

A vet courier came back from a two week vacations to find out his route ran over -1hr Friday. Turns out, the young floater decided not to drop to the next rte once he hit his max. Hypothetically, the floater would code his lunch everyday and proceed to take pictures, with his iphone, of the bar codes and addresses of 15-20 packages. Allegedly, the float then proceeded to deliver packages while on lunch and soon as lunch was over, he pulled over and minute by minuted POD the packages by scanning the pictures of the barcodes from his iphone with is scanner. We Allegedly found out of his practices through the grapevine. Vet courier got in face of young floater and now is waiting to see if his stops per hr go up and if they do, he's squealing like a hungry pig. Safe to say, young floater won't look so super in the future.
The new system can tell if a courier is doing minute by minute stops, I believe those stops will show up red on the screen? Man, crazy day.

Geez, what does young guy figure to accomplish by doing that? Is he under the impression he'll get a bigger raise? Trying to get into mgmt?

Ricochet1a

Geez, what does young guy figure to accomplish by doing that? Is he under the impression he'll get a bigger raise? Trying to get into mgmt?

There are a handful at every station that are just smart enough to figure out a way to artificially boost their numbers, but too stupid to realize that they are shooting themselves in the foot while doing so.

It is when stupid stuff like this becomes "institutionalized", that real problems happen.

I also found that many of the younger managers in Express fell into this same category - smart enough to figure out a way to boost their numbers, too stupid to realize that they are shooting themselves in the foot should they do so.

I also learned that Couriers that fell into this category (just smart enough to be really dangerous), did have a tendency to either go into management, or wanted to real bad.

SmithBarney

It takes six months of trends to change numbers typically.

It doesn't matter anyway coverage and swings typically crush the numbers of the RTE drivers.
Generally because they don't know the area, and don't know how much they can get done, they don't take chances
and work harder.
Now as for the falsification, that's just stupidity. Driving on break, just wait til you get in an accident FedEx will hang you out
to dry, while DOT rips you apart.

DontThrowPackages

There are a handful at every station that are just smart enough to figure out a way to artificially boost their numbers, but too stupid to realize that they are shooting themselves in the foot while doing so.

It is when stupid stuff like this becomes "institutionalized", that real problems happen.

I also found that many of the younger managers in Express fell into this same category - smart enough to figure out a way to boost their numbers, too stupid to realize that they are shooting themselves in the foot should they do so.

I also learned that Couriers that fell into this category (just smart enough to be really dangerous), did have a tendency to either go into management, or wanted to real bad.
Nailed it!

whenIgetthere

Can`t they tell that all those stops were stop completed at the same location?

Pretty sure GPS would tell that, but turning it on would kill the battery on the bricks even quicker than it dies now! It benefits Fedex, so I would say they would turn the other way until something negative happens (accident/injury), then the courier would be scr--ed!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Blatant falsification. Termination. This is what management wants you to do to create fake " productivity".

bbsam

Staff member
Blatant falsification. Termination. This is what management wants you to do to create fake " productivity".

I thought you said Express absolutely does not tolerate falsification, but now you say it is what they want.

whenIgetthere

I thought you said Express absolutely does not tolerate falsification, but now you say it is what they want.

MFE is right, management shows no toleration of falsification, BUT, only after a customer complaint or an accident! Until that happens, they know it happens and turn a blind eye to it, as it benefits their bottom line. My station has a split shift who is on his PM area more than an hour before LBT, picks up his on calls and processes them later. I know this because on many occassions while taking my break on the day route in that area, he always stopped by to talk to me, and I would take my break on that route from 1230-1330, his PM LBT was 1450, and the area is minimum 30 minutes from station. He gets away with it because he hasn't been involved in an accident, and customers haven't complained. His manager is completely aware of this, even jokes about it!!

bbsam

Staff member
I have no doubt that MFE is right, because it is what I said in another thread. At a local level it is "discouragedN with talk of "zero tolerance" but a blind eye is turned and problems swept under the rug until such an incident occurs when it can't be sidestepped.

STFXG

Here's my question. It takes a driver unfamiliar with my area over an hour longer than it takes me to get it done. Are you saying that a swing driver can climb in and get the route done jut as fast by skipping his breaks? He got it done faster? Maybe the vet should work a little harder rather than get shown up by someone with some ambition and hard work ethics...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here's my question. It takes a driver unfamiliar with my area over an hour longer than it takes me to get it done. Are you saying that a swing driver can climb in and get the route done jut as fast by skipping his breaks? He got it done faster? Maybe the vet should work a little harder rather than get shown up by someone with some ambition and hard work ethics...

If the cover driver was following all of the methods and not cutting corners I would 100% agree with you.

We have guys who do the same thing---they will pull the PAL labels on residential packages and sheet them while on lunch. We can also use what is called Find BC to do the same thing. Find BC allows us to sheet packages that will not scan. It can also be used to sheet packages away from the delivery point.

yepyep

New to board, and just wanted to add the point that there are people who just want off the clock as early as possible. They may not have any other motive than that. Especially younger guys. Not saying it's smart or right.

STFXG

Lol I got passed today by the express swing driver while I was going 63 in a 55 mph construction zone. Thought of this topic as he cruised by me...

bbsam

Staff member
Lol I got passed today by the express swing driver while I was going 63 in a 55 mph construction zone. Thought of this topic as he cruised by me...

WTF were you speeding in a construction zone for? I think you need to stop LOL'ing and read your schedule I.

STFXG

Haha I know. Auto dq. Lots of dummies around here. I was in the slow lane getting passed by everyone. And I only noticed it cause I was on cruise control and looked down when he passed me. My fault for not seeing it earlier.