Young Drivers

diesel96

fredless said:
At times, I don't know what I've got myself into because it seems the biggest cry babies are those that are 20+ years older than me and like to cry to me about trivial horsecrap that contractually, I can do nothing for. I.E. "I'm an old man, my back hurts so therefore I need to go home early not some kid." Sorry man, that kid has seniority. Old man - "thats bullcrap i dont get no respect!"

I can speak for me and other 20plus yr drivers in my center would never consult a twenty something yr old green behind the ear youngster for any advice or consultation.(except for Bittany Spears or Paris Hilton news)
I do agree with your advise for VT though.

VTBrown said:
I don't try to make anyone look bad.....but I'm not going to STEAL time due to me being more efficient then the bid driver. Worrying about his feelings.

The difference is interupting the customer's expectations by altering the bid driver's set routine. Your only making the Company look bad.

The fact of the matter is....you "Old Timers" worked for a different beast. We work for a publicly traded company worrying about it's stock holders.

Some of us so called "old timers" have more stocks than you weigh...and then some. So as a stockholder myself you work for "me" also. Thats right, you can be in the Union and buy stocks FYI.

First of all....you all seem to think the only way to burn a route up is by running.
I'm a 275lbs offensive lineman who still plays semi-pro football. Trust me....I'm very athletic but I am not running through out the day. :rolleyes: My bulk head is closed and I don't drive unsafely.

My kids are worth it to me. You ask them years down the road what was more important..me screwing the company by going slow or spending an extra hour with them every other day or so.

Obviously, your not running fast enough at that weight, and if you kids are worth it why are you jepordizing your health and well-being playing football? It only takes one cut block or someone to roll up the back of your legs and snap. Hope you wear a knee brace. Maybe you should take up a safer sport like Mens Senior/Federal Baseball League such as myself.

dirtymoose said:
l
ike i said before, it doesn't make anyone an idiot, to some people the time is more important than money is.
as far as paying homage, please dont even go there, do you think that guy who has been around for 23 years and takes 20 stops off his route every morning and throws them on my split car cares about homage. please spare me the bs.

Why do some of you guys generalize so much? Because you have problems with a senior driver or two you'all classify all of us as lazy and crybabies?
Should we start a thread on all the wussie cry baby newer drivers? There out there to, but why not judge people by individuality?

Fredless

APWA Hater
I can speak for me and other 20plus yr drivers in my center would never consult a twenty something yr old green behind the ear youngster for any advice or consultation.(except for Bittany Spears or Paris Hilton news)
I do agree with your advise for VT though.

The topic was youngsters not caring about the union. I do, and there are quite a few in my hub who do as well...more so than the old timers. I would not come to you, or any other 20+ year driver for part time language advice either, along with spelling or computer useage advice.

Now, if I wanted to know what it was like to deliver boxes for my career, yes, I would come to you.

Why do some of you guys generalize so much? Because you have problems with a senior driver or two you'all classify all of us as lazy and crybabies?

Pot calling the kettle black on the generalization statement. You generalized me on not knowing crap because "I'm green" and all I care about is Paris Hilton. I guess thats why I've been told I take better notes, write better grievances, and know the contract better than the steward before me who has been at UPS for 10+ years, right?

Isn't it the old timers with 20+ years of experience negotiating our contracts and sending us all down the river? Oh wait, just because you have seniority means that you know way more about the contract than I do, or ever will right? Just because of my age determines my lack of reading comprehension and the ability to think critically and apply it?

Ignorant hypocrite.

xkingx

fredless said:
The difference is interupting the customer's expectations by altering the bid driver's set routine. Your only making the Company look bad.

unless of course the bid driver just sucks at his route..Then again that drivers customer would already know that..

~~sorry screwed the quote up~~

wait until the knees start talking 2 these guys..Ihave a family at home too, but Im not burning anything up just 2 get home a few hours earlier..I knew the hours when I signed the bid list...They(mngmnt) get what I can safely give them...

Senior driver or not, how does one just throw 20stops of work onto your truck on their own? Add cut sure but I cant see it being done just because ones been there longer...that would be ones own fault for allowing that to happen..

Griff

First of all....you all seem to think the only way to burn a route up is by running.
I'm a 275lbs offensive lineman who still plays semi-pro football. Trust me....I'm very athletic but I am not running through out the day. :rolleyes: My bulk head is closed and I don't drive unsafely.

Don't even try to call me stupid because I'm fair to the company on my time. This job is extremely easy to me. After 4 years I cover 16 or so routes out of our building (rural) and use a map book for maybe on one or two for a couple roads.

My kids are worth it to me. You ask them years down the road what was more important..me screwing the company by going slow or spending an extra hour with them every other day or so.

Again.....it's not a DOT thing. It's a Union thing or was. They didn't want us working through it due to it taking work away from potentially another driver.

In all honesty if your too weak to stand up to management on the lunch thing thats your beef. The contract states when to take it. If you can't take it then because of your dispatch. You don't have to take it. Pretty plain and simple. It's on their shoulders to design and dispatch you so that you can take that hour at the correct time. Our business Agent has already confirmed this.

Time for you to understand.....there are always going to be people better at things then others. I'm not going to feel bad for someone because I can do it better.

No, it's time for you to understand that you can't snow a snowman. If you're "burning routes up" you are running and cutting corners, it's that simple. It has nothing to do with being better than someone else, although I can see you have an ego problem. I'm not too weak to stand up to anyone about anything. I have no reason to take any issue concerning lunch up with management because I take my lunch AND break everyday. I don't care if I have a 16 hour dispatch, I will be taking my full lunch hour and 10 minute break. I now see why you feel the need to be back in the building first, it's a game to you and you want to be the best.

VTBrown

It's not about ego at all. I am just that productive....plain and simple. As to screwing up a regular drivers routine? Please....I bend over for customers. I routinely wait for them to finish or even go back later if need be.

Griff....at some point you'll understand that corners do not need to be cut to burn up a route.

"Most" UPS drivers spend way too much time in the back of their trucks, dealing with their cigarettes or lingering way too long at a delivery/pick up location.
Not even figuring in the ones who stop at a store to buy a drink or such and do not take it as break time. Most of the times drivers don't even realize they are waisting time.

It's extremely easy to burn those routes up.
Am I supposed to go slow to appease the bid driver?

As to my weight and knee's? Please.....I'm an over weight lineman not a fat slob. Tore my MCL in the right knee 3 years ago, tore the miniscus, ACL and had a partially ruptured patella tendon fixed this past early summer in the same knee.

When the time comes that my knee can't take the punishment? I'll bid into Feeders or a 22.3.

DS

Fenderbender
It's not about ego at all. I am just that productive....plain and simple.
It's extremely easy to burn those routes up.
You are the package messiah.
When describing you ,pick the one word that doesn't fit-
efficient
athletic
productive
versatile
fatherly
honest
humble

maybe I should do a poll

upsgrunt

You are the package messiah.
When describing you ,pick the one word that doesn't fit-
efficient
athletic
productive
versatile
fatherly
honest
humble

maybe I should do a poll

I know, I know, I know

Pick me Pick me Pick me

M

Management

What it comes down for me is my time, i like to be in and out of that place as fast as can be, when top pay kicks in ill slow things down a b

YOU CHOSE THE RIGHT SENTENCE HERE......LOOK ABOVE. I HOPE YOU GUYS HAVE DIAD4 AND THE GPS ENABLED. I PERSONALLY HOPE YOU NEVER MAKE IT TO TOP PAY!

VTBrown

Doh......
I'm still here. I don't have this forum attached to an email I check. So when there is a lot of activity. I lose my posts.

Your thinking because I choose to work harder and perhaps a bit fairer then others, that I'll do someone else's work?

Please.

One thing you've all missed. I'm not losing money. I don't take my lunch 85% of the time. I'm still getting paid for that time. We start at 8:50am. Kind of nice if I'm punching out at 6pm with almost a 9.5 day.

I get home early to spend time with my kids.....
I'm not giving any money away.
UPS while may want me to take my lunch....isn't all that upset since my numbers clearly show me not taking advantage of them and stealing time.

It's a win win.

VTBrown

Simply stating that I have confidence in my work ability and my numbers showing it is not being egotistical.

While at FedEx in the Aspire program I quickly became aware of the fact that I would not make a good manager.

I speak my mind. I'm stubborn. I lead by example and would not delegate all that well. I also lack the ability to be able to look at someone and tell half truths and get that person to trust the info.

Far too much information given to us by Managers while not completely false are clouded and only partly true. Thats not me and I do call them on it in PCM's.

We all have faults....I'm happy knowing that I'm a type of person who will put full effort into any job I've had. Regardless of what others think. Obviously in the past in non-union shops I've been far better rewarded.

Though thats not going to change my work ethic.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
i thought this was a thread pertaining to younger drivers not caring about the union, not the Ricky Bobbys of UPS to gloat about how many packages they can deliver or burn a route up.

In our last locals meeting, we actually had more part timers show up than full timers. Was quite proud to see the turnout.

DS

Fenderbender
Good response.Maybe you realize now that we are not your enemy.A lot of us ,including me,are pkg car drivers that for the most part,are worked to the max.Its hard to steal time ,and if I pull off 20 stops its because I dont want a 12 hour day.

Fishbulb

i used to burn up routes for the 1st 2-3 years at UPS, punch in lunch on the road back from the route. Wanted to get home, go party & spend time with the woman. And who wants to eat dinner at 9 or 10pm? Now I realize its not worth it, I'd normally just spend that extra hour in traffic driving home so why not make the extra cash. I dont think the old timers had it as bad as most of them say they do but I definitely admire them for doing this job for so many years. I've hurt my back twice now & I'm only 30 so when I see these guys who have been driving 20+ years I'm in just in awe as to how they did it so long. Personally I think the company & the union have gone downhill in the past 4 years. 4 years ago I loved the job, great center manager, great shop steward & only a handful of guys were over 9/5. Then we got PAS & the company expects a lot more, 9/5 is out the window.

Pickups

Know Before You Go.
So we have it easy now because of you guys?

Then WHY oh WHY are all you old timers bitching about how hard the job is or how much they demand out of us NOW?

If it was SO much different years ago and was a harder environment to deal with.....why the complaining now? It should be all roses with us reaping the benefits. Yes? No?

Seems to me.....it's all about how you look at it. We do less miles and more stops and handle more packages then you guys did YEARS ago. Sure you had your beefs....the beefs may be different but there are still beefs today.

My family comes first.....I burn routes up so I can get home to spend time with my kids. I used to run lunches to do so. Trust me if I was coming in early from burning a lunch and they asked me to do more......sure right after I sit here for an hour on BREAK.

Now they have to pay us for all time we are on the clock.....so running a lunch doesn't change much other then I GET that hour of pay.

well put! many older drivers on this site that think us unger guys have it made somehow.

Pickups

Know Before You Go.
Gee guy do you read this board much? It's pretty much ONLY a bitch session about something.

Hate to tell you.....I was a FedEx courier for almost 4 years before coming here, a highly regarded one at that.

As to making an "old timer" look bad? Please. The one's that follow the methods can not have their routes destroyed by a young gun. My determination to work harder MAY gain me 20 to 30 minutes over the day of a proper "old timer". NO ONE from management is going to question one of those drivers.

Though when you have other "old timers" running almost 2.5 to 3 over and EVERY cover driver runs .5 to 1 over on the same route.......you've got a problem there.

I don't try to make anyone look bad.....but I'm not going to STEAL time due to me being more efficient then the bid driver. Worrying about his feelings.

The fact of the matter is....you "Old Timers" worked for a different beast. We work for a publicly traded company worrying about it's stock holders.

While YOU may have waged a war on some fronts in the past, we are benefiting from. WE OURSELVES are waging another war that FUTURE drivers will be benefiting from.

It's all the same.....the original poster talked as if UPS was a far worse place to be back then. Though if you read into this board much at all.....it seems like people STILL only complain about the Company.

So has nothing changed?

i like you. hahah...

guzzi71

Can do it when I get around to it.
I love guys like VTBrown. Because the more he does the less I have to do.:biggrin:

Hit the nail right on the head, Monday it's 30 stops and I may have some pick-up problems as well. You may have to take them in for me. It's all about seniority and as long as your here I will always have more.VT see you at the ER.:wink:

VTBrown

Hit the nail right on the head, Monday it's 30 stops and I may have some pick-up problems as well. You may have to take them in for me. It's all about seniority and as long as your here I will always have more.VT see you at the ER.:wink:

Duh.......I don't do it unless they have an 8 request in. Problem finishing? I have no problem grabbing your air and you staying out - as happens 95% of the time.

So kudos!

VTBrown

You should also REREAD the contract if you have so much more seniority then me.

Seniority doesn't give you the right to refuse your own work. It gives you the right to take extra work or deny it as long as some one with less/more is present at the same time.

Why your guys panties are all in a bunch because some one actually performs at his job :rolleyes: