Your biggest payday?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Re: Your smallest payday?

No. I do not take things seriously on here like you folks do. It was an attempt at humor but you thought the contrary. Oh well. By the way, Upstate gets everything he deserves. I will never follow the posting code that others have around here.
I picture the Brown Cafe like this. People sitting around at a coffee bar talking and having a good time. Issues are discussed, knowledge is shared. In the middle of this you walk up to a guy named Dave and wallop him in the head with a wiffle ball bat and say, knowitall, and walk away as quickly as you came. It's the internet, it's supposed to be fun and enlightening. If you're not having fun or being enlightened, what's the point? JMHO, as always.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Just yesterday I bought a King size one.....ooohhhh...love that caramel and crunchy peanuts..oh wait...this is not about the Payday candy bar?

TheTakeOver

my biggest paycheck has been $88.92

....ive been working as a unloader p/t for about a month.. =(

Those are painful. I have a 25 minute drive one-way to my hub. Between gas and necessities, I was just basically paying to work for my first few months.

Get through it, it gets a little better.

satellitedriver

Last week.
I got my paycheck today.
$1,700.00 gross and I only worked 4 days last week.
I used a sick option day last Friday, because I was sick.
After being in the bathroom since 3:30am, I called my sup at 6:00am to inform him that I was too drained to work.(btw, this was only the third time I have called in sick, in 23yrs.)
He just said I have to tell the center manager and that he will be in at 7:00am and hung up on me.
No, hello, goodbye or kiss off.
Never have I been treated this way at UPS for the last 23yrs.
I called back and the center manager was cool about it-(honestly, I was expecting some resistance).
So, my new improved attitude will match theirs. They wish to save a dime, to lose a dollar, and I will use Liberace's famous quote about "laughing all the way to the bank."
It is what they make it.

satellitedriver

Bonuses get taxed at 48%.

You need to get another tax accountant ,or do your own homework.
Bonus is treated the same as earned income.
The effective tax rate on $100,000.00 income, using the simple W-40 form, is about 14% for a married filling jointly. Single status filling, on the same amount of income, is around 20%.
Effective tax rate is the key.
Taxes are based on a sliding scale keyed to income levels.
There is no 48% tax rate in the IRS code. Decades ago, yes.
I truly hope that you make more than$100,000.00 a year .
I will gladly do your taxes,for a minor percentage, and still save you 20%.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
Its ironic that in a deep recession, I am making the most money that I have ever made at UPS in my 20 year career. I got my biggest check last week. I brought home 1350$ Whats your biggest payday?

We're in a recession? Sweet Jesus! Up here we're the busiest we've ever been.

ocnewguy

$132.59

The union forgot to take out the initiation for a few weeks...heh. Funny how all my friends say, "WOW you work at UPS! You must be making some serious dough!". And i just cry a little inside.

tre305

Last year peak season, I was triple shifting (preload, jumping and reload) brought home $980 from one weeks worth of work.

Barry Gaines

You need to get another tax accountant ,or do your own homework.
Bonus is treated the same as earned income.
The effective tax rate on $100,000.00 income, using the simple W-40 form, is about 14% for a married filling jointly. Single status filling, on the same amount of income, is around 20%.
Effective tax rate is the key.
Taxes are based on a sliding scale keyed to income levels.
There is no 48% tax rate in the IRS code. Decades ago, yes.
I truly hope that you make more than$100,000.00 a year .
I will gladly do your taxes,for a minor percentage, and still save you 20%.

Bonuses don't get taxed at 48% but they are not treated the same as earned income. Its up to the employer which method they use. Aggregate or percentage.

Bonus Time: How Bonuses Are Taxed and Treated by the IRS

Employers love supplementing wage and salary income with bonuses. It’s an excellent way to reward top performers and motivate employees to do more than the bare minimum. Yet bonuses can quickly change one’s tax return depending on the size of the payout, the pertinent IRS guidelines, and how employers choose to handle it. Are bonuses treated as regular income, or singled out for special tax treatment? Are some types of bonuses more favorable than others? And are there any ways to minimize the tax impact of getting a bonus? These questions are explored below:
Bonuses Are Considered “Supplemental Wages”

Bonus Taxes
If you read the tax code, you will notice that the Internal Revenue Service goes to great lengths to categorize different types of income and treat them differently. Bonuses are another example of this. In the eyes of the IRS, bonuses are typically categorized as “supplemental wages.”
“The IRS defines supplemental wages as compensation paid in addition to the employee’s regular wages that includes, but is not limited to, severance or dismissal pay, vacation pay, back pay, bonuses, moving expenses, overtime, taxable fringe benefits, and commissions.”​
As such, bonuses (like other supplemental wages) are treated differently than ordinary wage or salary income. There are two ways of taxing bonuses: the percentage method and the aggregate method. Which method gets applied to your bonus? Let’s find out. The Percentage Method

The IRS specifies a flat “supplemental rate” of 25%, meaning that any supplemental wages (including bonuses) should be taxed in that amount. If you receive a $5,000 bonus, under this rule, $1,250 (25% of $5,000) goes straight to the IRS. Using this approach, the amount of your bonus – whatever it is – is “singled out” from the rest of your income and taxed directly. Employers frequently choose the percentage method because it’s easy and mindless to tax the entire bonus at a uniform rate. In most cases, this is ideal from your standpoint as the bonus receiver and taxpayer, too. The aggregate method (described below), in addition to being more time-consuming and laborious for employers, can take a bigger tax bite out of your bonus payments
Unlike the much simpler percentage method, the aggregate method is when your employer adds the amount of your bonus (say, $5,000) to your most recent regular paycheck. Then, they determine the normal withholding amount based on IRS withholding tables for the sum of both amounts, subtract what was already withheld from your last paycheck, and withhold the rest from the bonus amount. The problem with this approach is that instead of being taxed at a flat 25% – and having that 25% rate apply only to the bonus amount – you get taxed at what is almost certainly a higher rate on the combined amount of your normal pay and the bonus. The result: a higher overall tax obligation for the same amount of income.

L

Loufan

My paycheck i got thursday was my biggest one outside of peak season but a little less than half of my biggest check at UPS This year i'm also doubling my average of my first year which is awesome. It's nice to see my time at UPS finally paying off & I am really excited for this peak season.

brown_trousers

surprisingly my biggest payday was as a part-timer. A shortage of ground drivers that week led to many ground driving opportunities, which as a part-timer is very profitable as they have to pay you top driver wage for any and all hours worked that day. I almost maxed out my DOT 60 hours by thursday from working 14 hour days... all at top driver wage. Working from 6am doing EAM delivery and finishing at 8pm inside on the twilight, the whole day with only a half hour lunch. Then finished the week, including saturday, doing inside work. Can't remember the exact amount, but my gross pay was just over $2000 for the week.

I did however recieve a DOT violation that week... so maybe thats cheating :raspberry-tounge:

brown_trousers

Bonuses don't get taxed at 48% but they are not treated the same as earned income. Its up to the employer which method they use. Aggregate or percentage.

Bonus Time: How Bonuses Are Taxed and Treated by the IRS

Employers love supplementing wage and salary income with bonuses. It’s an excellent way to reward top performers and motivate employees to do more than the bare minimum. Yet bonuses can quickly change one’s tax return depending on the size of the payout, the pertinent IRS guidelines, and how employers choose to handle it. Are bonuses treated as regular income, or singled out for special tax treatment? Are some types of bonuses more favorable than others? And are there any ways to minimize the tax impact of getting a bonus? These questions are explored below:
Bonuses Are Considered “Supplemental Wages”

Bonus Taxes
If you read the tax code, you will notice that the Internal Revenue Service goes to great lengths to categorize different types of income and treat them differently. Bonuses are another example of this. In the eyes of the IRS, bonuses are typically categorized as “supplemental wages.”
“The IRS defines supplemental wages as compensation paid in addition to the employee’s regular wages that includes, but is not limited to, severance or dismissal pay, vacation pay, back pay, bonuses, moving expenses, overtime, taxable fringe benefits, and commissions.”​
As such, bonuses (like other supplemental wages) are treated differently than ordinary wage or salary income. There are two ways of taxing bonuses: the percentage method and the aggregate method. Which method gets applied to your bonus? Let’s find out. The Percentage Method

The IRS specifies a flat “supplemental rate” of 25%, meaning that any supplemental wages (including bonuses) should be taxed in that amount. If you receive a $5,000 bonus, under this rule, $1,250 (25% of $5,000) goes straight to the IRS. Using this approach, the amount of your bonus – whatever it is – is “singled out” from the rest of your income and taxed directly. Employers frequently choose the percentage method because it’s easy and mindless to tax the entire bonus at a uniform rate. In most cases, this is ideal from your standpoint as the bonus receiver and taxpayer, too. The aggregate method (described below), in addition to being more time-consuming and laborious for employers, can take a bigger tax bite out of your bonus payments
Unlike the much simpler percentage method, the aggregate method is when your employer adds the amount of your bonus (say, $5,000) to your most recent regular paycheck. Then, they determine the normal withholding amount based on IRS withholding tables for the sum of both amounts, subtract what was already withheld from your last paycheck, and withhold the rest from the bonus amount. The problem with this approach is that instead of being taxed at a flat 25% – and having that 25% rate apply only to the bonus amount – you get taxed at what is almost certainly a higher rate on the combined amount of your normal pay and the bonus. The result: a higher overall tax obligation for the same amount of income.

I have noticed more tax with-holdings when recieving a check for bonuses or vacation payouts. But at the end of the year, all those bonuses and vacation payouts are calculated on my 1040 lumped in with the rest of my income, and therefor subject to the same tax rate as my normal income. So where does this extra tax-rate come into play?