Your former life...

BrownTexas

No bonus in my center. The only bonus you will see is if you work more than 10 hrs they pay you an extra 20 minutes...

If I didn't have those 3 pick ups I would have been done with my lunch at 4:15 and would have been back to the building and punched out at 4:40. But I would have been getting paid till 5:50. As I'm guaranteed 8hrs.
I would give my left testicle to have a before 9am start time.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
This might have been discussed in another thread but I couldn't find it so starting it over. In my former life, I was a police officer for 15 years now I'm doing this. Most people who are in law enforcement / para-law enforcement, military are a type "A" personality. I am not going to articulate anymore but, I most definitely am a type A personality

I find that most, not all, of the people who work the front lines at brown (loaders, pre-loaders, and drivers) are of the type A personality.

I too was a police officer, but I'm a bit of an anomaly. I have characteristics of both A & B. I'm competitive at times, but very relaxed at others. I sometimes have a sense of urgency when working and sometimes I coast through the day. I'm hostile when provoked, aggressive or rather assertive when I need to be, but I'm also one who wants to talk about problems and conflicts and get them resolved and behind me. I often express my feelings.

I'm a take charge authoritative kind of guy who tends to end up leading things even if I don't try to, but I'm also perfectly fine being lead by another as long as that person is smarter than me or has a better plan (rare at UPS).

I'm very organized when it comes to my truck. Everything needs to be in the place I've designated for it--air pickups need to be in their spot, high values, ground pickups, etc. When things can't be the way I plan them to be I find myself getting irritable. I'm the opposite for most things outside of work. My car can go a couple of weeks of things being all out of place and sometimes even some trash on the floor. When I was a bachelor my house was usually a mess, however everything had a place in the cupboards and if something was out of place, I'd get annoyed. This carried over to married life. My wife will sometimes put plastic cups on the shelf with the glasses and I have to move them. Touch of OCD maybe?

So, as you can see, I don't really fit into either box.

Last edited:

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I was high school to flight school would have been one of the youngest Army Helicopter pilots but broke my Jaw a week after graduating high school so have to wait 8 months longer before I could go to boot camp instead of being 18 I was 19 when I go my wings...

After the Army I was a ski instructor for a while. Then I decided to go to college got a BS in Human Factor and Psychology From ERAU. I grated 2 months after 9-11 not a lot of jobs at that time so I went to work in a paper mill till it closed then worked in another paper mill till it also closed. Then started working PT at ups while working another FT job 4 10 hour days.

No I just push cardboard for a living. Friday I did 223 stops in 6 hrs then took my lunch and then sat around for another 2 hours after lunch getting paid waiting to do three pickups ( a LTR box, UPS store and real estate office ). Which after I did and drove back to the building I ended up with 1 hour of OT... No that what I'm talking about.

I remember when all the mills closed in Greenfield /Deerfield and Holyoke...that was tough for alot of folks who also did that type of work. Hope things are better back home now

MethodsMan

I did security at rock and roll concerts. Some landscaping at an old folks home. Started at UPS at 20 though. Had to bide my time before I could become a box jockey.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Went to college right out of high school. Didn't apply myself. Dropped out and joined the Air Force. Served 8 years. Decided not to re-enlist, moved back home and was fortunate to be hired by UPS as an off the street driver. 5 years left until I am eligible to retire.

oldngray

nowhere special
TTT-Tired-01.png

oldupsman

Went to college right out of high school. Completed 4 years on time and got my B.S. in Secondary
Education. Was going to teach high school history. Couldn't find a teaching job so I worked
construction for awhile. Sitting around with a buddy one night drinking shots of Wild Turkey and drinking
Schlitz. He was working for this small trucking company called UPS. Remember, this was 1975. UPS was in
only 15 states. He needed some drivers for Christmas. Yeah sure. I got nothing better going.
Behind the wheel of a package car from day 1. Stayed 32 years. Go figure.