Your random UPS stories

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Just so You do not kill this thread too...

I have a embalming/creamatorium bussiness on my route. Been there a million times. When you come in the front door there are two choices. Strait ahead is a family sitting area, very nicely furnished and decorated room. If you go to the right your in the bussines office, this is where I would normally go, but on this day no one was in the office. I peeked into the family area and no one was in there either. There is a door on the other end of the family area, so I walk thru there and open it, as I continued to walk thru and yell out UPS, I turn to my right and there is 3 bodies lying there on gurnies. All 3 uncovered and stiff as boards. I have never moved so fast in my life getting the he** out of there!!!

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

I have a embalming/creamatorium bussiness on my route. Been there a million times. When you come in the front door there are two choices. Strait ahead is a family sitting area, very nicely furnished and decorated room. If you go to the right your in the bussines office, this is where I would normally go, but on this day no one was in the office. I peeked into the family area and no one was in there either. There is a door on the other end of the family area, so I walk thru there and open it, as I continued to walk thru and yell out UPS, I turn to my right and there is 3 bodies lying there on gurnies. All 3 uncovered and stiff as boards. I have never moved so fast in my life getting the he** out of there!!!

Years ago, last stop of the day. Small COD pkg. going to a residence. Lady came to the door and I said "I have a COD delivery for XX dollars, Do you want to get it?" She says " I reckon... That's my husband." Quite surprised I look at the return address and see it's from a mortuary. OMG She goes back into the house and takes forever to write a check while I'm thinking about the indignity of her having him shipped COD. She returns, hands me the check and I hand her the package. She starts laughing and I suppose the puzzled look on my face caused her to utter " He sho' is light". Saying nothing more I hurried back to the truck. THE END

Oh I know that feeling, all too well!

People ship some weird things threw us. I recall one time I came up to a package on the line. I was reach up for it and quickly withdrew my attempt and became shocked, just for a moment. I believe it was due to the fact reaching for the hand holes made in the box. Which looking in on to the contents, had teeth. I soon realized that it was a box full of taxidermy alligator heads. Oh that creepy feeling…

I‘ve also loaded one time, a bag with some strange materials into a car. I looked at the sent from and delivery address. Come to found out it was bound to a funeral home, that these blankets were to be the padding inside a coffin. Oh that creepy creepy feeling…

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...

Why is it that the strangest incidents always happens in these kind of places and mortuary's. I had an OCA for an ARS pkg at this musty smelling (embalming fluid, no doubt) and oldest funeral home in our state.

I announced myself and had no answer. Even though we're not supposed to go downstairs, I did. Still no-one around. I go back upstairs and into the viewing room. I see the package sitting on a table. This time, there is someone around but he happens to be a corpse lying on a table apparently in the process of being prepped.

I had to try not to look at the undressed body but pkg was literally a few feet away from his head (thank God they had a sheet on his lower half!). The fact that a dead body, the smell, that spooky music made this simple pick up one of sheer horror.

I had to take a few seconds to compose myself when I got back to the truck.

Big Babooba

My friend's younger brother was killed in the October 1983 bombing of the US Marine barracks in Beirut. I was working the preload shift around Christmas. I was loading the car that delivered to his parent's house. They got three boxes that day labeled - "Personal effects of Lance Corporal ****** *********." It was the worst day in my UPS career.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
My friend's younger brother was killed in the October 1983 bombing of the US Marine barracks in Beirut. I was working the preload shift around Christmas. I was loading the car that delivered to his parent's house. They got three boxes that day labeled - "Personal effects of Lance Corporal ****** *********." It was the worst day in my UPS career.

Omg thats horrible!

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Why is it that the strangest incidents always happens in these kind of places and mortuary's. I had an OCA for an ARS pkg at this musty smelling (embalming fluid, no doubt) and oldest funeral home in our state.

I announced myself and had no answer. Even though we're not supposed to go downstairs, I did. Still no-one around. I go back upstairs and into the viewing room. I see the package sitting on a table. This time, there is someone around but he happens to be a corpse lying on a table apparently in the process of being prepped.

I had to try not to look at the undressed body but pkg was literally a few feet away from his head (thank God they had a sheet on his lower half!). The fact that a dead body, the smell, that spooky music made this simple pick up one of sheer horror.

I had to take a few seconds to compose myself when I got back to the truck.

Wow, im sure a lot of people share the creepy story at UPS. That one and the other were totally were out there.

Thanks for sharing!

And thanks to Babooba, the thread just got deep.

EmerCond421

About 10 years or so ago a helper and I were delivering a piece of exercise equipment (a recumbent bicycle) to a home. Managed to get package up a narrow flight of stairs and knocked on door. A woman answered - she wasn't small by any means - and said

"What's this? Oh great, another piece of exercise equipment! Why doesn't my husband find a cute blonde, and leave me the hell alone!

We got a good laugh out of that one.

Raw

Raw Member
AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA AHHAHAHAHAHAHAH *wipes tear* that was good.

Today my helper and I were well into our resis when all of a sudden we hear a noise. I thought it was a toy in a box much like a few days ago. Wel,l we move on. Next stop we hear it again only this time it is identifiable as a voice. Someone saying hello actually. So we sit and we hear it again. "HELLO. HELLO." I realize it is coming from his pocket. Its his cell phone. So he takes it out and he had butt dialed someone. That someone turned out to be 911. So she asks if he is ok and he answers, "It's a little cold but I am ok." I start laughing. Not that dialing 911 by accident is funny but that his response was so crazy. She asks where we are just to check the tracking software they use. I guess she figures since she got a freebie she might use it. Turns out she asks because she thought it was broken because we were moving around so fast.
He had 911 on speed dial? WEIRDORAMA!!!!

whiskey

About 10 years or so ago a helper and I were delivering a piece of exercise equipment (a recumbent bicycle) to a home. Managed to get package up a narrow flight of stairs and knocked on door. A woman answered - she wasn't small by any means - and said

"What's this? Oh great, another piece of exercise equipment! Why doesn't my husband find a cute blonde, and leave me the hell alone!

We got a good laugh out of that one.
One day I had a really heavy head cold and sneezed in a hallway on my way to make a business delivery. It felt like quite a bit of snot exited by nose. I stopped and checked my sleeve and the side of my body and then the carpeted hallway. But no snot could be found. It was perplexing and I doubled back for a second investigation. Still no large snot debris. I gave up, entered the business and had the receptionist sign for the package. She had a strange look on her face and used the very end of the stylus to sign the DIAD. That was weird, I thought. But then, out in the hall, when I went to clarify her signature, guess what I found strewn across the entire signature field?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
One day I had a really heavy head cold and sneezed in a hallway on my way to make a business delivery. It felt like quite a bit of snot exited by nose. I stopped and checked my sleeve and the side of my body and then the carpeted hallway. But no snot could be found. It was perplexing and I doubled back for a second investigation. Still no large snot debris. I gave up, entered the business and had the receptionist sign for the package. She had a strange look on her face and used the very end of the stylus to sign the DIAD. That was weird, I thought. But then, out in the hall, when I went to clarify her signature, guess what I found strewn across the entire signature field?

Gwoss!

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
New year’s week, my week of hysteria!

I like signing up for the opinion work days. Sure, it might be a couple of hours, but “usually” they are quite easy going. Alike last year, I only got three and four package cars to load and light packages. It was more like free paid day no stress no fuss and no muss. *sigh*

I like that I started this thread. I can hear a story in a couple of days and report it here. I can also fill in some experiences that happen to me weekly or in a day. Well, as you can see I’m filling in for this past week.

I signed up on Friday to work about 2-3 hours on Monday. I came in hoping it would be boxline driven (which it was) and to have three or four cars (and as I soon found out one cage too). Well, I came in and the sup started saying what we would be doing. One guy got five cars, one got four, the kid next to me (on a regular work day) got 9 cars and I got 10 cars. Seriously, what the hell man! I was to work out of three different cages. So I would have to work one for awhile, walk down and work another, then rise, lather and repeat.

I had people from all over the building coming over to mine and the kid's cages just to get a glimpse of what was going down. Never had I loaded so much in a bout 2 hours and 45 minutes. I mean its unheard of, yet somewhat easy. But they still gave us the amount that we can deal with on a regular work week, which is such BS!

The next day, I came in on a regular work day and loaded my usual three cars. By the end of the night I told my Sup that I’d much rather load those 10 cars out of 3 cages then load these 3 cars any-given-day, which is saying something really, if a preloaded says that about 10 over 3 that is.

The rest of the week rolls over and Thursday will be another signed for work day. Sup came up to me and asked if I wanted to work, which I was rather reluctant to do so, can you blame me? I did anyways and told her I hope I don’t have to load 10 cars again.

I came in Thursday a little early just to see what was going down or about to happen(seriously, working my mind and body over and over again during the week preloading has given me ESP abilities). Of course I knew beforehand and as I witnessed all the cars about 3 feet from the boxline. We were about to run the belt and stack outside of the cars. A lot of people really don’t care for this method.

And of course I and the kid get five cars, which under a belt make’s it more like 10. So, we really got the same type of treatment as Monday. And both worked under 3 hours to boot, Monday and Thursday.

I don’t mind over all, it just gets old they way they treat us. As I mean “us” we preloaders that hold up our end of the terms and conditions of the job. How they take advantage of the hard workers to the fullest and push us to that point, meanwhile people who lack the abilities of getting handed easier and easier types of work. It’s the reason you never hear of preloaders driving, a reason why UPS looses a lot of hard workers, because a person can take only so much.

I’m not trying to make us out as some sort of super hero, but it’s obvious how bad it can get for us preloaders. The story that we share, I am sure there is someone out there that has and done this before.

Thanks!

Big Babooba

Thatsnotfunny:sick:

SoyFish

Only one that comes to my mind was the time a fire extinguisher went off inside a box when another one bumped into it as it was coming down the slide...:lol: there was that "smoke" everywhere...hehe strangest thing thats ever happened on the job on my end.

Dustyroads

Soy, that reminds me of the time years ago when i was delivering out of a bubbletop econoline, they had no bulkhead door. I was testing the brakes, and a package came sliding up the top shelf, and clipped the top off of the fire extinguisher, which was mounted on the top shelf. It filled the cab with white powder, I realllly tested the brakes then. When i got stopped, and opened my eyes, i was completely white, except for my eyeballs!

Stran

Holy Toledo
Years ago working in the hub we had a box of grenades break open on the primary unload. I was working the belt that was close to the primary. All of a sudden all the belts shut off and everyone is running from the primary unload yellin "Get out of the building"!!! KRAZY!!! This was pre building evacuation plans...everyone just headed for the nearst door. Most of us didn't even know why we were running from the building. The local bomb squad came and took the box away. Turned out to be real grenades but they were just practice ones. No explosives!!! We had a long break that day!! :happy-very:

over9five

Staff member
Only one that comes to my mind was the time a fire extinguisher went off .......
One recently went off in a tractor while on the road. The driver crashed into a median guard rail. There were pictures posted (the whole inside of the cab was white), and an audit was done of every tractor extinguisher. Many were found unsecured, and many were missing the cable tie that holds the pin in.

"It's part of your pre-trip to check that".

wadep

One time years ago, making a res delivery, a young lady opens the door holding about a 6 month old child. I set the package on the floor beside her, go to pass her the stylus and she drops it. She bends over to pick it up, and while straitening into a standing position, baby grabs hold of the collar around moms shirt and out pops mom's left boob. Well she's standing there just about in tears and completely red from embarrasement. I simply tell her not to be embarrassed, happens all the time *LOL*