You've Got To Be friend@$!!&? Kidding Me

Here's the latest technology upgrade....
My starter went on Friday,brand new truck with 8000 miles on it and this is the second time.So finally,after the mechanic tries to have me repair the truck he does come out and we have a little conversation while off loading. Talk got around to all the money UPS is investing in new technology and guess what's coming next,in the very near future? Cameras AND sound INSIDE the cab of the package cars.If you think I'm kidding you and you have one of those flat screen backup monitors already,take a look at the bottom left hand corner of it. That little pinhole is a camera,already wired. They're just waiting on some sort of box to install that transmits sound and picture back to our centers.
Nice,huh?!!! Now,when you get cut off,I wouldn't advise flipping the person off or muttering a few unkind words. Wanna pick your nose?....better run in the back! Answer your cell phone?...don't even think about it!
All joking aside,this is going too far. There's not a single reason these cameras are necessary,not one. And don't give me this safety bullsh&t either. It's purely for intimidation and harassment. Plain and simple.
Lets say you have an accident,(errrr,I mean CRASH). Guess what? You say you made eye contact? You beeped your horn? Let's go to the video tape! Oooooops,guess what? They will find something,anything,that disputes your account,and then let the games begin.
No longer do we work for a company that appreciates hard work and effort to do the right thing on a daily basis. Instead we work for a corporation with only profits and it's stockholders as their only concerns. The faster they can get rid of you,the faster they can hire a new guy at 1/3 your rate for a year or two and sooner or later seniority drivers will be a thing of the past. It will be a vicious cycle,and the companies reputation is what will suffer the most.
Personally,I have about 9-10 years left and know if I do make it,I will consider myself fortunate. But I often look around at guys who've only been around full time 6,7,8 years and think to myself "no way in hell they'll last another 20". Sad what this company is becoming.

tourists24

Sad but true reality.... yet but one more reason I find myself detaching myself everyday with what this company has become. These things are put in place in the name of safety, production, etc but the way it is used is making for an environment that is not good for morale or professionalism. BTW,,, I will not run to the back of the car to pick my nose lol. If they want to get paid to sit at a monitor and watch me do it, more power to em. Wait til I have a cold and blow my nostril....lol

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I was told that the pinhole is a light sensor that is supposed to adjust the brightness of the screen based upon ambient light.

Cameras in tha cab would constitute a level of supervision that would have to be bargained over, in my opinion.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Are you sure its not already active? I saw a video on You Tube of a driver picking his nose with one hand, answering the phone with the other, steering with his knees while singing "take this job and shove it." It would have been perfect, but you should try to smile a little more.

Not sure, but I think someone is pulling your leg...

I was told that the pinhole is a light sensor that is supposed to adjust the brightness of the screen based upon ambient light.

Cameras in tha cab would constitute a level of supervision that would have to be bargained over, in my opinion.
I was also told that a year ago,but this mechanics been around,don't think he's pulling my chain.
And as far as bargaining over it,I will say it again,there's not one solid legitimate reason for having them. Period.

tourists24

There is language that covers things like this, but I have a feeling there would have to be a large outcry for action before something would be negotiated on a national scale

Johney

So if you are involved in an accident, I'm sure the other parties attorney will also love to view this video. It could help or hinder any type of lawsuit.

klein

Für Meno :)
Pretty soon you'll need to wear a cam around your belt or neck , like our police officers are getting.
It will make sure you treat customers with respect at all times, but also don't go into long chats with them either.
Also that all DR'S are done correctly and safe.
And much more :)

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If in fact the company took it upon itself to install and activate such cameras, the one in my cab would very quickly have its lens covered with dirt, electrical tape or a big booger.

brett636

I've always wondered if they would really take it this far. It sounds like a great way for the company to harrass/intimidate drivers, but unlike telematics where a nice report is spit out every morning telling management of the previous days infractions this system generates 8-12 hours of video on every driver every day. If any center has enough available man hours to dedicate someone to go through all that then you have a center which could save an equal amount of money by simply reducing its office staff.

tourists24

Pretty soon you'll need to wear a cam around your belt or neck , like our police officers are getting.
It will make sure you treat customers with respect at all times, but also don't go into long chats with them either.
And what does this matter to you anymore?

rocket man

Here's the latest technology upgrade....
My starter went on Friday,brand new truck with 8000 miles on it and this is the second time.So finally,after the mechanic tries to have me repair the truck he does come out and we have a little conversation while off loading. Talk got around to all the money UPS is investing in new technology and guess what's coming next,in the very near future? Cameras AND sound INSIDE the cab of the package cars.If you think I'm kidding you and you have one of those flat screen backup monitors already,take a look at the bottom left hand corner of it. That little pinhole is a camera,already wired. They're just waiting on some sort of box to install that transmits sound and picture back to our centers.
Nice,huh?!!! Now,when you get cut off,I wouldn't advise flipping the person off or muttering a few unkind words. Wanna pick your nose?....better run in the back! Answer your cell phone?...don't even think about it!
All joking aside,this is going too far. There's not a single reason these cameras are necessary,not one. And don't give me this safety bullsh&t either. It's purely for intimidation and harassment. Plain and simple.
Lets say you have an accident,(errrr,I mean CRASH). Guess what? You say you made eye contact? You beeped your horn? Let's go to the video tape! Oooooops,guess what? They will find something,anything,that disputes your account,and then let the games begin.
No longer do we work for a company that appreciates hard work and effort to do the right thing on a daily basis. Instead we work for a corporation with only profits and it's stockholders as their only concerns. The faster they can get rid of you,the faster they can hire a new guy at 1/3 your rate for a year or two and sooner or later seniority drivers will be a thing of the past. It will be a vicious cycle,and the companies reputation is what will suffer the most.
Personally,I have about 9-10 years left and know if I do make it,I will consider myself fortunate. But I often look around at guys who've only been around full time 6,7,8 years and think to myself "no way in hell they'll last another 20". Sad what this company is becoming.
This was a great post you made but you should have made it to the RUNNERS OUT THERE WHO ARE TRYING TO DO 280 300 STOPS AND SAYING IM DONE AT 615 ISNT THAT COOL SEE HOW LONG YOU CAN DO THAT? THATS WHAT IS IN THERE FUTURE YOU GUYS AND GIRLS BETTER WISE UP SOON, THIS IS GONNA BE A JOB WERE YOU HAVE TO BE PERFECT . AND I HAVENT SEEN ANY ONE LIKE THAT YET, ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO FOLLOW EVERY RULE WE HAVE AND BUST OUT ROUTES LIKE THAT. AND IF YOU SAY I CAN DO IT YOU HAVE A BIG INTEGRITY PROBLEM!!! AND WHEN THE COMPANY IS READY THEY WILL POUNCE ON YOU? . YOU BETTER HOPE YOUR A UNION MEMBER AND IN GOOD STANDING BECAUSE those who are( not) THE union in the future will have no choice but to fully protect the the ones who are. The world is changing and the company and the union is to. smile you on camera.

Last edited:

And you'll have to install a camera on your hotdogs. Problem is the only footage available will be of you running it in and out of a very dark place.

GolfCart

we must be perfect all the time while they screw everything up ! Next to come will be a cell phone jammer to stop us from using cell phones .

tourists24

I don't know. I read someone like rocket man's sentiments towards the company and while I agree to a small point, something else has to be asked. Why do so many of you think there is a conspiracy to fire you unless you're perfect? If this was true or even close to the truth, there would be zero hourlies left. I've seen UPS harass underachievers AS A GENERAL RULE. I think some of you were, are and will be poor or sub-par workers who show up but play the system. There is no way all of you are even close to being above average at your jobs. The percentages do not work out. It is like everyone saying they are 6 foot 4 with a giant pecker. So many of the people I work with are schmucks.. that means a good portion of you need to be as well. Some outliers here and there and all thick-skinned to survive here long term, obviously.

In this conspiracy theory do they fire all of you for not being perfect and actively look to do so at every moment? I agree it is in the mans best interest to keep people at a lower rate by thinning out the heard but to me the big paid workers who are GOOD are respected and a valued commodity because so many of you are schmucks and or/disgruntled underachievers (maybe rightfully so)!

There will always be people in high positions who are compensating for other weaknesses they have developed in life. I just don't believe every manager in your hub is the devil.
I never claimed to be 6' 4 with a giant pecker.... I am only 5' 4 sir.... the other half stands true