yrc Worldwide

airbusfxr

Yellow reported a big 2nd quarter loss and the article say customers are moving faster than a DHL van going over a cliff. It seems they have a Toyota contract and it is almost over also. Since YRCW doesnt have airplanes I have never really check into them but the article says Union employees are taking pay cuts and pension cuts. I wonder if they are ready for a takeover or would it be better for them to end up like DHL?

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
better to end up like DHL. their technology and network is outdated, and UPS Freight could better serve those customers.

YRC has been cutting prices to maintain volume (see DHL) and no one wants that cheap freight. if they go out of business, the entire industry will benefit (all companied wont have to keep cutting prices to win volume, and profits will increase for everyon). YRC carries 30% of the LTL market and are the largest player by far. them going out of business is what the transportation industry needs.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
I may be mistaken but I am pretty sure that the YRC employees up here are in the same pension plan that I am. I am not 100% sure on that, though.

did central states only cover some of the employees at UPS? i really have no clue how any of that works.

it sucks all these companies are all part of a plan, that doesnt seem fair to the companies that survive.

Dustyroads

The Central States Fund was the largest of the health and welfare funds which provide pension and health insurance for UPS workers. When UPS pulled out of this fund last year, YRC became the largest remaining contributor in that multi-employer plan. Just last month the Teamsters agreed to take a lien against YRC property for payment of their monthly contributions for the next year and a half. If YRC fails, the Central States fund will not be far behind. All Central States teamsters who retired before this last contract will be greatly impacted.

For example, a UPS driver with 30 years of service at age 62 who retired before this contract would see their monthly pension benefits suddenly decrease from $3,000 a month to the $1,000 maximum guaranteed by the Federal pension insurance plan. That would affect many of our UPS retirees greatly.

Salesguy, you are about as shallow as a kiddie pool. You spout off, YRC failure would be great, UPS freight will get all of that business. Such a failure would impact hundreds of thousands of retirees across the country including many UPS retirees. To see this as a good thing is a bad thing.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
shallow? this is business, son. more UPS business...more UPS employees.

i guess that is shallow, but we compete against them everyday.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
i do appolgize if i offended anyone with my post, but....do you think it's fair for UPS to be paying to pensions of other failed companies? it BLOWS that UPS retirees would be screwed....maybe that can be part of a new contract? i really had no idea UPS employees were still in the central states fund...excuse my ignorance.

i work hard to make sure all retirees have a good future...that includes my own.

Dustyroads

salesguy, maybe you don't realize that if the central states fund becomes insolvent, ups will have to pay all of central states obligations for pensions for all current workers. It would mean millions and millions of dollars of new obligations for ups. How do you like them apples, son?

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
dusty, is that true? didnt we pay to withdraw from the CS fund? are you saying if we are better than our competitors, it hurts us in the long run? really, i dont want to get into a pissing match...i didnt mean to start another flame war with another poster on this board.

i like apple juice?

Dustyroads

Yes, salesguy, I find it incredible that as a management person you have no idea what the last contract was all about. The removal of UPS from the plan only applied to future obligations. Every ups worker who has worked before Jan 1, 2008 is affected. And in the new contract UPS promised to guarantee Central States obligations to any worker employeed on that date. For me, with 29 years in with the central states on jan 08, it would mean $2,648 a month extra that UPS would have to provide me for the rest of my life. Surely you can do the math.

Dustyroads

Hoax, I guess that depends on how long I live after age 65. I believe a defined plan only uses an actuary to calcuate the health of the plan, or whether there is enough money left, estimating the plan's members' ages and estimated life expectancy.

Regardless of how you want to measure it, it would be a substantial additional cost to ups if the central states plan fails.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Yes, salesguy, I find it incredible that as a management person you have no idea what the last contract was all about. The removal of UPS from the plan only applied to future obligations. Every ups worker who has worked before Jan 1, 2008 is affected. And in the new contract UPS promised to guarantee Central States obligations to any worker employeed on that date. For me, with 29 years in with the central states on jan 08, it would mean $2,648 a month extra that UPS would have to provide me for the rest of my life. Surely you can do the math.

dude, i am in sales...i do not have to nor do I really want to know the entire contract. i am already floating between the drivers and the center teams- some things you dont want to be a subject matter expert on.

i CAN tell you every one of our services...from freight, to supply chain, to small package, to brokerage, to technology, to finance, to customer service, etc...and the competitions comparable services.

Dustyroads

salesguy, i'd think you'd want to know as much as you could, since you are posting on the subject, and since it has a potential for costing ups millions of dollars.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoax, I guess that depends on how long I live after age 65. I believe a defined plan only uses an actuary to calcuate the health of the plan, or whether there is enough money left, estimating the plan's members' ages and estimated life expectancy.

Regardless of how you want to measure it, it would be a substantial additional cost to ups if the central states plan fails.

There was a thread a couple months back that said the Teamster's Pension plan on average paid 26 months before the retiree died. I guess that was pretty vague reference ... sorry.