Zero Tolerance Stalking Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

over9five

Staff member
Some of you may know that a picture of my wife and I was recently posted by another member (Roadrunner2012) in Current Events. This picture was lifted from my Photobucket account. Strange that you have to enter a name and password to get into your own account, but others can see it anyhow...

I would like to thank Cheryl for quickly taking down the picture when I reported it, and putting Roadrunner2012 in the moderation queu. I'd also like to thank Cheryl for helping me secure my Photobucket account.

I took this invasion of my, and especially my wife's privacy too lightly at first. Since then, I have remembered another stalker on Brown Cafe. Some of the more senior members will remember a very highly respected member who was also stalked. His stalker started with posting pictures of the front door of his house and business. Later this stalker used a picture of the members sister as his/her avatar. Creepy stuff when someone posts pictures of your family.

I did not ask then, and do not ask now for Roadrunner2012 to be banned. What's past is past.

But I would like to suggest that from this minute forward, anyone who posts pictures of another member in an attempt to harass or publicly identify them be banned immediately.

Posted for your discussion:

What would YOU like to be done when another member posts a picture of you, your wife or husband, or your children in a way meant to harass or publicly identify you?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

But I would like to suggest that from this minute forward, anyone who posts pictures of another member in an attempt to harass or publicly identify them be banned immediately.

I would extend this to the pictures which the member posts on their account here used by other members as their personal avatars.

Z

ZQXC

The situation that the OP encountered is much different that when someone freely decides to post a photo of themselves, or themselves with other family members. Any rational person should expect that abuses could occur from that type of posting.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The situation that the OP encountered is much different that when someone freely decides to post a photo of themselves, or themselves with other family members. Any rational person should expect that abuses could occur from that type of posting.

Over freely decided to post those pictures to his Photobucket account for the world to see. He never assumed that anyone would use those pictures in the manner that RR did so he did not think to properly set his privacy settings. There is no excuse for what RR did.

The pictures that we freely decide to post here should be posted without worry that someone will try to use them against you. anonymous and Bubblehead both chose to use my personal pictures as their avatars. While there was no harm done I still felt that these actions crossed the line.

I would extend this to the pictures which the member posts on their account here used by other members as their personal avatars.

I've always felt the unwritten rule was that family is off limits, whether you like the BC member or not.

Now if a BC member is going to post their own picture on here then they should expect some level of ribbing at best. As far as the avatar thought, if there's nothing else involved other than the picture being used because it's use alone is enough to bug that person than maybe the OP shouldn't have put it on BC in the first place.

Nimnim

The Nim
I've been mulling this over for a couple hours. It's one thing if someone actively posts pictures of themselves and they get reused when it's relevant, but despite privacy settings if someone were to go into any photo collections I may have and attempt to use them to embarrass or publicly identify myself then that's crossing a line.

Anyone who knows me IRL has a good chance of knowing who I am here, I've had a couple friends from work mention a post or two, but they've not said who I was on here. If one of them were to show up here and post identifiable stuff about me, I'd certainly report it and have a good talking to with them next time I saw them.

As far as punishment, I do support moderation over someone taking active steps to identify a person against their wishes. The severity of the punishment would rely on the intent of the actions made by the person. If it was genuinely done to identify and embarrass a ban should be considered. I don't believe a ban should be automatic unless the actions are shown to have direct malice, else the person afflicted by such posts should be consulted first.

Over freely decided to post those pictures to his Photobucket account for the world to see. He never assumed that anyone would use those pictures in the manner that RR did so he did not think to properly set his privacy settings. There is no excuse for what RR did.

The pictures that we freely decide to post here should be posted without worry that someone will try to use them against you. anonymous and Bubblehead both chose to use my personal pictures as their avatars. While there was no harm done I still felt that these actions crossed the line.

I use photobucket like Ovah does, as a host medium to make it easier to post pics elsewhere. After his incident I changed my settings also even though there's nothing on there but junk I've posted here. RR had to fish to find those pics.

Do we consider the place that someone posts a pic as a factor? If someone posts a pic on Facebook, which nowadays is akin to putting it on a highway billboard, of himself wearing a dress then is it fair to complain if someone finds it? How it's used if it is found should be the factor.

As far as 407 and Bubble using your pic as an avatar because they know it will bug the heck out of you is childish maybe but it's nowhere near the same as what RR did.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Some of you may know that a picture of my wife and I was recently posted by another member (Roadrunner2012) in Current Events. This picture was lifted from my Photobucket account. Strange that you have to enter a name and password to get into your own account, but others can see it anyhow...

I would like to thank Cheryl for quickly taking down the picture when I reported it, and putting Roadrunner2012 in the moderation queu. I'd also like to thank Cheryl for helping me secure my Photobucket account.

I took this invasion of my, and especially my wife's privacy too lightly at first. Since then, I have remembered another stalker on Brown Cafe. Some of the more senior members will remember a very highly respected member who was also stalked. His stalker started with posting pictures of the front door of his house and business. Later this stalker used a picture of the members sister as his/her avatar. Creepy stuff when someone posts pictures of your family.

I did not ask then, and do not ask now for Roadrunner2012 to be banned. What's past is past.

What would YOU like to be done when another member posts a picture of you, your wife or husband, or your children in a way meant to harass or publicly identify you?

I didn't see the picture yesterday, I'm glad it was quickly deleted. It was obviously posted as to try to intimidate or harass. It, along with the ensuing cryptic comments, was very creepy.

Honestly, it's because of weirdos & creeps like RR, that I always lock my doors, & (reluctantly) often carry a hand gun.

As far as zero tolerance, ABSOLUTELY!
Posting pictures of a BC member & especially their family is off limits!

oldngray

nowhere special
If someone posts their own picture here on BC then its fair game. Never should personal information from other sources be posted here. Only OK on BC if that person brings it up first.

Nimnim

The Nim
If someone posts their own picture here on BC then its fair game. Never should personal information from other sources be posted here. Only OK on BC if that person brings it up first.

I'll agree that if someone posts a picture of themselves here it's fair game, unless others use it to actively harass the member. At that point it violated 6 (and probably 8) in the TOS.

Aside from that I agree, info found outside BC is off limits.

Dude you know you were being a turd burgler and that's why I did it. I would do it again if I could. You post that pic and have been a jerk to me and many members on this site for years. I really like moreluck and the thought of a grown ass man bothering an old lady or any woman for that matter really really really gets under my skin. A woman who was really close to me was really wronged by a man and whe I see anyone harassing a woman I want to go. The only thing I regret out of the whole ordeal is saying your daughter was hot. I take that back but the rest you deserve.

oldngray

nowhere special
So if someone posts a picture of my front door is it appropriate for me to post a picture of my 12 gauge shotgun and shells?
gun_shooting.gif

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So if someone posts a picture of my front door is it appropriate for me to post a picture of my 12 gauge shotgun and shells?
Probably not but it would be appropriate to notify law enforcement of the fact that someone posted a 12 gauge shotgun and shells as a threat. :anxious:

I can't imagine anyone ever having a problem with you. You are very easy going and a great character on this forum.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Dude you know you were being a turd burgler and that's why I did it. I would do it again if I could. You post that pic and have been a jerk to me and many members on this site for years. I really like moreluck and the thought of a grown ass man bothering an old lady or any woman for that matter really really really gets under my skin. A woman who was really close to me was really wronged by a man and whe I see anyone harassing a woman I want to go. The only thing I regret out of the whole ordeal is saying your daughter was hot. I take that back but the rest you deserve.
Actually she was ... a very pretty young lady!

Status
Not open for further replies.