Zimbabwean To America: Enough About The Dumb Lion Already

Babagounj

Strength through joy
A fellow named Goodwell Nzou, a doctoral biochem student at Wake Forest and a native of Zimbabwe, is expressing his utter bewilderment in a New York Times op-ed:

Did all those Americans signing petitions understand that lions actually kill people? That all the talk about Cecil being “beloved” or a “local favorite” was media hype? Did Jimmy Kimmel choke up because Cecil was murdered or because he confused him with Simba from “The Lion King”?

In my village in Zimbabwe, surrounded by wildlife conservation areas, no lion has ever been beloved, or granted an affectionate nickname. They are objects of terror…

When I was 9 years old, a solitary lion prowled villages near my home. After it killed a few chickens, some goats and finally a cow, we were warned to walk to school in groups and stop playing outside…

A week later, my mother gathered me with nine of my siblings to explain that her uncle had been attacked but escaped with nothing more than an injured leg. The lion sucked the life out of the village: No one socialized by fires at night; no one dared stroll over to a neighbor’s homestead.

When the lion was finally killed, no one cared whether its murderer was a local person or a white trophy hunter, whether it was poached or killed legally. We danced and sang about the vanquishing of the fearsome beast and our escape from serious harm…

Don’t misunderstand me: For Zimbabweans, wild animals have near-mystical significance… But our respect for these animals has never kept us from hunting them or allowing them to be hunted.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
A fellow named Goodwell Nzou, a doctoral biochem student at Wake Forest and a native of Zimbabwe, is expressing his utter bewilderment in a New York Times op-ed:

Did all those Americans signing petitions understand that lions actually kill people? That all the talk about Cecil being “beloved” or a “local favorite” was media hype? Did Jimmy Kimmel choke up because Cecil was murdered or because he confused him with Simba from “The Lion King”?

In my village in Zimbabwe, surrounded by wildlife conservation areas, no lion has ever been beloved, or granted an affectionate nickname. They are objects of terror…

When I was 9 years old, a solitary lion prowled villages near my home. After it killed a few chickens, some goats and finally a cow, we were warned to walk to school in groups and stop playing outside…

A week later, my mother gathered me with nine of my siblings to explain that her uncle had been attacked but escaped with nothing more than an injured leg. The lion sucked the life out of the village: No one socialized by fires at night; no one dared stroll over to a neighbor’s homestead.

When the lion was finally killed, no one cared whether its murderer was a local person or a white trophy hunter, whether it was poached or killed legally. We danced and sang about the vanquishing of the fearsome beast and our escape from serious harm…

Don’t misunderstand me: For Zimbabweans, wild animals have near-mystical significance… But our respect for these animals has never kept us from hunting them or allowing them to be hunted.

Such is life in the real world, outside our PC country. It's all about survival.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Is that what you were going to do in Africa?

This story reminds me of the pet gorilla that tore that ladies face off in the NE a few years ago. They are called animals for a reason.

No. I was going to be in a big city. Only lions there are in the zoo. Plenty of goats, sheep and cows running around though. Lol.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Such is life in the real world, outside our PC country. It's all about survival.

Maybe he'll flunk college, because lions are endangered. I can see his point, but was Cecil a man-killer?

If we kill all the top predators, the ecosystem will be out of balance. How hard is that to fathom?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Maybe he'll flunk college, because lions are endangered. I can see his point, but was Cecil a man-killer?

If we kill all the top predators, the ecosystem will be out of balance. How hard is that to fathom?
So you're starting an "adopt a lion" program........in your home? Big litter box!!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
kx91x.jpg

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So you're starting an "adopt a lion" program........in your home? Big litter box!!

Yep, moving one in tomorrow. I think the whole Cecil deal is a bit over the top because our good dentist paid plenty for his hunt, which is the way it works there...all about the money. A cowardly kill and I don't get the desire for a head on someone's wall either.

The big problem is that lions shouldn't be hunted because there aren't enough of them.

trickpony1

Cecil was in a wildlife refuge that attracted tourists and generated revenue. He was lured outside the confines of the refuge and slaughtered.

There's a big difference between a "domesticated" lion on a refuge and a wild lion in the wild.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Cecil was in a wildlife refuge that attracted tourists and generated revenue. He was lured outside the confines of the refuge and slaughtered.

There's a big difference between a "domesticated" lion on a refuge and a wild lion in the wild.

Agreed. But either way, there aren't many of them, and they shouldn't be hunted.

rod

Retired 22 years
Being that Minnesota is a big time hunting state I predict his dental business will boom once all the "poor puddycat" crowd moves on to something else.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Hunting for sport isn't unheard of, so why make such a huge fuss for this one lion?

I love cats, all kinds, but I have lost ZERO sleep over Mr Cecil

He will never practice dentistry again.

Uh, he killed a lion, and you think he'll never have another client? Check your Crystal ball/Magic 8 ball again.

If I lived in Minnesota, I'd have no problem going to him.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Agreed. But either way, there aren't many of them, and they shouldn't be hunted.

African countries tend to be very poor.

The way they can afford to operate wildlife refuges and protect endangered species is to charge wealthy Americans and Europeans a small fortune for a license to hunt big game. The revenue gained by allowing one animal to be shot allows 50 to be protected.

I don't have a problem with any of that, although I personally do not hunt predators or trophies. My problem is the manner in which this "hunt" was conducted. Luring the animal out of the refuge by strapping an antelope carcass to a car so that it can wounded with a crossbow and allowed to suffer for hours before finally being killed with a rifle is not ethical.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
He will never practice dentistry again.
It's a little different out here than in NY. Everybody and their mother has a gun in Minnesota. At my university it is routine to have classes cancelled on the Friday of the deer opener and the duck opener. If this guy was in San Francisco I'd agree, in Minnesota, not really. At worst he'll move up north and open a practice with a line out the door wanting to hear the story.
If I lived in Minnesota, I'd have no problem going to him.
With the exception of some of the liberal suburbs, that's how everyone else feels as well.