“Methods” for calling off

Tortuga

I AM THE MiLKMAN
I called off but as usual I just tell whoever answered “hello this is Tortuga using a sick day” & hang up lol. Got a missed call from my On road supe saying “you need to speak to an on road when calling off this is a method even the stewards will tell you to do.” That’s complete bull:censored2: right???

Cowboy Mac

I always text someone who is in charge of staffing whether that is a dispatch sup, ORS, or Center Manager. Or all of the above in a group text. That way you have it in writing and at least one of them will respond to you, so they can’t lie and say they never talked to you.

JustDeliverIt

I just call my on car and if he doesn't answer shoot him a text. After that who cares, I made an honest effort. Some people call the oms but they just put you through to your on car, cut out the middle man and just go direct.

Thebrownblob

I called off but as usual I just tell whoever answered “hello this is Tortuga using a sick day” & hang up lol. Got a missed call from my On road supe saying “you need to speak to an on road when calling off this is a method even the stewards will tell you to do.” That’s complete bull:censored2: right???
You do not need to speak to an on road supervisor that’s complete bull:censored2:. If they want to talk to you they can answer the phone otherwise you tell whoever answers I’m calling off today have a nice day “click”

The very few times I actually call in they realize it’s not a negotiation.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Total BS supe just wants a chance to browbeat, shame and cajol you into coming in to work

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
As a stew, I would go with calling the hub/center number for a proper call out, but sometimes the voicemail box is full or they don’t answer so shooting a text/calling your management from your phone would be ok since it’s in writing that you gave notice, but then you open up the door with management hitting up your phone. Get with your steward/business agent.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
You do not need to speak to an on road supervisor that’s complete bull:censored2:. If they want to talk to you they can answer the phone otherwise you tell whoever answers I’m calling off today have a nice day “click”

The very few times I actually call in they realize it’s not a negotiation.
Never waver. If you call in sick and they ask what’s wrong, say why?, are you a doctor? Or say you got the sheets🫤 The end.

WorknLateHuh

I call a random ups hub center manager in my state and say "this is ___ . I'm booking off today, goodbye." It gets even better if you call the next day to book back on...

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Remember, you are not asking to be sick. You are telling them you are sick. Tell them to kick rocks.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
As a stew, I would go with calling the hub/center number for a proper call out, but sometimes the voicemail box is full or they don’t answer so shooting a text/calling your management from your phone would be ok since it’s in writing that you gave notice, but then you open up the door with management hitting up your phone. Get with your steward/business agent.
I urge employees who call out excessively to not text in. It creates a sort of paper trail that could be used against them.

Tanktoptony

Not in the contract you need to speak with an OnRoad sup to call out. It’s none of their business why you aren’t gonna be there and then talking to you isn’t change the fact you will not be there. If you do have a weak steward who does tell you have to talk to them, ask where states that in the contract? Incompetent stewards are almost as bad as the onroads