“On Topic” Yard Control Safety Violation Walkthrough.

Integrity

Binge Poster
A UPS employee observes a feeder driver or one of the shifters, driving through the yard clearly and blatantly in excess of the posted speed limit for the yard.

In your opinion what action should this UPS employee take?

FYI
This is an “On Topic Thread” all off topic attempts to derail this Walkthrough will be reported as such.

Last edited:

KOG72

I’m full of it
A UPS employee observes a feeder driver driving through the yard in excess of the posted speed limit for the yard.

FYI
This is an “On Topic Thread” all off topic attempts to derail this Walkthrough will be reported as such.
At my building it’s not really the feeder drivers it’s more on the guys and gals shifting.Better training of these people would seem like a win win for me.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
A UPS employee observes a feeder driver driving through the yard in excess of the posted speed limit for the yard.

FYI
How can said employees verify the actual speed of the “speeding” feeder?

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
If reported by the employee it would go nowhere..management doesn’t care about speeding. If they cared then why doesn’t telematics have an excessive speed report?
Speeding is the #1 reason for an on road fatality , yet UPS doesn’t monitor our speed..

There are a lot of variables at play here. I mean going a few miles per hour over in the yard during a slow part of the day (no sort running) or blatantly hauling ass with people and equipment all over?

Integrity

Binge Poster
At my building it’s not really the feeder drivers it’s more on the guys and gals shifting.Better training of these people would seem like a win win for me.
I corrected original post to include the shifters.

What should a UPS employee do if they observe this type of Yard Safety Control Violation?

I corrected original post to include the shifters.

What should a UPS employee do if they observe this type of Yard Safety Control Violation?
I see only two real options, confront the driver or notify management. As already addressed, no disciplinary action is likely to be taken or if they try it it's an easy grievance for discipline based on technology as that is the only method of determining the drivers speed. That makes option two useless. So.. talk to the driver?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
How can said employees verify the actual speed of the “speeding” feeder?
Well, if they were a hotshot traffic guru like me, they could if they knew a specific distance and timed the feeder over that distance. They could get a speed from that.

I am the exception to the rule though!:raspberry:

This is not absolutely correct. You can not be discharged solely based on technology. You can be disciplined.
You're right. So warning letter which will be grieved into oblivion?
Right.. no employee may be discharged based on technology alone, so GPS could clock him at 73 and the worst they could do is give him a letter. Sounds like an easy grievance with no other witnesses.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
A UPS employee observes a feeder driver or one of the shifters, driving through the yard clearly and blatantly in excess of the posted speed limit for the yard.

FYI

If you’re serious about this here ya go

Big knarley speed bumps every 50 yards

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

FYI

The only real course of action is, if said employee is sure the driver was speeding, then professionally speak to the driver and hope that the driver is willing to accept some constructive criticism.