“The Body of Christ” with Integrity (On Topic Only”

Integrity

Binge Poster
In church service this past Sunday our Pastor ‘s message was on Church membership.

Over my years in attendance this is not the first message I have heard on this topic and yet the same feelings and opinions came to my soul and mind when he came to the part where he was describing the local church, our church as “ the Church”, “the body of Christ”.

I am a firm believer that all believers in God across all nations and all time are what represent “the Body of Christ”, “the Church”.

Any “On Topic” thoughts or opinions on this topic will be appreciated.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Was he saying that your church is the only "body of Christ", if so, I'd be looking for another.
That is part of my dissonance, I guess.

I believe that there is only one Spiritual body of Christ at that is all believers in God across all nations and time.

I believe each believer in God is a part of the same body of Christ regardless of how they group up or organize.

upschuck

I believe that there is only one Spiritual body of Christ at that is all believers in God across all nations and time.

I believe each believer in God is a part of the same body of Christ regardless of how they group up or organize.
If that is what he meant, then it sounds like a cult, and time to move on.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Nagging you to get others to join. Sounds like that is what you were saying. It’s like they’re all in competition instead of working towards the same common goal.

I don’t go because I don’t believe in any of it.

Integrity

Binge Poster
If that is what he meant, then it sounds like a cult, and time to move on.
Not sure that is exactly what he meant, I get the feeling that he was more likely implying that there are multiple bodies of Christ, with each church including ours being a body. I cannot reconcile in my spirit and mind how this makes sense at all. Never could.

Some Evangelical churches and the Baptist denomination highly emphasize the importance of the local organized church in this way.

Do you believe they are cults?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Nagging you to get others to join. Sounds like that is what you were saying. It’s like they’re all in competition instead of working towards the same common goal.

I don’t go because I don’t believe in any of it.
I can see your point.

I believe all of the denominations and divisions have done little to make many people see it differently than you.

Thank you for you input and your sharing!

upschuck

Not sure that is exactly what he meant, I get the feeling that he was more likely implying that there are multiple bodies of Christ, with each church including ours being a body. I cannot reconcile in my spirit and mind how this makes sense at all. Never could.

Some Evangelical churches and the Baptist denomination highly emphasize the importance of the local organized church in this way.

Do you believe they are cults?
1cor12:13 says it straight to the point. Make your own conclusion.

Integrity

Binge Poster
1cor12:13 says it straight to the point. Make your own conclusion.
Thank you.

I appreciate your knowledge and quotation of a scripture verse, but I am really interested in what you believe in my previous question.

I appreciate you response but I am not a Bible thumper. For me to understand your answer I will need you to explain what you believe based upon the verse you quoted.

I believe in the usefulness and importance of Scripture but not in the authority of Scripture.

over9five

Staff member
I think you should talk with your pastor after the service. Have him explain his belief to you.

upschuck

Thank you.

I appreciate your knowledge and quotation of a scripture verse, but I am really interested in what you believe in my previous question.

I appreciate you response but I am not a Bible thumper. For me to understand your answer I will need you to explain what you believe based upon the verse you quoted.

I believe in the usefulness and importance of Scripture but not in the authority of Scripture.
I don't know enough of them to respond, but if they think they are the only body, then they are a cult. They're be a comet coming shortly to take them home,

upschuck

Thank you.

What exactly you mean by "authority"?

Integrity

Binge Poster
I don't know enough of them to respond, but if they think they are the only body, then they are a cult. They're be a comet coming shortly to take them home,
Not familiar with general Baptist or Reformed beliefs?

Do you ascribe to any religious leanings or churches?