05 Actual hours

upsmaninmi

Been at UPS 20 years, in the past there has always been a sign up sheet to work actual hours. Apparently, last Friday when a lot of us bounced early because pickups were closed, stops were light, etc....They 05'd us without any forewarning. Anyone else has this happen? By the way, punched out at 4:15 with full lunch taken.

mainebrown

Hopefully we don't loose the eight hour guarantee... If everyone works actual, they will slowly give less work to people they hate, and run them out of a job...

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Been at UPS 20 years, in the past there has always been a sign up sheet to work actual hours. Apparently, last Friday when a lot of us bounced early because pickups were closed, stops were light, etc....They 05'd us without any forewarning. Anyone else has this happen? By the way, punched out at 4:15 with full lunch taken.
Happens all the time. I'd highly suggest anytime you work holidays or low volume days, you make sure you let management know you want your 8hrs.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Not directed at the OP, but I find it intresting people moan and complain about not getting their gaurantee but make no effort to let management know they want it. Seems like folks want the 8hrs as long as it doesn't involve them actually performing the work, otherwise they'd turn the offer down if called to the floor to work it everytime.

M

Mike hunt

Not directed at the OP, but I find it intresting people moan and complain about not getting their gaurantee but make no effort to let management know they want it. Seems like folks want the 8hrs as long as it doesn't involve them actually performing the work, otherwise they'd turn the offer down if called to the floor to work it everytime.
I would also add that they don't want to speak up and let them know face to face that they want their 8.

Last edited by a moderator:

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

Let me preface this by saying, I totally agree with your statement but playing devil's advocate here, the 8hrs is contractually guaranteed and management knows this. Why should we have to remind them of this when they are watching our every movement on their computers. They know how much work we have and if they allow us to return to the building, loiter around and not assign us more work or (should I say), give us enough work to make the guarantee, and subsequently send us home, then I say it it their problem and at that point pay me my guarantee.

They tried to pull that 05 in our center last Friday by putting up a sign-up sheet for 05. I, along with several other drivers refused to sign it. Some did and they got 05 pay. It was too late to do anything to those of us who were sent home after finishing our work other than pay those of us the guarantee who refused to sign the form. On a side note, they also tried to call a few of us in yesterday including myself 1130am. I asked if there was enough work for me to stay there and cancel my plans until 2030 that evening.
"No, but if you want to 05 you can."
My response was, "I will need my guarantee to come in or I will need to have enough to keep me busy until 2030."
"We are not going to stay here until 2030 so you can work!" Long silence....."nevermind" *click* and they hung up. LOL!!! Why can't all the conversations be that easy?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Let me preface this by saying, I totally agree with your statement but playing devil's advocate here, the 8hrs is contractually guaranteed and management knows this. Why should we have to remind them of this when they are watching our every movement on their computers. They know how much work we have and if they allow us to return to the building, loiter around and not assign us more work or (should I say), give us enough work to make the guarantee, and subsequently send us home, then I say it it their problem and at that point pay me my guarantee.

They tried to pull that 05 in our center last Friday by putting up a sign-up sheet for 05. I, along with several other drivers refused to sign it. Some did and they got 05 pay. It was too late to do anything to those of us who were sent home after finishing our work other than pay those of us the guarantee who refused to sign the form. On a side note, they also tried to call a few of us in yesterday including myself 1130am. I asked if there was enough work for me to stay there and cancel my plans until 2030 that evening.
"No, but if you want to 05 you can."
My response was, "I will need my guarantee to come in or I will need to have enough to keep me busy until 2030."
"We are not going to stay here until 2030 so you can work!" Long silence....."nevermind" *click* and they hung up. LOL!!! Why can't all the conversations be that easy?
I think the main thing is the shift of people's mentality from wanting to work, to doing just enough to get by. Case in point, our center had a signup sheet for New Years eve, on the right was a spot for Y or N for those wanting 8hrs. Earlier in the week there was a PCM on telling people who would be forced to let them know if they wanted 8hrs so they can make sure there was enough work on the truck for them. Out of the 60ish drivers, 10 signed up to come in, 6 out of all drivers working demanded 8.

As management, they made every attempt at abiding to the contract on this. As sure as I'm posting, people will bitch next Friday that they got coded 05. These same people come in and take no pays throughout the year, complain how they are broke, and moan they gotta work the day after Thanksgiving.

If management wanted to, they could build all routes to go out with 8+ hours and force a select few to be screwed, instead they figure staff more routes and have people get in early to enjoy what's left of the holiday. Those that requested 8 can do pickups and drop boxes, which works out for everyone.

Just imagine the bitching and complaining on this forum if management decided to do that.

upsmaninmi

First off, I work my ass off for this place--don't want to hear "the moaning and complaining" BS. I had enough work on paper to get my 8 hours worth of work. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have even posted this thread. That being said, just wanted to know what was happening in others areas since this was the first time it's happened here without it being posted first.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
First off, I work my ass off for this place--don't want to hear "the moaning and complaining" BS. I had enough work on paper to get my 8 hours worth of work. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have even posted this thread. That being said, just wanted to know what was happening in others areas since this was the first time it's happened here without it being posted first.
Are you in a bonus center? If yes, no big deal. If no. you had 8 plus hours of work, then work 8 plus hours.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Assuming you have the senority to where you volunteered, I assume when you were done working you notified management you were done and if they needed you to do anything else in order to make your 8? Everyone's center is different, that being said, I'd cover my basis so that if I had to file on not getting my 8, it would be a slam dunk.

upsmaninmi

Assuming you have the senority to where you volunteered, I assume when you were done working you notified management you were done and if they needed you to do anything else in order to make your 8? Everyone's center is different, that being said, I'd cover my basis so that if I had to file on not getting my 8, it would be a slam dunk.
Why would I notify management that I needed 8 hours if it's guaranteed unless we were told otherwise? I thought this was made clear in my initial statement. Besides, it was Friday. Management was long gone.