10 hour vacation check and 38% tax? Huh?

So last year all my vacation and op was taxed as normal. This year I take a vacation only to get 10.27 vacation hours. What? I don't understand that at all. And on top of that it was taxed at 38%? I only get 11.50 and a typical week at ups could bring anywhere from $100 to $150, but a vacation check that only paid $118 got taxed almost 40% down to $73? Can someone explain this? Not only am I going to raise hell about the bogus vacation hours, but I feel as if someone screwed up in payroll...

MendozaJ

It only matters if you need the money now. Come tax season, you'll get the money back if your withholdings exceed what you owe in taxes.

$10 isn't going to make or break you.

Last edited:
O

OLDMAN3

How many hours are you supposed to get paid for vacation?
Depending upon your supplement, you may receive penalty pay if they don't correct the error quickly (if it is over $40 due).
Are you in the union?
Do you have a contract book? Otherwise you can access one online.
Educate yourself.

Chemo

Did you miss time last year with an injury? If you don't have enough "reports" to get full vacations, they will pro-rate it. That could explain the 10.27 hours. Or it could be just another payroll error.

OK, so I didn't use vacation for an injury. My stubs prior say I still have 25 hours opw. I didn't use anything except 3 op days. I should have gotten around $200+ if they do it the same way they did last year. Last year I got my op week vacation week and 3 day, and they were all taxed as normal checks. I don't see how this could be taxed as a bonus either, cause it's a normal work week's pay... Unless this is phony irs junk that's been stealing from everyone.

How many hours are you supposed to get paid for vacation?
Depending upon your supplement, you may receive penalty pay if they don't correct the error quickly (if it is over $40 due).
Are you in the union?
Do you have a contract book? Otherwise you can access one online.
Educate yourself.
Not sure if 705 contract even exists to be looked at after being non-existent for 2+ years. I can't find it online. I might just wait till Monday and find a steward and HR.

UPSGUY72

So last year all my vacation and op was taxed as normal. This year I take a vacation only to get 10.27 vacation hours. What? I don't understand that at all. And on top of that it was taxed at 38%? I only get 11.50 and a typical week at ups could bring anywhere from $100 to $150, but a vacation check that only paid $118 got taxed almost 40% down to $73? Can someone explain this? Not only am I going to raise hell about the bogus vacation hours, but I feel as if someone screwed up in payroll...

If you feel someone screwed up when you next go to work go tell your center manager or FT manger that you got shorted in your vacation check. (NOT YOUR PT SUP) They will have it checked out and get back to you that day about whether you did or didn't if you did then they will pay you...

O

OLDMAN3

Not sure if 705 contract even exists to be looked at after being non-existent for 2+ years. I can't find it online. I might just wait till Monday and find a steward and HR.
You must have tried very hard. I googled "local 705 teamsters", clicked on their page and the UPS contract was right there. Good luck raising hell about UPS violating the contract when you wont even bother searching for it.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
$73 check. Lmfao. I would rather say "do you want fries with that" and make at least twice that. Wtf has this job become???????

You must have tried very hard. I googled "local 705 teamsters", clicked on their page and the UPS contract was right there. Good luck raising hell about UPS violating the contract when you wont even bother searching for it.
K. Googled local 705 teamsters, checked out the top few pages. Didn't find a contract "right there" after clicking on any of them. You sound like a very angry person who wants to get thumbs by acting like an ass on a website made to help. Sorry if I hurt your feelings because my hub didn't train us properly. I didn't know Turd Cafe was your life. It's UPS, not some utopia. Calm your tits.

$73 check. Lmfao. I would rather say "do you want fries with that" and make at least twice that. Wtf has this job become???????
Mmmhmm. That's why I already quit. Curious if they're trying to short me because of it, thinking they're gonna get away with it. My problem wasn't resolved here and that's fine. I'll just take it up on Monday. Peace

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Mmmhmm. That's why I already quit. Curious if they're trying to short me because of it, thinking they're gonna get away with it. My problem wasn't resolved here and that's fine. I'll just take it up on Monday. Peace

Did you miss time last year with an injury? If you don't have enough "reports" to get full vacations, they will pro-rate it. That could explain the 10.27 hours. Or it could be just another payroll error.

Now it makes sense.

UPSGUY72

Your problem are never going to get resolved on BC. The only thing your going to get from BC is advice on how to possible resolve the problem. Than it's up to you to due what you what with that advice or just do nothing with it. Looks like you choose the later.

good luck.

O

OLDMAN3

K. Googled local 705 teamsters, checked out the top few pages. Didn't find a contract "right there" after clicking on any of them. You sound like a very angry person who wants to get thumbs by acting like an ass on a website made to help. Sorry if I hurt your feelings because my hub didn't train us properly. I didn't know Turd Cafe was your life. It's UPS, not some utopia. Calm your tits.
Yep,
He quit, and didn't work enough shifts last year to get a full vacation check. He is too lazy to look up the contract provision for vacation pay himself, and gets angry when everyone else won't explain his rights when he posts on this board.

Oh...It was the 2nd Google search result for "local 705 teamsters", it must have been too hard to check more than the top link. Or perhaps you clicked the link but scrolling down half a page on the 705 page was too much work?

Is it just me, or is this new and up and coming group of UPSers a bit of a concern?

Last edited by a moderator:

box_beeyotch

Yep,
He quit, and didn't work enough shifts last year to get a full vacation check. He is too lazy to look up the contract provision for vacation pay himself, and gets angry when everyone else won't explain his rights when he posts on this board.

Oh...It was the 2nd Google search result for "local 705 teamsters", it must have been too hard to check more than the top link. Or perhaps you clicked the link but scrolling down half a page on the 705 page was too much work?

Is it just me, or is this new and up and coming group of UPSers a bit of a concern?

These kinds of people give my generation a bad name. The same people who park in a loading zone to go and get milk at the grocery store rather than walk their lazy asses 10 steps further from a parking spot.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

These kinds of people give my generation a bad name. The same people who park in a loading zone to go and get milk at the grocery store rather than walk their lazy asses 10 steps further from a parking spot.

I have no problem blocking these people in while making my deliveries and then pointing at the "Loading Zone" sign when they ask me to move.