10 hours off dot violation

Shocon17

I'm a new driver so I'm low on seniority and work preload when there's not a route for me. Yesterday after I worked preload they called me later in the day and asked to cover for the air driver that called in so I did. Today after work they called to tell me I violated the 10 hours off between shifts rule. What is the punishment for a dot violation?

I'm a new driver so I'm low on seniority and work preload when there's not a route for me. Yesterday after I worked preload they called me later in the day and asked to cover for the air driver that called in so I did. Today after work they called to tell me I violated the 10 hours off between shifts rule. What is the punishment for a dot violation?
Slap on the wrist up to termination. Seen it go both ways.

How many hours did you have off before working preload? How many hours between preload and covering the air route?

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
You’re allowed to violate either drive time or on duty time (not both) once a week. As far as violating a reset, I have no idea. Never done it. Maybe some of the more senior drivers can clear that up.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
@MECH-lift

trickpony1

A reasonable person would think that management knew, or should have known, the OP worked preload that morning and not called him in.

Seems there is some culpability on managements part.

Hope this helps.

It's not 10 hours off between shifts but 10 consecutive hours off in a 24 hour period. And only if you drive off property.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
It's not 10 hours off between shifts but 10 consecutive hours off in a 24 hour period. And only if you drive off property.
That’s what I thought too. Off property “drive time” is the only thing that matters?
Knew these 22.4 positions were dumb af. All the 22.4 people at my building never work inside, that I know of.

That’s what I thought too. Off property “drive time” is the only thing that matters?
Knew these 22.4 positions were dumb af. All the 22.4 people at my building never work inside, that I know of.
I am assuming he is a PT preloader and air exception driver. Happens a lot because of a lack of communication among management. They all just want to cover their areas.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
You can only work what you are assigned.

Whichever supe sent you out driving is the problem.

Still confused how you working in the building has anything to do with dot.

Goes back to when I said dot rules it apply at UPS when it's convenient.

@DumbTruckDriver @542thruNthru

Commercial Inside Release

That's what happens when you steal an air driver's work. They're going to have an awesome warning letter for you to sign, next time you report to work. Throw a big tantrum, and see that nothing at all happens to the supe.

That's what happens when you steal an air driver's work. They're going to have an awesome warning letter for you to sign, next time you report to work. Throw a big tantrum, and see that nothing at all happens to the supe.
I don't think he stole anyone's work. Air driver called in sick. Needed someone to cover. As long as he had 10 hours off before working preload and did not go over 14 hours, should not be a violation.

Commercial Inside Release

I'm assuming he's a temporary seasonal driver, never qualified, and is being kept on against the contract and still driving, despite protests of actual seniority drivers. The local is doing nothing about it, and also the OP is greedy.

Enjoy your warning letter.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
....so they are exempt from the legally binding contract and State and Federal laws?

Oh wait.......
Exactly. He should have just informed whatever sup was trying to send him out and refused on the grounds that he didn’t get a reset. There is absolutely nothing that sup could have done to him for following federal law.

I'm assuming he's a temporary seasonal driver, never qualified, and is being kept on against the contract and still driving, despite protests of actual seniority drivers. The local is doing nothing about it, an also the OP is also greedy.

Enjoy your warning letter.
Says he is a new driver without work that day and worked the preload for some hours. If he drove the day before and did not have 10 hours off before working preload it would be a violation. Should never have ordered him in to cover a route. Still his responsibility to say no.