10 minutes paid break, 50 minutes unpaid lunch

The Driver

I drive.
In my local, we're entitled to a 10-minute paid break. I always take it. We are also allowed to take up to 50 minutes of unpaid break. We're are more or less mandated to take at least 10 minutes of that 50 minutes. However, we're not mandated to take the full 50 minutes, so I rarely do. I'd like to spend that extra 40 minutes at home. I'm sure the vast majority of other drivers also just take the 10+10 and not the full 50 minutes. Part of me is frustrated that we all just don't take what our union brothers and sisters fought for. Our dispatches would be lower and there would be more routes in, and there's nothing management could do except for put a target on all our backs, which would accomplish little, in my opinion.

Anyone have this sort of situation in your area?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your post contradicts itself. On the one hand you say that we should honoe those who came before us by taking our full lunches and breaks when we are supposed to yet on the other hand you say that you rarely if ever take your full 50 minutes. Which one is it?

The Driver

I drive.
Well, I'm conflicted. Of course it's a contradiction. If my pay was docked because I didn't take that extra 40 minutes of unpaid break, I'd definitely take it. I'm sure the other drivers would, too. Most reasonable people don't want to work for free.

But seeing that we aren't docked that time we don't take beyond the 10+10... it's hard to build the desire to sit around for those extra 40 minutes when I could be working towards getting off the clock earlier.

The Driver

I drive.
So stop preaching that "we need to honor...." crap.

Either you do or you don't.

I never said "we need to honor" in any of my posts. I said that I am conflicted and a little frustrated. Can I not be a little conflicted and still ask a legitimate question about others' experiences?

DOK

Well, I'm conflicted. Of course it's a contradiction. If my pay was docked because I didn't take that extra 40 minutes of unpaid break, I'd definitely take it. I'm sure the other drivers would, too. Most reasonable people don't want to work for free.

But seeing that we aren't docked that time we don't take beyond the 10+10... it's hard to build the desire to sit around for those extra 40 minutes when I could be working towards getting off the clock earlier.
I know this might be unpopular to some, but that's why I like the bonus center I'm in. You can skip lunch to get home early yet still get paid your full dispatched day.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I know this might be unpopular to some, but that's why I like the bonus center I'm in. You can skip lunch to get home early yet still get paid your full dispatched day.

...who or what decides what "your full dispatched day" is?

....what happens when the company bastardizes those "#'s"?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

I don't blame you for working 9 hours and getting paid for 10, but the flipside is that the bonus centers had eliminated jobs.

If you were not on bonus, your center would have to add 1 route for every 10 on bonus. So a 50 route bonus center would have to add 5 routes and 5 employees if you eliminated bonus.

This is almost the same as people being put out of work due to automation.

How would you like to lose your job due to, I don't know, autonomous vehicles?

People don't have a job because you are on bonus.

It helps you at a price to others. Everybody for themselves, right? Who cares about the other guy.

This is the attitude as to why I got forced into Teamcare. And I am paying out the butthole.

upschuck

I don't blame you for working 9 hours and getting paid for 10, but the flipside is that the bonus centers had eliminated jobs.

If you were not on bonus, your center would have to add 1 route for every 10 on bonus. So a 50 route bonus center would have to add 5 routes and 5 employees if you eliminated bonus.

This is almost the same as people being put out of work due to automation.

How would you like to lose your job due to, I don't know, autonomous vehicles?

People don't have a job because you are on bonus.

It helps you at a price to others. Everybody for themselves, right? Who cares about the other guy.

This is the attitude as to why I got forced into Teamcare. And I am paying out the butthole.
What about the guys who like the money and stay out late, they also take jobs away. Nobody says a word about that.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What about the guys who like the money and stay out late, they also take jobs away. Nobody says a word about that.
You can't force a guy to work less. Hours if ups wants to give it to them.

Our local says you can force drivers to take their lunch.

upschuck

You can't force a guy to work less. Hours if ups wants to give it to them.

Our local says you can force drivers to take their lunch.
I am just saying the two situations are the same in regards to staffing needs, and no one says anything other than the money they are making. Anything otherwise in ingenuous.