10 Point Commentary ... verbatim or not?

I've been told that I'll be going to driving school within the next couple of weeks. I've memorized the 5 seeing habits verbatim. I've talked to several drivers, co-workers (who recently completed driving school), and one of my supervisors about the 10 point commentary. Everybody at my center said you don't need to know the commentary verbatim. I was told you can have your own rendition of the commentary as long as the meaning is the same. And I was also told it doesn't have to be in any particular order. Some of the threads I've read on here contradict what I was told at my center. So my question is, verbatim or not?

GenericUsername

5 seeing habits verbatim, 10 point commentary as you stated in your post about the same meaning.
Little tip I taught myself.

1 - stop
2 - go
3 - count 123
4 - 4-6, 6-8
5 - 8-12
6 - S, steering wheel
7 - S, stale green lights
8 - E, eye contact
9 - If you write the number 9 straight up and down with an o and a |, it looks like a car next to a curb.... (Just go with me on this one, it's the only way I could do it).
10 - Use of mirrors/etc. It's the only one I had to actually remember, so having to remember 1/10 myself and using the memorization tactic for the rest of it, not so bad...

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Depends how strict they are but I'd go I. Knowing it 100% like the back of your sack...seems overwhelming at first but it'll click I pinky swear with a kiss

5 seeing habits verbatim, 10 point commentary as you stated in your post about the same meaning.
Little tip I taught myself.

1 - stop
2 - go
3 - count 123
4 - 4-6, 6-8
5 - 8-12
6 - S, steering wheel
7 - S, stale green lights
8 - E, eye contact
9 - If you write the number 9 straight up and down with an o and a |, it looks like a car next to a curb.... (Just go with me on this one, it's the only way I could do it).
10 - Use of mirrors/etc. It's the only one I had to actually remember, so having to remember 1/10 myself and using the memorization tactic for the rest of it, not so bad...

Thanks! That's a good way to memorize them. I've also been using them when I'm driving. When I'm stopped in traffic leave a one car length space between my car and the car ahead...

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
you need to know them verbatim because you can be let go for basically any reason at any time

careful what advice you get from senior drivers as they are held to different standards than a new-hire

CoryAndTrevor

My trainers a month ago said the 10 point is being switched to verbatim.

Honestly, if I were you I would just memorize what they gave you. Do it like you would rehearse a play. Memorizing it by rote seems easier than having to actually think when it comes time for the test. Plus, you're already prepared if you get stuck with someone who demands it verbatim.

1. 1 car length
2. LEFT, right, LEFT (>2< lefts)
3. 1,2,>3< after car in front starts
4. 4 to 6 seconds...
5. 5 to 8 seconds...
6. Scan steering wheels ...six and scan start with S
7. Stale green lights... seven and stale start with S, Stale comes after Scan in the dictionary
8. 8 to 12 seconds eye lead
9. LEFT signal, LEFT mirror, LEFT shoulder... 3 lefts, 3×3=9
10. Eye to eye contact... Eye to eye sounds like 5 and 5, 5 and 5 makes 10

One at a time, read the full thing out loud 5 or 10 times, then see if you can say it without reading. If not, repeat, if yes, say it another 5 or 10 times. So on and so forth.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Sad they go all hardcore on these guys yet they're pushing slapping a UPS magnet on the side of 1999 Corolla, driven by a non background checked Vape lord, texting his girlfriend while scanning packages on his phone pulling up in your driveway, with us delivering the next street over.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Sad they go all hardcore on these guys yet they're pushing slapping a UPS magnet on the side of 1999 Corolla, driven by a non background checked Vape lord, texting his girlfriend while scanning packages on his phone pulling up in your driveway, with us delivering the next street over.
They won't deliver too many packages, once @MyTripisCut tunes up their Corolla...
797eac19-e620-4f7a-bba7-34a1b413b437.JPG