100 degrees and Women told not able to wear Tank Tops

czalinsky

I really need some advice here. I have been a Pre-Loader for 3 years now. Since it is summer time and the humidity is horrible (feels like 100) I load 3 trucks and it gets hot, we wear Tank tops... Well today Me and another girl on my belt were approached by a Sup. saying someone had complained about us wearing Tank Tops. He really didn't know why the Complaint was made and he didn't have a problem with them, but said "Maybe it's because they can see your Sports Bra Straps" The Tanks are not low cut and the other girl even had 2 on. IDK if matters but we are both thin and in our 30's. I'm almost 40. Nothing hangs out, lol He even said " Guys wear them and nothing is ever said." He was really nice about it and choosing his words carefully. We really are not "showing off" anything. It's just super hot and we are just trying to stay as cool as possible.

So basically, What would you do about this? He was very careful not to say we couldn't wear them just trying to discourage us from wearing them. Everyone is nice at our plant. No rude guys or anything like that. We have been wearing them for over a month now. And a lot of guys wear them too..

over9five

Staff member
I think she should wear a sweatshirt tomorrow, and when she gets to the hospital with heat exhaustion, make sure she mentions the sups name.

cheeks

Definitely continue to wear what it takes to be comfortable and safe. If if goes any further make sure NOBODY wears tanks to work. Make it a safety issue. Talk to your safety committee member for your shift.

czalinsky

We didn't. He just kept talking over us and just trying to figure out how to explain the complain to us. Thy guys wear them so I don't thing they can tell us we can't

czalinsky

Did you ask if the guys could no longer wear them, or is he discriminating against you???

I did say, "so we have to be hot and guys get to wear them" that's when he responded with the thing about the Sports Bra Straps. It was like he didn't know what to say. He actually started with that. "I really don't know how to word this correctly" Buttttt...

gingerkat

I'm a little torn on how I feel on this issue. On the one hand I get exactly how you feel. If men/women do the same job, then treat them exactly the same. But, on the other hand, as women we do have to keep covered up. I'm not sure why you are opposed to two extra capped sleeves? I know it's hot, but I know that those sleeves teeny sleeves will give you extra protection from chaffing in your armpit area and coverage from peeping eyes.

It's so easy to claim sexual harassment these days, maybe management is trying to "protect" itself? It also could be that some male coworker complained and he's being protected? Sometimes what "we" view as acceptable in the mirror in the morning, is not acceptable to others. It's no doubt in today's work world that men & women have different standards of dress code. We share that work place with others and have to make it livable.

Again, I see your point about wanting to be treating equally, but I also don't see how wearing two extra small sleeves is going to overheat you. I don't know, just my two cents...

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I'd continue to wear it, in an effort to have you be comfortable. As far as I know, there is no specific dress code for part timers, so for them to say you cannot wear something sounds like they are trying to get you to stop wearing the "offending" clothing, and hoping you'll say ok and not push it any further.

They cannot hold it against you because you are women and as such, happen to have breasts.

Everybody talks about equality, so for this to be an issues is laughable.

czalinsky

But, on the other hand, as women we do have to keep covered up. I'm not sure why you are opposed to two extra capped sleeves?

Again, I see your point about wanting to be treating equally, but I also don't see how wearing two extra small sleeves is going to overheat you. I don't know, just my two cents...
Actually I got chaffed bad from wearing the Sleeves. That is why I started wearing the Tanks. Trust me, everything is covered. The tanks are form fitting ribbed shirts(so they aren't see through) The other girl had 2 on. One form fitting and one looser on top of it.
And those Little capped sleeves are a lot easier to see inside a shirt then our tanks. I understand what your saying, but if they aren't going to say anything to the see through Wife beaters the guys wear why should it be any different if we are Completely Covered. (some times wearing 2 tanks, 1 form fitting one Looser)