1000 jobs gone by next peak

klein

Für Meno :)
All they need to do in reality is stop Saturday mail delivery.

But the Union won't allow that.
That's probably 20% in savings right there ! (5 days + 1 extra working day = 20%)

JonFrum

All they need to do in reality is stop Saturday mail delivery.

But the Union won't allow that.
That's probably 20% in savings right there ! (5 days + 1 extra working day = 20%)

Actually, it's Congress that won't allow it. The Unions may not want to give up Saturday delivery; but it's Congress' legal mandate that requires Saturday delivery, (and a number of other costly impositions.)

brownedout

I've been with the company 37 years and I've never known the District manager to do these things. I assume you are talking about the Division Manager and that person did these things all the time. That started changing around 1990 as the Division Manager's responsibilities changed and has done even more so. These people are more like executives now attending meetings, visiting customers and are more hands off on the operations other than what they can see on reports. The consolidations have made this even more so that Division Managers manage operations based on reports and metrics. It is what it is ... it is a much tougher job for Div Mgrs now than it was before.
Hoax, I am was indeed talking about Dist. Mgr. Your 1990 reference does coincide with when these practices seemed to end. The intent of my post more than that he is unseen, is that he acts unapproachable (dare I say ABOVE us) Also as I see you later posted, how their busy schedules MIGHT interfere with center visits. It should be a GIVEN that every center should expect to see their district manager at the very least once per year. Now being in the NJ District I'm not talking about a very large territory, as I'm sure other districts encompass entire multiple states. Hell even the Div. Mgr. what little he "pops" in, amounts to a drive through visit. What is going on with the upper-level (executive) positions at this company that they have decided this is the way the company we all helped build should be run? This is why people post sentiments that Jim Casey is rolling over in his grave. This is why I will only refer to Scott Davis as CEO Davis. I heard the jokes back when Jim Kelly was CEO, that we were run by a "trucker" but he would not have allowed half the bs that is infecting us now, to continue. This divide is caused by upper level management being clueless to what we at the centers do on a daily basis, and futhermore by same managers not allowing their charges to accurately witness said centers.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Interesting ... $54k is less than half the cost of 1 driver in a year so I doubt that cost was the determining factor in adjusting the SPC. Any idea what the actual factor was? Squeaky wheel gets greased?

We had drivers being laid off at the same time that other drivers were working the 14 hr days, so to compare the $54K in grievances to the cost of hiring an additional driver is not really accurate.

When a full-scale driver who is on the 9.5 list is forced to work 59 or 60 hours a week and files for penalty pay, he is essentially making over $90 an hour once he exceeds 47.5 hours for that week. So it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that a new hire in progression could be doing that same work for about 1/4 of the cost.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There will be a single scan by the driver. The smalls will be bagged in the preload.

They aren't just smalls anymore.
I have 22 going to the post office today, with 7 of then being boxes that aren't small.
No chance that there will be some misloads associated with this system?
I'm sure the Post Office will give them back to us in a few days.

evilleace

I load a truck that gets a rural post office some of the time the boxes are not small it is usually about half and half. Some days I load 70-100 for this PO usually 35-40 and I think that is to much I am dreading this surepost.

DS

Fenderbender
P-man, in regard to the preload method changes, do you see our preload scanning and bagging these SurePost packages and the driver simply scanning the barcode on the bag with the system then doing a logical scan updating the status of each package in that bag within 30 minutes of delivery?
Not unless they are really big bags upstate.....About UPS SurePost
Note: UPS SurePost is available only if you have a contract for this service.

The UPS SurePost services provide the convenience of UPS shipping and USPS-delivery to customers' mailboxes. UPS WorldShip determines if UPS or the USPS completes the final mile of delivery of each shipment.

When working with this service, keep in mind:
If this service is enabled, you can process a shipment with this service from the US 48 to the US 50, APO/FPO/DPO, PO Box, and US territory Ship To destinations. See Address Guidelines.

The shipments are validated and processed like small packages.

Each shipment must be a single piece forward shipment. The shipment navigation bar becomes inactive.

Four UPS SurePost services are available: SurePost Less than 1 lb, SurePost 1 lb or Greater, SurePost Bound Printed Matter, and SurePost Media.

An Endorsement value is required for USPS-delivery shipments.

Two sub-classes are available if you have a contract and select SurePost Less than 1 lb in the UPS Service box.

The total dimension of the package cannot exceed 130 inches if you select SurePost Less than 1 lb or SurePost 1 lb or Greater or 108 inches if you select SurePost Bound Printed Matter or SurePost Media in the UPS Service box. To determine this dimension, measure the package length and then add twice the width and twice the height.
The total package weight cannot exceed 70 pounds.

If you select a UPS SurePost service when the Unit of Measure system preference is Metric, the Unit of Measure is changed to Imperial for the UPS SurePost shipment only.

evilleace

When I went in today there were 4 skids full of what looked like disposable tote bags, that said United States Postal Service on them. Guess we are getting our stock for when surepost is implemented.

TUT

The question about residential delivery charges is what does that rate represent? For example say a package cost an additional $2 to deliver it to a residence. That $2 should be covering all costs with a profit. What all carriers (except USPS) is saying is we don't want to do resi's and we want the post office to deliver it instead, why? What does the $2 represent? If this indeed is a money loser, why isn't the charge more, like $3? Why isn't the service charge at a point where the carriers in fact do want to go out and deliver them to a residence? That is how the other special services work. They want your insurance amount for example. Why is residential a mixed/confused bag? Why doesn't it's service charge excite the carriers to want people to choose it? With USPS closing 1000's of post offices over the next few years, shipping services to residences is going backwards. I don't like the calendar moving forward and services (all walks of life) moving backwards, feels like fail, feels 3rd world to me. Price residential charges where it excites the carriers.

TUT

Not unless they are really big bags upstate.....About UPS SurePost
Note: UPS SurePost is available only if you have a contract for this service.

The UPS SurePost services provide the convenience of UPS shipping and USPS-delivery to customers' mailboxes. UPS WorldShip determines if UPS or the USPS completes the final mile of delivery of each shipment.

When working with this service, keep in mind:
If this service is enabled, you can process a shipment with this service from the US 48 to the US 50, APO/FPO/DPO, PO Box, and US territory Ship To destinations. See Address Guidelines.

The shipments are validated and processed like small packages.

Each shipment must be a single piece forward shipment. The shipment navigation bar becomes inactive.

Four UPS SurePost services are available: SurePost Less than 1 lb, SurePost 1 lb or Greater, SurePost Bound Printed Matter, and SurePost Media.

An Endorsement value is required for USPS-delivery shipments.

Two sub-classes are available if you have a contract and select SurePost Less than 1 lb in the UPS Service box.

The total dimension of the package cannot exceed 130 inches if you select SurePost Less than 1 lb or SurePost 1 lb or Greater or 108 inches if you select SurePost Bound Printed Matter or SurePost Media in the UPS Service box. To determine this dimension, measure the package length and then add twice the width and twice the height.
The total package weight cannot exceed 70 pounds.

If you select a UPS SurePost service when the Unit of Measure system preference is Metric, the Unit of Measure is changed to Imperial for the UPS SurePost shipment only.

You highlight 70 lbs max.. In many cases packages over 10 lbs are cheaper to still go by small package carrier and not USPS. That is typically where the spike starts.