1000 jobs gone by next peak

curiousbrain

I load a truck that gets a rural post office some of the time the boxes are not small it is usually about half and half. Some days I load 70-100 for this PO usually 35-40 and I think that is to much I am dreading this surepost.

I occasionally cover a pull in the building that gets a ton of bags for a post office; on the order of 150 bags and about 50 boxes. It's really not too bad, except when they decide to send all that down when you're busy loading the truck next to it which is an industrial/manufacturing park. I had never actually thought to check if this is the new SurePost or not (which I will do in the next day or so), but to the point about the difficulty of it, I personally don't find it too bad. Stands to reason that this may vary depending on the pull, the overall volume, etc.

Just throwing out some thoughts, though.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Ok..let me get this right...the USPS is losing billions of taxpayer dollars a year....so the goverment is going to let UPS, FEDEX make all the profit picking up the parcels and let the taxpayers lose all the money delivering them?

the USPS isn't taxpayer funded

they're losing billions of dollars a year because of a contract forcing them to pre-fund their pension fund

if it were not for that contractual obligation, they would be turning a modest profit

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
the USPS isn't taxpayer funded

they're losing billions of dollars a year because of a contract forcing them to pre-fund their pension fund

if it were not for that contractual obligation, they would be turning a modest profit

Good to see they are pre funding the pension. It's a future promise made that needs to be kept.

cicero1998

I am new to BC but not new to UPS. I have been working here for about 14yrs and have been driving for about 5. I admit I am more of a lurker, and I have my reasons why, but I do want to add this to the thread. The issue of UPS handling all the delivery points except the last mile is all well and good from a monetary aspect, but what UPS fails to realize is that what once would take, for example, 3 days to be delivered via UPS ground, now takes an extra day, even two, to be delivered that last mile by the very unreliable post office. And this is not conjecture either! I know 3 people, who during peak ordered something from various businesses were extremely angry to log onto UPS.com to check their package's delivery status and see that they were at the local UPS hub, only to be delivered two days later by the post office! These people were expecting their packages to be delivered the day after they were at the UPS hub, not the second day. Needless to say they were very angry and vowed not to use UPS again for this reason.

Now, I realize one or two or three customers are virtually invisible to UPS, but they can't be the only ones. I know that if I order something and the shipping options show UPS basic or Fed Ex, I will use Fed Ex so I can get the guaranteed delivery date, not the "window" that the post office gives for it's deliveries.

worldwide

These people were expecting their packages to be delivered the day after they were at the UPS hub, not the second day. Needless to say they were very angry and vowed not to use UPS again for this reason.

Why were they expecting that? If they tracked them on ups.com, it would have indicated the packages would be delivered the next day by the post office. Why would they expect UPS delivery when the system clearly shows UPS would NOT be delivering the package?

I know that if I order something and the shipping options show UPS basic or Fed Ex, I will use Fed Ex so I can get the guaranteed delivery date, not the "window" that the post office gives for it's deliveries.

UPS Basic and Fedex SmartPost are designed for low value, light weight shipments and are offers for price-driven shippers/receivers. If a customer wants the package overnight, in two days or three days, they are not going to select the slowest option (Basic or SmartPost). If you see an option for UPS Basic, you will most likely see an option for UPS air services if you want the package faster, and are willing to pay for it.

You prefer to take work away from your union brothers and give it to a non-union carrier?