1000 Jobs Saved...

rod

Retired 22 years
I haven't kept up on this story today. Did they ever say what was promised to them to stay in the US?

Meat

...and he hasn't even been sworn in yet. Hmmm....

I'm certainly happy for the employees, but this is merely a PR move, and in no way represents a viable path to a strong manufacturing base. Even if it did, how long before automation finishes what globalization has started?

Oldfart

I know you can spin it any way you want but it does look like companies are willing to work with Trump. It won't undo the damage that has been done in the last few years but it is a step in the right direction.

Meat

I know you can spin it any way you want but it does look like companies are willing to work with Trump. It won't undo the damage that has been done in the last few years but it is a step in the right direction.

Why wouldn't Carrier work with Trump or any other president? Doesn't one of their subsidiaries or parent companies have like a billion dollar defense contract? I suspect this may have had an effect on their ultimate decision to keep 1,000 workers who make $25 an hour around a bit longer.

Oldfart

Why wouldn't this company work with Trump or any other president? Doesn't one of their subsidiaries or parent companies have like a billion dollar defense contract? I suspect this may have had an effect on their ultimate decision to keep 1,000 workers who make $25 an hour around a bit longer.
Didn't seem like the sitting president had any influence on their choice to originally announce the move. They already built the factory in Mexico that the new jobs were gonna work in. Where was the influence of Obama when that was being built?

Meat

Didn't seem like the sitting president had any influence on their choice to originally announce the move. They already built the factory in Mexico that the new jobs were gonna work in. Where was the influence of Obama when that was being built?

It will indeed be interesting to see how Trump and Pence "influenced" Carrier's decision. I'm sure the fact that Pence is the governor of Indiana and has a say in tax consessions has nothing to do with it, either. To answer your question, I'm not sure where Obama's influence was, but that could be said of every president since the Ford administration.

vantexan

I'm certainly happy for the employees, but this is merely a PR move, and in no way represents a viable path to a strong manufacturing base. Even if it did, how long before automation finishes what globalization has started?
Why, it's almost like the opposition wants the new president to fail. If full automation was remotely close there wouldn't be a need to move to Mexico.

Meat

Why, it's almost like the opposition wants the new president to fail.

I know sods such as yourself tend to think in binary terms, but it has been awhile since I voted within the two-party system, so I wouldn't call myself the opposition per se. Furthermore, why would I want the system to fail? Like most on these boards - well, not so much yourself - I have assets that I want to continue to grow. Yet another absurd comment - congrats!

vantexan

I know sods such as yourself tend to think in binary terms, but it has been awhile since I voted within the two-party system, so I wouldn't call myself the opposition per se. Furthermore, why would I want the system to fail? Like most on these boards - well, not so much yourself - I have assets that I want to continue to grow. Yet another absurd comment - congrats!
You think you're clever and that I have no idea what a sod is. Telling that when I said opposition you immediately assumed I meant you. Are you a narcissist by chance? Would explain a lot.

bbsam

Staff member
Haven't said anything yet other than Carrier said some concessions were made.
So what should we think? Carrier was going to go to Mexico to escape high wages. A new administration comes in and they decide to stay.

Somehow Carrier is seeing those prospective savings by staying in the US. Is it on the taxpayers dime? How much of that $25/hr did you and I just pick up for this multi-billion dollar company? And you cheer it before asking the obvious questions ?

Bounty

So what should we think? Carrier was going to go to Mexico to escape high wages. A new administration comes in and they decide to stay.

Somehow Carrier is seeing those prospective savings by staying in the US. Is it on the taxpayers dime? How much of that $25/hr did you and I just pick up for this multi-billion dollar company? And you cheer it before asking the obvious questions ?
And if the 1000 jobs were lost we would of supported those people through welfare and unemployment. Wake up!!

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Carrier claimed they would save $65M by moving the jobs abroad. No details yet as to what was given to them to entice them to keep only some of those jobs here. I had heard on the evening news it was in the millions of dollars. Maybe more details will come out soon.

Whatever the incentive was, we will all be paying for it.

Oldfart

No different than many other incentive plans to prevent companies from moving. 1000 jobs is a pretty good head count. Plus all the related jobs that are created to support that large facility by outside vendors.

Our local Chamber did a study and it showed that for every $1 of incentive that companies received for job incentive, the local economy received $1.45 back in local sales tax, property taxes and other taxes those workers and companies paid. From reading on here, I realize math is not people's strong point, but $1.45 is always more than $1.

Bounty

No different than many other incentive plans to prevent companies from moving. 1000 jobs is a pretty good head count. Plus all the related jobs that are created to support that large facility by outside vendors.

Our local Chamber did a study and it showed that for every $1 of incentive that companies received for job incentive, the local economy received $1.45 back in local sales tax, property taxes and other taxes those workers and companies paid. From reading on here, I realize math is not people's strong point, but $1.45 is always more than $1.
Don't try to explain it to him, he just likes to argue even if his position makes no sense.

It will be fine

So your local chamber of commerce, an organization that exists to serve the interests of companies, put out a study that says giving companies money is good for everyone and more than pays for itself. Well I'm convinced.

bbsam

Staff member

Are you equally convinced that government subsidies to the poor also provide stimulus to the economy ? Because there are many studies that show that to be true.