10min Late = NoCall No Show?

over9five

Staff member
I would definately pull that steward aside and have a talk with him. Ask him to talk to these late employees. Ask him if you should start disciplinary procedures. Tell him if he doesn't talk to them, you WILL start the process.

And finally: Why don't you start disciplinary procedures? Get rid of the slackers, and hire replacements. It's hit or miss with new hires, but you could get some good ones.

I have the same standards as you. In my career, I've been late one time (because of a ice storm, I was 3 hours late, everyone was). I think strolling in after your start time is unacceptable.
Work ethic is old-fashioned, it would seem. This generation just doesn't have it.
The world in decay.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Start time is start time, not about the time you should be pulling into the parking lot or going to the bathroom. I show up 10 -15 min. early each day to BS with the other drivers and have a cup of coffee before start. Seems like everyone has a cell phone now. So if you are stuck in traffic or are going to be a few min. late call in. If you let people get away with being late it will just get worse. No wonder they backed our start times off and keep us out late if they can't get some to show up on time.

DS

Fenderbender
Showing up on time is a prerequisite to being employed.
I agree with over9 (and like his new avatar) that you should
discipline the latecomers .It would be good if you could retain thier respect with the 3 times rule...send them home if they dont clue in.

Braveheart

It is not a no call no show. File a grievance ASAP. You will be given progressive discipline however. If you have no prior issues then it will be ok as long as you file. If you have only one or two in the past nine months it should still only be a warning letter. Unless you already have a warning letter. I think at worst if you file a grievance it will end in suspension at most. I have witnessed others who stopped being late and it was thrown out. They say they just want to change your behavior.

Being on time from here on out will only help you show the problem is fixed.

If they are out of control then supervisor working grievances always help.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Fairly simple concept--start time 9:00am, show up and be ready to go by that time. Not 9:05, not 9:10.

Favored workers--absolutely. So what? Guy busts his ass--look the other way on a minor infraction. Guy does the bare minimum after showing up late--drop the hammer. I don't have a problem with that.
I guess that makes me old school.

B

been around the block

Stewards are not management and shouldn't be 'talking to' the employees about attendance because management asked them to, that's the supervisor's job. Time for the supervisor to grow a set and establish a uniform attendance policy and stick to it. Seems like the Company has been lax about this and is reaping what they sow.

Policys vary by building, because that is the UPS way. Think about what you are doing because if it is hard to train and retain good preloaders you may cause a bigger problem by firing them. One policy that has seemed to serve both purposes is:
1 infraction (late, absent)= 1 occurance
1st Infraction: Talk with employee and Steward
2nd Infraction: fill out E.Q.U.I.P form with employee and Steward
3rd Infraction: Final talk with employee and Steward
4th Infraction: Warning Letter
5th Infraction: 1 day suspension
6th Infraction: 3 day suspenson
7th Infraction: 5 day suspension
8th Infraction: Termination

Infractions fall off after 9 months and revert to previous step. Each step is documented in pittsburgh. Don't count entitlements as infractions if you want a strong case. Ask employee if there is an FMLA covered reason for the absences and if so get employee on FMLA. For normal sickness, we only require doctors notes on the 5 day of absence. Work with your employee (such as moving start time) to better show that it's the employee with the problem, not Management on their back. Have phones staffed at all times and give out your company cell phone number for call-ins. Encourage employees to call the 800 number if they can't get through as calls are logged.

Finally, realize that a happy workplace is a workplace employees want to be at. It's always going to be UPS but do what you can to make your work area somewhere people aren't dreading to go to.