18yr olds allowed to drive commercial vehicles included in infrastructure bill

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Yep 18 yrs to drive package car or feeder
The drive safe act is included in the infrastructure bill.
Though 49 states and the District of Columbia allow individuals to obtain a commercial driver’s license (CDL) at the age 18, federal law currently prohibits those operators from moving goods from state to state until they are 21. The DRIVE-Safe Act establishes an apprenticeship program that would allow for the legal operation of a commercial motor vehicle in interstate commerce by CDL holders under the age of 21.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Oh well. Are you an adult at 18 or not?
The level of maturity is not there at 18 or even 21 to handle the responsibility of driving big trucks. package cars perhaps.
The truck drivers I see on the road now are scary enough as it is. In Cali anyway most can not speak English and they are terrible
drivers from Russia, Eastern European countries, Indians , and so on.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
The level of maturity is not there at 18 or even 21 to handle the responsibility of driving big trucks. package cars perhaps.
The truck drivers I see on the road now are scary enough as it is. In Cali anyway most can not speak English and they are terrible
drivers from Russia, Eastern European countries, Indians , and so on.
Outside of the city limits...

Country boys are responsibly driving heavy machinery...

Everyday.

And...

If you don't complete said chores you shall get disciplined.

And they are well below 18.

Hope this helps.

Though 49 states and the District of Columbia allow individuals to obtain a commercial driver’s license (CDL) at the age 18, federal law currently prohibits those operators from moving goods from state to state until they are 21. The DRIVE-Safe Act establishes an apprenticeship program that would allow for the legal operation of a commercial motor vehicle in interstate commerce by CDL holders under the age of 21.
Can't be any worse than these illegal immigrants that drive tractor trailers and claim speak English...

Last edited:

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Outside of the city limits...

Country boys are responsibly driving heavy machinery...

Everyday.

And...

If you don't complete said chores you shall get disciplined.

And they are well below 18.

Hope this helps.
We are not talking about driving down the road. We are talking about 11hrs a day 60 to 70hrs a week

HFolb23

I’ll give the unpopular opinion then. Everybody has to start somewhere, might as well start them young.

Nobody ever blinked when I was 18 driving a tractor trailer for the Army. No CDL, no DOT rules to follow, hauled anything that fit on the trailer without ever thinking once about dimensions or weights.

I know 12-14 year olds that can maneuver a tractor trailer better than some of my feeder coworkers can. Kids are pretty good with the 15 speed running from farm to field too, LONG days during harvest season and no DOT hours considered. Biggest struggle most kids have in these trucks is needing the seat low enough to reach the pedals and still be tall enough to see over the hood. I have family friends that are farmers, loggers, cement guys, well diggers, and dump truck drivers. Of those that are parents, I don’t think there’s a child among them that hasn’t driven dads truck in some way shape or form. When kids grow up around trucks they tend find themself in the dads seat pretty young.

Let’s be real. The kids that are interested in trucking at 18 aren’t the ones eating tide pods and doing tik tok challenges.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I’ll give the unpopular opinion then. Everybody has to start somewhere, might as well start them young.

Nobody ever blinked when I was 18 driving a tractor trailer for the Army. No CDL, no DOT rules to follow, hauled anything that fit on the trailer without ever thinking once about dimensions or weights.

I know 12-14 year olds that can maneuver a tractor trailer better than some of my feeder coworkers can. Kids are pretty good with the 15 speed running from farm to field too, LONG days during harvest season and no DOT hours considered. Biggest struggle most kids have in these trucks is needing the seat low enough to reach the pedals and still be tall enough to see over the hood. I have family friends that are farmers, loggers, cement guys, well diggers, and dump truck drivers. Of those that are parents, I don’t think there’s a child among them that hasn’t driven dads truck in some way shape or form. When kids grow up around trucks they tend find themself in the dads seat pretty young.

Let’s be real. The kids that are interested in trucking at 18 aren’t the ones eating tide pods and doing tik tok challenges.
good points. I'm just speaking from my experiences driving in cities, Bay Area Cali. Los Angeles , etc.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Let's be real here...

Most city boys...

And I say most because this isn't pertaining to all.

Most city boys couldn't AND wouldn't do a half day of country work.

rickyb

pretty sure NAFTA lets mexican commercial drivers on US roads LOL

vantexan

I worked the sugar beet harvest in North Dakota last October. Not one driver bringing beets from the fields was underage. No doubt there are kids driving tractors out in the fields but I think it's a stretch to say 14 yr olds are hauling corn down to the co-op.

HFolb23

I worked the sugar beet harvest in North Dakota last October. Not one driver bringing beets from the fields was underage. No doubt there are kids driving tractors out in the fields but I think it's a stretch to say 14 yr olds are hauling corn down to the co-op.
You mean farmers aren’t letting their sons and daughters drive roads where they might go past scales or a DOT wagon? I can’t imagine why…

No 14 year olds are driving anywhere they’ll get bothered. But from farm to field they absolutely are. Hay bales and feed corn don’t go to the co-op.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
No it’s not seen it a hundred times
It’s all hands on deck at harvest time for mom and pop operations