1997 Strike. Old heads only. On Topic.

Hethatbeking

I was 12 years old win UPSERS struck back in '97 and I would like a few folks who held the line to read me in on the chain of events that lead to the strike.

Inthegame

While dining in contract preparation a corporate shill with a rat fetish spilled some poison on Dave Murray's sandwich in mid July. Murray started forgetting what he'd agreed to and by then end of the month chaos ensued. By mid August, Murray regained consciousness and memory, and found his way.

Re-Raise

I felt like the company thought it was a good time to try to make a run at taking over control of the pensions. They sent out mailings telling us how our contributions were supporting the pensions of other teamsters from other companies and that we would be better off getting out of those multi-employer funds. (probably all true)

They had just started to offer stock purchasing to hourlies and begun so-called self directed work groups to make us feel like we were more invested in the company.

I had already been with the company long enough to not trust the company without union protection going forward and I felt that the union would cease to exist without the pensions.

We were also trying to fight for more full-time positions which resonated with a lot of the population at the time.

Hethatbeking

I felt like the company thought it was a good time to try to make a run at taking over control of the pensions. They sent out mailings telling us how our contributions were supporting the pensions of other teamsters from other companies and that we would be better off getting out of those multi-employer funds. (probably all true)

They had just started to offer stock purchasing to hourlies and begun so-called self directed work groups to make us feel like we were more invested in the company.

I had already been with the company long enough to not trust the company without union protection going forward and I felt that the union would cease to exist without the pensions.

We were also trying to fight for more full-time positions which resonated with a lot of the population at the time.
So how did the strike happen? Were there multiple no voting on the proposal(s)? How did the union organize the strike?

bowhnterdon

I was totally against the Pension takeover at the time. If I could see then what I do now, I would have voted for it. Our multi employer fund is struggling because of Trucking companies long gone..

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I was doing day labor and any side job I could. I had a baby and a wife to support. Unlike everyone on this site I didn’t have 2 million in the bank or the time tostand outside the hub all day making blank threats to scabs. Kinda wish UPS had ended multi employer pensions then. Crap has gone downhill since

jagger john

I was 12 years old win UPSERS struck back in '97 and I would like a few folks who held the line to read me in on the chain of events that lead to the strike.
in 97 ups went from 70 lb to 150lb packages never negotiated with union president ron carey told them no way so we got a call friday that we are on strike monday

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Kinda wish UPS had ended multi employer pensions then.

So....

Screw all the other Teamsters.

What does it say under your screen name ?

in 97 ups went from 70 lb to 150lb packages never negotiated with union president ron carey told them no way so we got a call friday that we are on strike monday

Wrong.

It was 1995.... and only half of the Locals walked.... for one day.

Don't try and make stuff up.

-Bug-

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So how did the strike happen? Were there multiple no voting on the proposal(s)? How did the union organize the strike?
Never voted on the proposal. The company made a "last, best and final offer" that Carey refused to accept because of all the stuff about pensions etc. When the company wouldn't budge from that position he called a strike.

F

Frankie's Friend

While dining in contract preparation a corporate shill with a rat fetish spilled some poison on Dave Murray's sandwich in mid July. Murray started forgetting what he'd agreed to and by then end of the month chaos ensued. By mid August, Murray regained consciousness and memory, and found his way.
20180122_223008.jpg

Comatose and liked it that way.
"Least best and fraudulent offer."

F

Frankie's Friend

Never voted on the proposal. The company made a "last, best and final offer" that Carey refused to accept because of all the stuff about pensions etc. When the company wouldn't budge from that position he called a strike.
The company proposals sucked and it was Not about just pensions.
HMOs, performances based raises, increased subcontracting are also a few show stoppers.