1997 UPS Work Stoppage

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
It's August, 1997. You get that call from your Steward that you are on strike. Your Center Manager also follows up with a call & verifies it's true & he'll be in contact. Of course you don't answer his call, you let your answering machine take it because you're sick to your guts on what it all means and what happens now. You start to wonder about your vacations in the fall, if you'll get those if it's really your last day at UPS. You think, If an agreement is reached will all my vacation be used as time off during the stoppage. You don't know... you think about the bills you have and if your nut snip in September needs rescheduled or canceled, same with your kids dental appointments. A wave of anxiety rushes over you. You think, where can I find another job pronto that pays as well with those kind of benefits. You start thinking about Al Bundy selling shoes on Married with Children. Family starts calling, because it's all over the news. Spouse is nervous. Everything's a mess.

It's like that one past love of your life you had plans spending eternity with tells you she just wants to be friends & still loves you but only like a brother.

You picket Day after Day in shifts. Bosses you knew as good guys are suddenly ISIS and they feel the same way about you.

Public gets wind of what UPS employees make and there's loud friend--- U's being rained down on you from chip drivers making half the money you make. Loyal customers that own their business shoot you the bird because they had critical documents or parts that are now stuck & backed up in the UPS system.

Finally you win, company agrees and you celebrate the victory. You come back to work and slowly you realize they're not going to honor jack s*! In fact, they are going to make it even harder on you and THEY DO!!! Boy do they. Just ask any long-tooth hourly who worked at UPS in the 80's thru 96 compared to today.

Company is very vindictive. They will never forget. It will haunt you the rest of your career.

Anyways, Happy Saturday! Enjoy your weekend. :-)

Box Ox

The desperation behind your cheeseball posts is so cringe.

Company is very vindictive. They will never forget. It will haunt you the rest of your career.

I'll take my chances on not losing the Union completely by being complicit in passing sellout contracts. It's what you and your bosses are desperately hoping for, which is why you're pushing so hard for it.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It's August, 1997. You get that call from your Steward that you are on strike. Your Center Manager also follows up with a call & verifies it's true & he'll be in contact. Of course you don't answer his call, you let your answering machine take it because you're sick to your guts on what it all means and what happens now. You start to wonder about your vacations in the fall, if you'll get those if it's really your last day at UPS. You think, If an agreement is reached will all my vacation be used as time off during the stoppage. You don't know... you think about the bills you have and if your nut snip in September needs rescheduled or canceled, same with your kids dental appointments. A wave of anxiety rushes over you. You think, where can I find another job pronto that pays as well with those kind of benefits. You start thinking about Al Bundy selling shoes on Married with Children. Family starts calling, because it's all over the news. Spouse is nervous. Everything's a mess.

It's like that one past love of your life you had plans spending eternity with tells you she just wants to be friends & still loves you but only like a brother.

You picket Day after Day in shifts. Bosses you knew as good guys are suddenly ISIS and they feel the same way about you.

Public gets wind of what UPS employees make and there's loud friend--- U's being rained down on you from chip drivers making half the money you make. Loyal customers that own their business shoot you the bird because they had critical documents or parts that are now stuck & backed up in the UPS system.

Finally you win, company agrees and you celebrate the victory. You come back to work and slowly you realize they're not going to honor jack s*! In fact, they are going to make it even harder on you and THEY DO!!! Boy do they. Just ask any long-tooth hourly who worked at UPS in the 80's thru 96 compared to today.

You’re suppose to be on vacation I thought, you continue your streak of disappointment.

KoennenTiger

Yeah you do realize corporate bot person that the public loves their UPS man, that the companies we deliver to we also stop and chat with the owners and let them know what's going on, and that during that last strike the corporate tools who live in a corporate bubble world thought that the public would side with them and be angry at the ups labor but the opposite happened. The public blamed the incredibly greedy corporate cok sukers who have been busily hoovering up all the productivity increases of the last fifty years to try to become an aristocracy.

The public hates you.

The 1997 strike meant a couple more weeks of vacation in August and when we came back the company had me running NDA misloads all over the state in the AM and working car wash in the PM. It was a win win for me.

Box Ox

Bosses you knew as good guys are suddenly ISIS and they feel the same way about you.

Those ships already sailed a long time ago. And you and the Company are hoping and praying that Union hourlies will someday no longer be protected against it.

Starting with no protections for 22.4 drivers. A huge chunk of potential FT hourlies. Analysts have been suprised that the Union has agreed to up to 25% of drivers being 22.4s. You're just trying to ram it home. I respect that. It's just really cheesy the way you're doing it.

Last edited:
F

Frankie's Friend

Put down your teddy bear, your lollipop, and turn off the spongenob show.

It's time to change your diaper and go to your crib.

Tony Q

What I find funny is that in this contract that everyone hails as the greatest ups contract Ron Carey started a two tier wage for full timers.

What I find funny is that in this contract that everyone hails as the greatest ups contract Ron Carey started a two tier wage for full timers.
That’s what I’ve been saying. Plus kicked the central states problem down the road.

F

Frankie's Friend

Nah, we hail Carey as a man that had the spine (multiple times) to face off the company and pull the plug.
The company demands for that CBA in 1997?

HMOs for healthcare.

Performance based raises with jurisdiction by the company to grant those raises.

More subcontracting.

The list goes on.

They wanted a fight, they picked the fight, we finished the fight.

Get off Carey. At least he was a upser that came up thru the ranks.

F

Frankie's Friend

That’s what I’ve been saying. Plus kicked the central states problem down the road.
You're so lost dude.

The company offered us an extra grand a month to cross the line and give the pension to them and Carey knew many members didnt have enough spine to decline the boost.

The company also knew the shape of the funding and knew it would sink central states but they had little to lose by offering it.
Sunk the ship either way.

Tell the truth or shut up. Got enough fitbits on here already.