1st day as a driver

UPS_88

Go out tomorrow for my 1st day as a driver. Any advise on what I can expect for my 1st day and 1st week. I’m already aware that I’ll be with a sup for my 1st week

Pretty much used to the forum by now so all advice is appreciated. Positive, Negative and comical

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Go out tomorrow for my 1st day as a driver. Any advise on what I can expect for my 1st day and 1st week. I’m already aware that I’ll be with a sup for my 1st week

Pretty much used to the forum by now so all advice is appreciated. Positive, Negative and comical
When you’re driving, only focus on driving safely. When you’re delivering, only focus on delivering safely. Do that all day. And good luck!!

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
F9986F3B-09D3-49FA-B25C-E93D51F88416.gif

Tony Q

Learn as much as you can about the area so thee next day you will know about half the route. Repeat the next day and so on.

Tony Q

Thank you
No problem, hopefully they will keep you in one defined area. You just need to prepare yourself for the worst and go from there. It will get better as you get the hang of it. Try not to get discouraged and don't let customers who might be rude to you get under your skin. Just remain positive and keep on plugging.

old levi's

blank space
Keep your head in the game, don't worry about how much is in the back of the truck.
Always check your diad to see if the pkg. count is down to zero, before you leave. Always!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Drive fast, take chances!

ibleedbrown

drive carefully and slow around turns, if you drive too wild your load will be all over the floor making hard to find packages. sort and organize your first 30 stops before you leave the building, use your breaks to sort and organize your load. ask pre-loader if there is anything you should know about load, ask drivers next to you for advice on how to run the route.

don't come in late, don't miss any days, don't get hurt, don't hit anything.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
Keep your head in the game, don't worry about how much is in the back of the truck.
Always check your diad to see if the pkg. count is down to zero, before you leave. Always!

In the old days we just looked in the back---Have I told you lately how though we had it?

rod

Retired 22 years
I’ve been meaning to ask about this, can UPS do anything if you use their truck to go on tinder dates while on lunch. As long as it’s in your delivery area?
I used to bring my wife along when I was first married on my shuttle route to North Dakota. It made the 176 mile ride back to our center way more interesting.

Box Ox

Well yeah, but can I park it in front of their house and eat my lunch inside? They won’t get all pissy with me if they randomly come out on area?

Shouldn't if you're not blocking the street, creating unsafe conditions or adding miles to do so. Especially if residents are already parking their own cars on the street. Lunch is all yours and you've gotta stop when you've gotta stop to be safe. Management wouldn't question heading inside a business or home by invitation for air conditioning during the southern summers we've got where I am.

I've known drivers to take lunch at their own houses. Parking brake, flashers on and shut all your doors so kids and animals don't climb in.